The m*****n or Fields of the Nephilim

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Crazee2000
Road Kill

Would you lads & girls like The m*****n or Fields of the Nephilim

http://indiediscs.com/m*****n.html
http://indiediscs.com/fields.html

:lol:
Crazee2000
Road Kill

Looks like that word is a curse, That Guitarist's band that is. So I guess the band is not liked around here??
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It's a little joke from the Boss. ;D

There are folks who like them around here.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Crazee2000
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:It's a little joke from the Boss. ;D

There are folks who like them around here.
Would the boss be Andrew :?: 8)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: no.

Follow the link...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

Fields of the Nephilim, as a complete package I like them better. The thing with The m*****n is....I just don't like That Guitarist as a vocalist or a lyricist...as a guitarist on the other hand, I think he's brilliant, and musically a lot of m*****n stuff is great, not to mention the stuff he wrote on First and Last and Always.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Original Line Up Neph not Carl and the Gang (although it ain't so bad).
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

After FALAA Hussey released a good album, and so did Eldritch. The difference being the m*****n have continued banging out ok-ish tunes, whilst Eldritch did one ok-ish album and then ran away and hid because the Americans weren't interested. Hussey's a great guitarist, and his tunes are easy to listen to. Plus he always strikes me as a nice guy. Undemanding rock music.

Fields on the other hand poop on both The Sisters and m*****n from a truly great height with "Elyzium". But I stare dumbfounded at those claiming "Mourning Sun" is any good. All the songs last too long, and the production is awful, yet the fans are in raptures. :|
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
sultan2075
Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:But I stare dumbfounded at those claiming "Mourning Sun" is any good. All the songs last too long, and the production is awful, yet the fans are in raptures. :|
Oh yeah, absolutely right. But I think The Nephilim is better than Elizium. It's better than most records by most bands, in fact. Mourning Sun bored me to tears, and the production just sounds cheap, plastic, and flat. It was a disappointing record.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
mh
Above the Chemist

First 2 Neph LPs are great, Elyzium has some decent-ish moments, but after that they're just a joke aren't they?

The Mission likewise have some decent moments, it's the hours I have trouble with. Wayne's not too bad when banging out a good melodic rock tune, but he most definitely should not try so hard to be a "serious artist". As for when he gets "romantic"... brrr.... :urff:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

I adore Zoon
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
hetfieldsmullet
Road Kill

DeWinter wrote:After FALAA Hussey released a good album, and so did Eldritch. The difference being the m*****n have continued banging out ok-ish tunes, whilst Eldritch did one ok-ish album and then ran away and hid because the Americans weren't interested. Hussey's a great guitarist, and his tunes are easy to listen to. Plus he always strikes me as a nice guy. Undemanding rock music.

Fields on the other hand poop on both The Sisters and m*****n from a truly great height with "Elyzium". But I stare dumbfounded at those claiming "Mourning Sun" is any good. All the songs last too long, and the production is awful, yet the fans are in raptures. :|
Just...just...wow! Really?
James Blast
Banned

I also rilly dig Fallen
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
DeWinter

mh wrote: The Mission likewise have some decent moments, it's the hours I have trouble with. Wayne's not too bad when banging out a good melodic rock tune, but he most definitely should not try so hard to be a "serious artist". As for when he gets "romantic"... brrr.... :urff:
Heh, you're thinking about "Butterfly on a wheel", aren't you?:lol:

I can think of about five Mish tunes that are well worth listening to on repeat occasions, but that's not exactly a great compliment to a band who've been going for near thirty years!
sultan7025 wrote:Mourning Sun bored me to tears, and the production just sounds cheap, plastic, and flat. It was a disappointing record.
There were moments, I don't deny on the album. "She" would have been impressive had it been halved. And "Mourning Sun" would have been a awesome instrumental piece, but "Xiberia" had me reaching for the "next" button after a few seconds, and "2525" is three minutes of music then another five of pointless effects twiddling..album truly missed the Wrights big time. I stick firmly to my guns and say I liked the "From the fire" album better, even if it was stitched together by a record company desperate for Carl to get off his shamanical bottom.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

The Nephilim were entertaining until they started to take themselves seriously. Dawnrazor and the Nephilim were good albums if silly lyrically. Elyzium was just silly pomp rock. The m*****n had a couple of decent enough albums and a few good singles. Neither come anywhere near the Sisters.
The Chancer Corporation
psichonaut
Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:After FALAA Hussey released a good album, and so did Eldritch. The difference being the m*****n have continued banging out ok-ish tunes, whilst Eldritch did one ok-ish album and then ran away and hid because the Americans weren't interested. Hussey's a great guitarist, and his tunes are easy to listen to. Plus he always strikes me as a nice guy. Undemanding rock music.

i agree about The Mishoon...not reallywith what you think about Murning sun... it's only a matter of taste, but so i prefere the early stuff(aside Laura LP)
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Crazee2000 wrote:Would you lads & girls like The m*****n or Fields of the Nephilim

http://indiediscs.com/m*****n.html
http://indiediscs.com/fields.html

:lol:
OK, I take your laughter for politeness ... :wink: ...
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!
Four strings good, six strings bad
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The Nephs blew me away the one time I saw them (on the Elysium tour?) 1990 Leeds Uni. I quite like Mourning Sun, but then I like 12-minute songs. (I do agree that we could have done without the 2525 cover though.) The Nephilim is still a classic album, I listen to it fairly often. (But I always skip over Shiva -- which wasn't on the ellpee version).

The Mishun were quite a laugh in the early days. I kind of lost interest around the time of Carved In Sand really, when the Hussbag started to go all folky (and mooning round Julianne Regan probably didn't help on that score). Still, I saw them a couple of times in the late 80s. And they completely jumped the shark with that "Metal Gurus" nonsense. :lol:

The Sisters... are the Sisters. First, and last, and always. What else can I say?
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Fields Of The Nephilim were always the better of the two.
I remember the first time I saw them at the Clarendon Ballroom & McCoy nearly having my eye out with his Freddy Kruger glove thing.

The Mish were fun live at first. Loved the Crusade tour & knew a few of the Eskimos but Carved in Sand was a bit wishy washy & I sort of lost interest then.
I do have fond memories of Hussey falling off the stage at Reading after imbibing a tad too much Blue Nun. :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
culprit

The Fields live in the late eighties were a joy... the only band that could match the girls.
as Mark says... 'The Nephilim' is always on my playlist ... a classic.

The Mish... I still have every vinyl 12" and all... but quickly lost interest.
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the first couple of tunes on the mish's 'children' are ok (mainly because i'm a led zep fan), and even i can't deny the barn-storming nature of 'deliverance' and 'into the blue', but the rest of their back catalogue isn't strong enough musically to off-set the damage done by wayne's awful lyrics... (yeah, i'm looking at you 'god's own medicine') :urff:

as for the neph, stuff pre-dawnrazor was cringeworthy at best. whining vocals & god-awful saxophones (the tower? darkcell? wtf where you thinking!?!) :urff:

'dawnrazor' was ok in places ('dust', for example), though there where too many nods to the sisters musically, but they didn't hit their stride until 'the nephilim' which has to be their zenith.

'elizium' is not bad, with some really nice melodies and some gorgeous production (carl's voice never sounded better - smooth, effortless, and never over the top), but their descent into song-cycles gets a bit annoying after this.

everything after the neph's initial split borders on badly-recorded thrash metal, bereft of ideas or real musical genius. 'mourning sun' is 2 half-decent songs strung together and padded out by lots of cliched chains, clanking, groaning and wind sounds... which worked in 1988 but by the time of 'mourning sun' sounds tired & hackneyed

having said all that, i think that overall the best neph songs (endomoniada, last exit, sumerland) are better than the best mish songs, which is suppose means i prefer the neph, but it's like saying you prefer not bad, i guess over just below average.

meh.

i'm off to listen to 'the nephilim' now :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
DeWinter

All that's said about The Mish being a bit lightweight and the Nephilim overblown are true, but lets not pretend The Sisters didn't become a bit of a joke too, and have been for many years now! "Vision Thing" was an album of ok-ish stadium rock, but it was the death of them as a band who were in any way original or different. And let's not discuss their output since. Let's face it, there's a reason we obsess over B-Sides and rarities: it's so we don't have to listen to "War on Drugs" and "Still"! :P
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I think there's still a bit of 'mystery' or more acurately legend around the Sisters or :von: in particular which keeps them interesting added to that probably Godot hope they'll somehow reach the heights again. Added to this they had some damn fine songs and the occassional great gig. The Nephilim were always enteraining live, have had lots of good nights out at their gigs but despite the posturing it was all kind of silly, especially as the mystic stuff came to the fore. The m*****n had no mystery at all and were just entertaining, at the begining at any rate. Each to their own and all that though! :D
The Chancer Corporation
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

mishun shucks and lyrics are so horrid and uber sweet that it makes me wanna puke.
FONT much much better but still it's not what i want to listen everyday. Glitter and Doom.