The new Dr Who, what do you think?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I like Matt Smith too. But I'm really starting to go off Steven Moffatt's vision of the show. The duplo Daleks, the upcoming horrific redesign of the Silurians and now the Weeping Angels are defeated by throwing them into the McGuffin from another episode. That we haven't even seen yet.

And does anyone else think that it's inappropriate in a family show for one of the heroes to have such a casual attitude towards infidelity?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Pista
Cureboi

stufarq wrote:
And does anyone else think that it's inappropriate in a family show for one of the heroes to have such a casual attitude towards infidelity?
Not seen it yet, but yes.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

stufarq wrote:And does anyone else think that it's inappropriate in a family show for one of the heroes to have such a casual attitude towards infidelity?
No. The purpose of the show is to entertain, not to lecture the viewer in the moral system of any particular religion or set of ethics.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

From a purely practical standpoint, a show that's now primarily aimed at pre-adolescents is going to be awkward to watch when it tries to shows characters being amorous in a bedroom setting. :|

From a purely frothing fan-boy standpoint WHAT THE FRIED FOOKIN' FOOK IS GOING ON HERE?

:evil:
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

most enjoyable episode, even when it turned into Carry on Companion :lol:

talking of which, for Weebs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoisPQqn ... r_embedded
DeWinter

[quote="stufarq"]

And does anyone else think that it's inappropriate in a family show for one of the heroes to have such a casual attitude towards infidelity?[/quote as

Or for the Doctor to use the word "slutty" to describe those vampire women? Did make me raise an eyebrow a bit. If it's a kids show, as it is aimed at being, keep the language appropriate.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

hellboy69 wrote:most enjoyable episode, even when it turned into Carry on Companion :lol:

talking of which, for Weebs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoisPQqn ... r_embedded
I thank you :notworthy:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

DeWinter wrote:
stufarq wrote:

Or for the Doctor to use the word "slutty" to describe those vampire women? Did make me raise an eyebrow a bit. If it's a kids show, as it is aimed at being, keep the language appropriate.
Yep. Same goes for the joke about giving Amy a seeing to. Cue lots of four year olds asking parents awkward questions.
lazarus corporation wrote:No. The purpose of the show is to entertain, not to lecture the viewer in the moral system of any particular religion or set of ethics.
Who said anything about lecturing? My point was that the subject shouldn't have been broached in a show of this nature.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

stufarq wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:No. The purpose of the show is to entertain, not to lecture the viewer in the moral system of any particular religion or set of ethics.
Who said anything about lecturing? My point was that the subject shouldn't have been broached in a show of this nature.
It's the same thing - by showing the "heroes" conforming to one particular moral code then the show is actively promoting that moral code by associating it with the heroes (the characters with whom you are supposed to identify).

Out of interest, do you have any problem with the oft-repeated fact that the Doctor is a thief (it is frequently mentioned in the series that he stole the Tardis from the Timelords)? Presumably the hero shouldn't have such a casual attitude towards property law?
DeWinter

lazarus corporation wrote: It's the same thing - by showing the "heroes" conforming to one particular moral code then the show is actively promoting that moral code by associating it with the heroes (the characters with whom you are supposed to identify).

Out of interest, do you have any problem with the oft-repeated fact that the Doctor is a thief (it is frequently mentioned in the series that he stole the Tardis from the Timelords)? Presumably the hero shouldn't have such a casual attitude towards property law?
At the risk of sounding like that reverend's daughter in the Simpsons it's just language that shouldn't be used in a children's show. If they want to aim it at kids with lunchboxes, and heavy, heavy merchandising, then yes, there's appropriate and otherwise. Innuendo can be funny in a kids programme if it's done properly. That made the Carry On films look positively subtle.
Oh, he was tried, and found guilty of that ages ago. End of "The War Games". Lost a "life" and exiled to Earth. They let him off after he saved the universe from Omega. And he was also put on trial for genocide at one point, too.

Anyway..The Silurians..takes an effort to make creatures less realistic 40 years after they first appeared! If their backstory is done with a light hand they could be quite sympathetic.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Bring back Rose, then have a three-way ;D
DeWinter

weebleswobble wrote:Bring back Rose, then have a three-way ;D
Just stick some wine gum lips on the end of a plank of wood. No-one will notice the difference, except the plank of wood can probably emote better..
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

DeWinter wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:Bring back Rose, then have a three-way ;D
Just stick some wine gum lips on the end of a plank of wood. No-one will notice the difference, except the plank of wood can probably emote better..
who said anything about acting ? :innocent:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hey weebs, you might stand a chance with Billie Piper.

Going off her track record with Chris Evans she likes ginger cnuts ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

lazarus corporation wrote:
stufarq wrote:
It's the same thing - by showing the "heroes" conforming to one particular moral code then the show is actively promoting that moral code by associating it with the heroes (the characters with whom you are supposed to identify).

They should probably stop lecturing us about not killing people too.
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

It's intial premise was to teach kids science no ?

As for the Doctor as a thief, I believe the idea was that he didn't agree with the Timelords's directives regarding the universe and "borrowed" an older model of TARDIS who's chameleon circuit was broken.

He's not a "Han Solo" more a Cpt Mal (Firefly), he takes advantage of resources at hand for the greater good.

As for morals, I think one of the most powerful episodes I watched was when Teagan left Peter Davidison's Doctor in the Dalek episode. She says something to the effect of leaving when it wasn't fun anymore. Torchwood smashed this with Children On Earth, jesus what a mini series that was :eek:

The one thing I will give Matt Smith was in his debut where he confronts the bad guys and tells them how many enemies he's thwarted from Earth with nothing and we have a neat flashback and then he looks them in their eye and says "Run !" :notworthy:
End of line.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

stufarq wrote: They should probably stop lecturing us about not killing people too.
Apart from when they press the Reset button and bring everyone back to life, a la Flesh and Stone last week.

The Doctor's moral ambiguity is usually tied in to the overarching moral code of the story. He usually acts in terms of the Greater Good, but its relativity adjusts, going from exterminating the Vervoids in Terror of the Vervoids, all the way up to wiping out the greater part of Gallifrey and the Dalek Empire. Ultimately the universe benefits.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

spot778 wrote:It's intial premise was to teach kids science no ?
That was part of its remit but its main purpose was to create a family show that would bridge the gap between kids' and adults' programmes and have the whole family watching together, family values being a big priority back in 1963.
spot778 wrote:Torchwood smashed this with Children On Earth, jesus what a mini series that was :eek:
Different show, different morals. But yes, unlike the rest of Torchwood, the mini-series was excellent.
timsinister wrote: Apart from when they press the Reset button and bring everyone back to life, a la Flesh and Stone last week.
Um, when did they do that? Everyone who'd died over the course of the story was either still dead or had never existed by the end. No reset. There was, however, a ridiculous reset a couple of years ago in The Last Of The Time Lords.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Strippers and knob gags this week.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I enjoyed the knob gags.

I thought the episode was ok, apart from the fact that they EXPLODED a 15 foot killer lobster with a hand mirror.

On a deeper level I thought it was very poor.

In this episode the Doctor was effectively wiping out an entire race for the crime of doing what they they had to do in order to preserve survive. The episode could have focused on the alien's desperate struggle, doing what they had to do to ensure the continuation of their own race. Instead they were 2 dimensional villains that cackled manically every time they killed someone off. It was also inconsistent, to illustrate I'll look at an earlier episode.

In The Beast Below. The people on the Starship were horrendously torturing a kind and intelligent creature into insanity out of sheer ignorance, and the Doctor let them off scot free. In this episode, a group of water creatures sees their home world lost in an inter dimensional catastrophe - they mess with a couple of human beings AND HE WIPES OUT THEIR ENTIRE SPECIES.

This in itself was pretty disappointing, considering what I've come to expect from DW in the last few series, e.g. the wonderfully emotive way in which the horror of the Time War and The Doctor's grief were illustrated, and the morale conundrums raised when he used his massive power to make decisions that would effect entire worlds.

Doctor Who could be a deeply philosophical program - and under Tenant it often was. It seems that the bar has been noticeably lowered in terms of food-for-thought type content. He's turned from an immensely wise space diplomat, using his powers to solve problems on a colossal scale to an amoral astro-moron quite happy to ignore/commit atrocities if some people are in danger or if the bad guys look nasty enough.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Meh he's a lobbist against same sex marriage.

Written him off
End of line.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I didn't know that Pterry was anti-equality. But he's damn right about Dr Who.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
scotty
Overbomber

Just read all the really very deep, articulate and extremely thought provoking posts on this thread that I started and is now on its 5th page, I must admit that the thread has gone further than I expected, I sense a really deep seated love/appreciation for the Dr Who franchise, not surprising really as it spans many generations, Ive always thought of it as just light entertainment and just let it wash over me really, but if I might take this thread back in the direction I thought it would go.
I'd still really like to shag that slutty ginger burd ;D ;D ;D , as you were. :von:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"