Variations on the Caslon Font

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

At the moment I use the standard Caslon Antique, which is quite a chunky font (looks like this: www.legion-music.co.uk).

Can anyone recommend any decent variations on this. Specifically I'm looking for both a more slender version of the Antique font and an non antique style one (as seen on very early Sisters records, such as here).

Download links would also be very welcome!
Nationalise the f**king lot.
NickW
Amphetamine Filth

Maisey

Aren't you dead ?

At the moment I use the standard Caslon Antique, which is quite a chunky font (looks like this: www.legion-music.co.uk).

Can anyone recommend any decent variations on this. Specifically I'm looking for both a more slender version of the Antique font and an non antique style one (as seen on very early Sisters records, such as here).

LEGION: WEBSITE - MYSPACE

Under The Rose
Just one of the pesky kids
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

What??!
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Maisey wrote:What??!
Exactly what I was thinking :?
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

IIRC the one on the Body Electric 7" is standard Caslon Antique. ???

I know it doesn't look like it on that cover photie you posted but I'm pretty sure.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
moses

Maisey wrote:At the moment I use the standard Caslon Antique, which is quite a chunky font (looks like this: www.legion-music.co.uk).

Why not be a little bit creative or even imaginative and stop tomb-raiding :innocent:
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
vicus

"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
James Blast
Banned

markfiend wrote:IIRC the one on the Body Electric 7" is standard Caslon Antique. ???

I know it doesn't look like it on that cover photie you posted but I'm pretty sure.
this is true
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

moses wrote:
Maisey wrote:At the moment I use the standard Caslon Antique, which is quite a chunky font (looks like this: www.legion-music.co.uk).

Why not be a little bit creative or even imaginative and stop tomb-raiding :innocent:
but it's crumbly goth font innit? ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
sultan2075
Overbomber

It should be replaced with drippy Slayer album-cover writing.

Or maybe the Iron Maiden font.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

That's the same as the one I'm already using.

What about the non-crumbly version?
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Right, I've got my copy of Body Electric out and I can confirm that while it is Antique, it is MUCH more even than the version of Caslon Antique that I've seen floating around the internet (and on later sisters releases for that matter).

The font on BE is mildly eroded, but the original letter shape is still fully preserved.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

moses wrote:
1. Because I like Caslon Antique.

2. Because I like not just the Sisters, but I quite enjoy a lot of the followers who also did also. Caslon Antique is a statement.

3. Because music isn't all about pushing boundaries. Sure - it's important that some bands do, but I see nothing wrong with rehashing an old idea if you can do it well. Lot's of bands I really enjoy are just a well executed collage of their influences. That's not to say bands can't be rubbish because they're derivative, I'm just saying that it doesn't necessarily follow.

weebles wrote:it's crumbly goth font innit?
James Blast
Banned

let me give you an history lesson little boy:

back in the mist of the 80s computers were rarely if ever used in graphic design, it was only in its infancy. back then you had 'real' graphic designers who would sketch out ideas with pen and paper. they would then painstakingly Letrasetâ„¢ out their headline type THE SISTERS OF MERCY it would rarely (if ever) be the correct size you needed for final artwork so you would reduce or enlarge it in a darkroom with a piece of equipment called a 'copy camera'. a number of variables come into play here: exposure time, state of chemicals and just how flat the base board was. sometimes all three of them would be off and you would end up with something totally unusable, most times you got something usuable and since you were a struggling agency or repro house, you go with it. the paper used in these cameras only saw black and white, no colour, no greys - lith. so it was easy to over expose type with a fuzzy edge or shoot it slightly out of focus and have it burn away any fidelity.

that's what's happened on Body Electric

nes pas?

tootle along now
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

That makes sense. I should have guessed that BE was long before computers were being used wholesale.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It wouldn't surprise me if the "graphic design" on a lot of the early Sisters singles was done on a photocopier TBH.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

the image of the Bacon painting would certainly confirm that
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

And no doubt this also played a part:
James Blast wrote:state of chemicals
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
NickW
Amphetamine Filth

Sorry my last post on here made no sense- due to a combination of drunkeness and ludditism (both on my part) . :oops:

the comment was in part a flippant reference to How Maisey and Myself had filled the void of Sunday afternoon. (extras in a mutual friends video) It was also trying to point out that the use of said font was a bit old hat ( a point the poster moses made far more eruditely(?)) this all seemed to make perfect sense in my drunken befuddlement

there was then meant to be a further comment that although old hat use of such font normally gave you a very good indication of said bands style and had attracted me to go see Legion in the first place ( ludditism had taken over at this point and this later comment had been typed on a non responding keyboard and a very confusing missive was on its way to the forum )
Silver_Owl
The Don

Not so funny when you have to explain it is it? :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
moses

James Blast wrote:the image of the Bacon painting would certainly confirm that
That's supposed to be a rasher of bacon?? :eek:
The eggs were obviously dropped in the making of the record :lol:
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

NickW wrote:Sorry my last post on here made no sense- due to a combination of drunkeness and ludditism (both on my part) . :oops:

the comment was in part a flippant reference to How Maisey and Myself had filled the void of Sunday afternoon. (extras in a mutual friends video) It was also trying to point out that the use of said font was a bit old hat ( a point the poster moses made far more eruditely(?)) this all seemed to make perfect sense in my drunken befuddlement

there was then meant to be a further comment that although old hat use of such font normally gave you a very good indication of said bands style and had attracted me to go see Legion in the first place ( ludditism had taken over at this point and this later comment had been typed on a non responding keyboard and a very confusing missive was on its way to the forum )
Oh it's YOU!

Jesus Nick, way to sound weird as hell.

I agree, using white on black Caslon Antique is, more often than not, an assurance that you'll be seeing guitars, drum machines and too much black. No assurance as to the quality of that package through, but it does imply a certain product.

As it happens I'm currently doing some T Shirt designs in he font "Caslon Pro" which doesn't have the crumbly edges.

Bloody hell, this is almost avant-garde.
NickW
Amphetamine Filth

Oh it's YOU!

Jesus Nick, way to sound weird as hell.

I agree, using white on black Caslon Antique is, more often than not, an assurance that you'll be seeing guitars, drum machines and too much black. No assurance as to the quality of that package through, but it does imply a certain product.

As it happens I'm currently doing some T Shirt designs in he font "Caslon Pro" which doesn't have the crumbly edges.

Bloody hell, this is almost avant-garde.

Weird as hell me, what else would you expect.
And if I see white on black Caslon Antique font i expect to hear guitars and drum machines not necessarily see them :)

And this is the first time I have ever been associated with avant garde
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I meant my use of a non crumbly version of the Caslon font was bordering on avant garde. Which is, obviously not true.

By the way, if you press the quote button at the top right hand corner of the message you want to quote it puts it in a box...
Maisey wrote:...like this
and makes it easier to read.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Done using a different version of the Caslon font...

Opinions on the shirt design welcome by the way.