Neubauten?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

forgive me but i've only ever heard a couple of tracks by them. i did like them though...

...so if i wanted to get into them, where would be a good starting point? what's their definitive album?

album suggestions that don't sound like a bag of spanners falling down stairs please... ;)

ta in advance :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

You rang? :wink:

I would regard Halber Mensch and Haus Der Luge as their high point(s)... more structured and melodic than their earlier albums (which undeniably do sound exactly like a bag of spanners falling down stairs, and this is from a massive fan)... but still retaining that nice shouty Germanic KLANG KLUNK-iness that makes them... them. Some of their later stuff, although more sedate, is a bit bland at times - though they still turn out some gems.

Other albums I'd suggest checking out are Tabula Rasa and Ende Neu. There is filler in all of them - moments when the art gets a bit too wanky, but bear with those tracks and you should uncover some choons 8)
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pista
Cureboi

Tabula Rasa is nice actually.

But Halber Mansch is the one!
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
christophe
Overbomber

just had a talk about this the other day.
I think its best to just see what tracks you like on youtube and go from there.
they have done some really different things over the years and like Claire said, there is some artwank on all of their albums.
my favorite is problably Ende Neu
and Strategies Against Architecture I is a good way to start the weekend :lol:
Another Shade of You.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Haha, all the replies so far have been from people I've badgered into listening to them :lol: :oops:
christophe
Overbomber

what can I say :oops: :D

btw.
Another Shade of You.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Yeah, but what surprises me is that you guys have actually listened to them, instead of just going "yes yes Claire, of course they're wonderful, now shut up!" :lol:
mh
Above the Chemist

boudicca wrote:Halber Mensch and Haus Der Luge
Just what I was gonna say. :notworthy:
And hasn't Haus just got the coolest cover pic ever?

2 quite different LPs though so be certain to evaluate both.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

mh wrote:And hasn't Haus just got the coolest cover pic ever?
It's... interesting :lol:

I prefer the cover of Halber Mensch, with all the teeth round the outside ;D
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

You could always come to the London gig in October for the live experience?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Ah yes, there's Paul... I did him a tape as well :lol:

I think Quiffy might be the only person on HL who I've NOT bludgeoned over the head with Neubauten :oops: . Because he's El Boss and I wouldn't dare!

Edited to add - Actually it wasn't a tape, it was a CD - showing my age there :lol:
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I bought Alles wieder offen... I can count the number of times I've played it on on two fingers.

Don't know WHAT to buy, but I can recommend this as what NOT to buy.

YMMV
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

yup choose Halber Mensch or Tabula Rasa
sam1

I really love Perpetuum Mobile-saw the live show for this album and it was the first time seeing them -I was blown away
really like Tabula Rasa as well though
On a similar note I really like Die Haut which featured some of E N, on their live shows
radiojamaica
Overbomber

I've got not much to add here: I'm also very much into their later work (Perpetum Mobile is outstanding!), but you just can't skip the Halber Mensch-Haus Der Lüge-Tabula Rasa threesome 8)

The Strategies Against Architectures vol 2 is also perfect to get into their thang...
in dub we trust
Big Si
School Bully

boudicca wrote:Haha, all the replies so far have been from people I've badgered into listening to them :lol: :oops:
I own a T-Shirt I bought at their Astoria Gig in 1997 and I still haven't heard any of their albums :oops: ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Big Si wrote: I own a T-Shirt I bought at their Astoria Gig in 1997 and I still haven't heard any of their albums :oops: ;D
It must be said: they do have one of the coolest band logos around 8) :notworthy:
in dub we trust
James Blast
Banned

Yes yes Claire, of course they're wonderful, now shut up! :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

radiojamaica wrote:It must be said: they do have one of the coolest band logos around 8) :notworthy:
I have a bag with their "wee man" logo emblazoned on it, I got laughed at for it at the last McHeartland meet. Bastards!
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

boudicca wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:It must be said: they do have one of the coolest band logos around 8) :notworthy:
I have a bag with their "wee man" logo emblazoned on it, I got laughed at for it at the last McHeartland meet. Bastards!
But are you a proper fan? (i.e. will you be going to the gig in October?) :lol: :wink:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Oh alright then. Although Blixa won't be too chuffed as it will break the conditions of my restraining order :lol:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Think their latest was splendid too :D

I did try and buy a ceedee by them earlier with mainly King and Klang (I think it involved hitting on a air plane engine - which is cool in concept but not superb to listen too) and was put off listening to EN for quite some time after. That was until I found out about most albums described above :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I thought you liked "experimental", Zed :lol:
Big Si
School Bully

Obviousman wrote:Think their latest was splendid too :D

I did try and buy a ceedee by them earlier with mainly King and Klang (I think it involved hitting on a air plane engine - which is cool in concept but not superb to listen too) and was put off listening to EN for quite some time after. That was until I found out about most albums described above :D
And to think you're off to see Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music and you've not heard the album :eek: :lol:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
sam1

boudicca wrote:
I managed to get the t-shirt with this one it..(it does incorporate the "wee man "logo though)
and boudicca,did you get the PM I sent regarding the last(and only)neubauten gig at glasgow tramway??