Mick Karn (Japan) has terminal cancer

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
JansenClone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

To quote from the Japan Pioneers message boards:

Apparently on May 31 or so it was discovered that Mick has terminal cancer and he was put into the hospital. The immediate concern is for Mick's mental health because part of the cancer has spread to his brain. The doctors are very concerned that Mick could lose mental coherence within a few days at this point. The cancer is also present in his lymph system and his lungs. Mick and the family have inquired about chemotherapy. Feedback from the physicians is that it could only treat part of the problem because the cancer has metastasized into many systems in his body. Mick has been given perhaps a few weeks to live.

There's an appeal for support on his web site:

http://www.mickkarn.net/index.htm

Not the news I wanted to be posting...
I am a Leeds United fan because I was very naughty in a previous life.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

:( Aww that's a pity. Always had a soft spot for the 'Judgement is the Mirror'.
The Chancer Corporation
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

This will be over very very soon.... :cry:
James Blast
Banned

abridged wrote::( Aww that's a pity. Always had a soft spot for the 'Judgement is the Mirror'.
you do ken there was a lot more to the man than that rubbish ellpee with Murph?
'Taking Islands in Africa' offa Gentlemen Take Polaroids is one of those once in a lifetime tunes, so I'll forever be in his debt

pish news - all of the good ones are gone or going :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Sad news ... :( ... I wish him and his family all they need to make these last weeks or months a time as good as ever possible ...
abridged
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
abridged wrote::( Aww that's a pity. Always had a soft spot for the 'Judgement is the Mirror'.
you do ken there was a lot more to the man than that rubbish ellpee with Murph?
'Taking Islands in Africa' offa Gentlemen Take Polaroids is one of those once in a lifetime tunes, so I'll forever be in his debt

pish news - all of the good ones are gone or going :|
Ah am very aware of this, but I liked the album. Also liked if I remember rightly a Non-Japan collaboration with David Sylvian. Ever liked the Midge Ure stuff. So yes sad indeed. :(
The Chancer Corporation
JansenClone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

A small update, of sorts from Robbie Aceto, part of David Sylvians's '88 touring band:

"hello friends; i'm very sorry to use this blind-copy method to reach you all andplease forgive in advance the form letter-form of this letter. It is a lot of information to have to put out...i'm sorry to tell you: my dear friend, musical compatriot, and extraordinary musician mick karn, has been stricken with cancer; the cancer is in Stage 4, having already metastasised through his brain, lungs, stomach & intestines.

mick, with his wife kyoko & young son, metis, live in cyprus; their financial resources are very, very slender..... at best. so, we have set up a fund to help him, and to assist w/his family's future.

the PayPal fund is available, here:

http://www.mickkarn.net/

feel free to post this url on your websites, and etc: whatever you think might help us help mick and the karn family. meanwhile, mick is somehow still lucid, warm & good-humored; he's remained more than a little positive, in both attitude & spirit. thanks for reading.

ps: for those of you who aren't familiar with mick's music & sculpture, i hope you'll investigate further."

Some of the other ex members of Japan have offered their support too;

In order to generate much needed medical funds for Mick, Porcupine Tree has donated a couple of their personal copies of the ultra-rare RED Anesthetize Special Edition to help raise funds/awareness:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/burningshedlimited2010/m.html

Regards,

Pete
@
www.burningshed.com

Steve Jansen is donating profits from the sale of his photos of Mick to the appeal:

http://www.stevejansen.com/

As much as I love the Sisters Japan were always my main band through those teenage years and beyond, these are not good days really...
I am a Leeds United fan because I was very naughty in a previous life.