The m*****n or Fields of the Nephilim

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Loved the Mish stuff up to - and including - Carved In Sand/Grains Of Sand. The came Masque... :eek: Then came Neverland :D Then came Blue :? Then came the Resurrection stuff :? Then Aura :) Then that Lighting The Candles/GIAB tripe :eek: Then The End :( Then that new CD that'll be the same as GIAB :eek:

Overall? 7/10 for effort.

Loved the Nephilim stuff up to - and including - Mourning Sun.

Overall? 666/10 for effort.
Four strings good, six strings bad
christophe
Overbomber

:lol:
I like the Mish, its the sort of band that can't do anything wrong, and at the same time it is/was a bad that never really did it for me.
I don't know how to put it, but I never really think he is putting his soul into it or wants to make a point one way or another, and that is very important for me.
the Fields on the other hand is the other way around, I believe everything they say, but I don't like all of their tunes, and a lot of the times they are to heavy to listen to.
Another Shade of You.
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hmm

The Mish: I used to occasionally go through a phase of listening to their very early stuff when I had listened to FALAA a bit too much and wanted something else that sounded kind of the same but different. It never lasted long because of the truly awful lyrics. I only ever had it on cassette, and since my last cassette player broke about 10 years ago, I haven't really missed them.

The Nephilim: Started out trying to rip off the Sisters and made a rather poor job of it, then started trying to diversify into something more original and made an even worse job of it. At least I never had to worry about being embarrassed by the lyrics as I could never make them out.

Of the two, I suppose I prefer the Nephilim as there is still one song (Dust) that I have on my iPod and listen to occasionally.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Andrew S played me God Is A Bullet a couple of months ago - I think Hussey is underrated as a comic genius!

(sorry Andrew for telling them you own a copy of GIAB! :innocent: )
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
boudicca
Sister Midnight

ooh, and "Let me come inside your ivory tower"... what a charming couplet. Who could refuse? :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

boudicca wrote:ooh, and "Let me come inside your ivory tower"... what a charming couplet. Who could refuse? :lol:
:lol: good one
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

It's almost as though he got his best lines from Sid the Sexist! :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:ooh, and "Let me come inside your ivory tower"... what a charming couplet. Who could refuse? :lol:
The bloke who wrote f**k Me And Marry Me Young - a match made in heaven. For a year or-so, anyway.
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

DeWinter wrote:
mh wrote: The Mission likewise have some decent moments, it's the hours I have trouble with. Wayne's not too bad when banging out a good melodic rock tune, but he most definitely should not try so hard to be a "serious artist". As for when he gets "romantic"... brrr.... :urff:
Heh, you're thinking about "Butterfly on a wheel", aren't you?:lol:
Yup!
paul
Overbomber

I like the m*****n a lot, saw them many times. Neph are really okay though, although I also don't like these long tracks.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Never liked The Mish, tried my best but it was all too cheesy, quasi-hippy. Always quite liked the Neph. Like the music and Carl's voice, even though I don't know what the f**k their on about.

BTW I love 2525, one of my favourite Neph songs.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

you heard the original? sager & evans. brrrrrr....

it has to be one of the dreariest songs of all time, regardless of who's singing it :urff:

me no likey ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
hetfieldsmullet
Road Kill

I used to like The M ission, I suppose up until Masque, but after a few years of listening to other stuff I've found that it hasn't aged well at all. And Wayne's lyrics are worse than a lovelorn sixth former's.
I still think that musically they're ok, stuff like Blood Brothers, Wasteland (copyright Mr McCulloch), Tower Of Strength, Deliverance etc... are all good to stamp your foot to, just try not to listen too much to Wayne.

As for The Nephs, well I like Dawnrazor and The Nephilim and then it all went a bit errr, I don't know. I just went a bit... odd. Not my thing. I do still listen to the Power EP and Blue Water a lot. They make me want to the nasty with the old lady. Good music should make your groin move. 8)
James Blast
Banned

McCoy, well he went progressive and I for one have no problem with that, in my spare time I do enjoy a guid mosh/heidbang so Zoon etc. holds nothing but joy

I liked 'Serpent's Kiss' at the time but that piece of chewing gum has lost its flava purdy damn quickly, the boy can play geetar mind :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
radiojamaica
Overbomber

oh, I've always loved the Fields! The Nephilim is a classic and tells the whole story really... They had a good thing going and all, but it didn't last and after the 91 break-up it never came good. I do like Morning Sun although the production is rubbish and little ole Carl still doesn't seem to be nudgenudgewinkwink kinda guy, but hey he started his trade in reggae bands so I like him anywayz. Too bad I've never seen the Neph in their heyday... Nowadays they're nice to see and listen to some of yer favourites, but the magic's gone.

The Missie on the other hand is a weird thing. Back in the day I couldn't stop laughing when they were on (those lyrics! Those dresses! Those clips! That complete over-the-topness!), but in the meanwhile I quite liked their music (Mick Brown & Simon Hinkler can join my band anytime) and I have most of their records... But no, I just couldn't take 'm seriously. The Sisters were the real thing and de Missie were the fun guys to have loads of drinks with you know. Then came the farewell tour and bwoy did they do the trick. Even Hussey as a singer made sense (now that was a wake up call!)... Yup, love them too :lol:
in dub we trust
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I seen the Nephilim quite a few times in their heyday (that was Dawnrazor + The Nephilim for me) - I even interviewed McCoy for a fanzine. Oh dear I had such an enormous crush on him, and I couldn't sleep or eat or do anything sensible 2 weeks before, and after meeting him :oops: ;D
With Elizium, I lost a bit interest, but I'm not saying they're bad. Guess the apocalyptic spaghetti Western thing just seemed more appealing to me.

m*****n, I don't know why, I just never could be bothered.

@ Radiojamaica - McCoy started in a reggae band?! Seriously? :eek:
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The worst live show I ever saw was The m*****n-it was so bad that when the band returned to the stage for the encore-half the audience was already on the way out. The music started up-people glanced back and saw the band had returned and then just kept going out the door. It was better than Spinal Tap :lol:
Silver_Owl
The Don

The Metal Gurus were better.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

agreed :lol:

the songs were certainly much better.

but then i like slade.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Quiff Boy wrote:agreed :lol:

the songs were certainly much better.

but then i like slade.
:lol: Me too. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
mh
Above the Chemist

Sita wrote:Guess the apocalyptic spaghetti Western thing just seemed more appealing to me.
I reckon that's about right. At least it was something wildly original, unlike the generic mystical/occult guff they started peddling soon after.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote:
Sita wrote:Guess the apocalyptic spaghetti Western thing just seemed more appealing to me.
I reckon that's about right. At least it was something wildly original, unlike the generic mystical/occult guff they started peddling soon after.
The Mystical Bollocks? Indeed, pure pish.

;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:
mh wrote:
The Mystical Bollocks? Indeed, pure pish.

;D
YOU look Carl McCoy in the eye and tell him that :eek:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

you'd have to bend down, risking back strain ;)
GC
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:you'd have to bend down, risking back strain ;)
Which 'eye' were you planning to look at... :eek: