Best Sisters guitarists

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
christophe
Overbomber

DocSommer wrote:I'd go for Adam + the Catalyst. It must have been quite hard for Ben to fill in Adams shoes but I think he's developing very well during the last years. Besides that he's a top dude and both, ben and chris, seems to re-energize the "project sisters" and :von: a bit.
what he said.
Another Shade of You.
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

my favourite line up was Starling and Pearson, although Ben and Chris sound good on the boots Just need to see them Live though.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

In the interest of fairness/accuracy I'm going to stick with those I've actually seen live i.e. since Wembley '90.
On those grounds it has to be Bricheno & Bruhn.
Reading '91 is the absolute best Sisters' gig I've been to.
It's probably little or no coincidence that it was also the last to involve a human bass player.
since then, I really liked the Pearson & Starling sound and I've a lot of time for what Chris Catalyst currently brings to band in terms of stage presence.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Being645
Wiki Wizard

DocSommer wrote:I'd go for Adam + the Catalyst. It must have been quite hard for Ben to fill in Adams shoes but I think he's developing very well during the last years. Besides that he's a top dude and both, ben and chris, seems to re-energize the "project sisters" and :von: a bit.
Absolutely seconded ... Adam is also my favourite Sisters guitarist, directly followed by Chris Catalyst ...
I think, last year has clearly shown what Ben and Chris can do on stage ... and they're gettimg ever better ... ;D ;D ;D ...

However, without Gary Marx The Sisters had never become The Sisters ... ;D 8) ;D ...

and Vision Thing without Bruhn and Bricheno ... hard to imagine ... :wink: ...
christophe
Overbomber

yeah, that might be true.
but imagine what Ben and Chris might do if geven the chance.

I suppose we don't really have a clue as gor the hierarchy in the TSOM basecamp. but we all have seen that 2 two new guys have made a new wind blow.
Another Shade of You.
pikkrong
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
However, without Gary Marx The Sisters had never become The Sisters ... ;D 8) ;D ...
funny thing is that this was exactly my thought I was going to post :)
it wasn't only Eldritch who made the band sound so special.
:notworthy:

and no bad words about the current line-up or the previous ones...
do i drive
or am i driven
lachert
Overbomber

the sisters never had good guitarist but the best one was That Guitarist :innocent: now you can kill me :twisted:
long live rock'n'roll
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

lachert wrote:the sisters never had good guitarist but the best one was That Guitarist :innocent: now you can kill me :twisted:
I could agree if it wasn't him who was deeply involved in killing the original line up, so I'd stick with my choice above :innocent:

However, I still love The m*****n, too. I have been to Shepherds Bush Empire in 2008 (season ticket) and the concerts were f***ing great
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
lachert
Overbomber

Victim of Circumstance wrote: I could agree if it wasn't him who was deeply involved in killing the original line up, so I'd stick with my choice above :innocent:
i mean guitarist not a person. as person gary rules without doubt ;D 2010 and nowhere :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

lachert wrote:2010 and nowhere :lol:
:notworthy: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
panzerfaust
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

live: marx/hussey
studio: marx/gunn
for me.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

I like that bloke who wore them glasses. You know - him with the hair?
Four strings good, six strings bad
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:and Vision Thing without Bruhn and Bricheno ... hard to imagine ... :wink: ...
Hmmm - did Bricheno do any recordings for Vision Thing? I think he joined after those 3632 months in Denmark...
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
pikkrong
Overbomber

no doubt that Gary Marx is a top person but I meant him as a guitarist... when I think back how all this started for me... listening to Heartland and other early Sisters songs... it wouldn't be the same without his guitar sound :)
do i drive
or am i driven
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

pikkrong wrote:no doubt that Gary Marx is a top person but I meant him as a guitarist... when I think back how all this started for me... listening to Heartland and other early Sisters songs... it wouldn't be the same without his guitar sound :)
Indeed
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Pat O'Brien? :innocent:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
Being645
Wiki Wizard

vicus wrote:
Being645 wrote:and Vision Thing without Bruhn and Bricheno ... hard to imagine ... :wink: ...
Hmmm - did Bricheno do any recordings for Vision Thing? I think he joined after those 3632 months in Denmark...
You're right, and even Bruhn didn't do as much as one might think ... :wink: ...

only part of the music of Detonation Boulevard, When You Don't See Me and Dr. Jeep, as far as I gather ...
Last edited by Being645 on 08 Jun 2010, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
czuczu
Overbomber

If you go by who played/wrote what in the studio then that doesn't leave very many choices for best axemen...

I vote Eddie Martinez ;D
mh
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:
pikkrong wrote:no doubt that Gary Marx is a top person but I meant him as a guitarist... when I think back how all this started for me... listening to Heartland and other early Sisters songs... it wouldn't be the same without his guitar sound :)
Indeed
Presumably however a good proportion of the studio guitar was actually done by Eldritch. We already know that Reptile House and ToL were Eldritch playing, and it's safe to assume that a hefty enough percentage of other tracks also featured him somewhere.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

surprised people are crediting von with doing that much guitar on VT. its not something i'd ever considered (and still don't).

why do we think bruhn "didn't do as much as one might think"? i'd always thought most of the VT guitar sound/playing was down to him :?:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Whoever played the guitars on Vision Thing ... it's been done extremly well ... ;D :notworthy: ...

@Quiff
I was referring more to who had written the music ... :wink: ...
Well, I guess even this might be debatable ... :?:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I wrote the music!
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Congrats, I love Dr. Jeep and More and Something Fast and Vision Thing and (of course) Ribbons ... ;D ;D ;D

Not so much in for Detonation Boulevard and When You Don't See Me ... but still ...

Oh, and not to forget YCBTO ... :lol: ... ;D ;D ;D ...

However, all of these songs were not even half as interesting without
the lyrics and the singing (background voices - especially on Dr. Jeep - included) ... ;D :notworthy: ;D

*guess that's been my dose of nostalgic euphoria for t'day ...
streamline
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote: Presumably however a good proportion of the studio guitar was actually done by Eldritch. We already know that Reptile House and ToL were Eldritch playing, and it's safe to assume that a hefty enough percentage of other tracks also featured him somewhere.
I didn't know that! So Eldo played guitar on Heartland (my personal fave for guitar playing)??

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
mh
Above the Chemist

streamline wrote:
mh wrote: Presumably however a good proportion of the studio guitar was actually done by Eldritch. We already know that Reptile House and ToL were Eldritch playing, and it's safe to assume that a hefty enough percentage of other tracks also featured him somewhere.
I didn't know that! So Eldo played guitar on Heartland (my personal fave for guitar playing)??
Dunno about Heartland, I meant the song ToL itself ( :von: confirmed in an interview that the intro is him) rather than all the tracks on the single.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.