Bands that were close but no cigar

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
GC
Slight Overbomber

You have certain bands that move you. You obsess about them, they are the zeitgeist for that moment in your life. Maybe not anymore but in that week, month ,year, decade they were everything. Examples for me would be The Sisters, Manic Street Preachers, Nick Cave, Beastie Boys, Guns n Roses, New Model Army, Macc lads, Sex Pistols etc....

Some bands however get close but never quite touch that special chord. This thread is about the groups you like, listen to regularly but you still don't taste them in your cornflakes..

Fields of the Nephilim
Gaye Bykers on Acid
Placebo
Def Leppard
Depeche Mode
Inspiral Carpets
Rammstein
Leonard Cohen
Pet Shop Boys
The Clash
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Placebo
Iron Maiden
Clannad
Roxy Music
Scissor Sisters
Eurythmics
Mazzy Starr
Inkubus Sukkubus
Led Zeppelin
Ozzy Osbourne
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Gollum's Cock wrote:You have certain bands that move you. You obsess about them, they are the zeitgeist for that moment in your life. Maybe not anymore but in that week, month ,year, decade they were everything.
If a band doesn't, or didn't, do that for me I don't listen to them.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

bands that affect on my short life (musical taste and not only):
Nacht und Nebel (PL)
[Edit]The[/Edit] Sisters of Mercy
Lech Janerka (PL)
Savage Republic
Last edited by Bartek on 21 Jun 2010, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
GC
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Gollum's Cock wrote:You have certain bands that move you. You obsess about them, they are the zeitgeist for that moment in your life. Maybe not anymore but in that week, month ,year, decade they were everything.
If a band doesn't, or didn't, do that for me I don't listen to them.
I was trying to get at what makes you obsess about a band or just makes you like them. An example for me would be GnR, for a few months after I heard Appeteite for Destruction I would be running home to play it, reading the sleeve, looking at pictures. In the same period I also liked listening to Dave Lee Roth, ('liked" being the important word).
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

OK, I think I got you. Yeah, like that Mish / Neph thread that is going on, I liked the Neph, I liked the Mish, but neither of them are The Sisters.

That sort of thing?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
GC
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:OK, I think I got you. Yeah, like that Mish / Neph thread that is going on, I liked the Neph, I liked the Mish, but neither of them are The Sisters.

That sort of thing?
Exactamundo... :D
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Garbage
U2
Simple Minds
Four strings good, six strings bad
christophe
Overbomber

Pink Floyd
Genesis
Porcurpine Tree
Rolling Stones
Another Shade of You.
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I think a similar kind of experience is bands or artists that you think sound great when you can't hear the music properly, eg when they get played on the jukebox in a pub, or at a party, or even in a film or TV programme.

They make you take notice and think 'ooh, that sounds good, I wonder what it is' or 'ooh, I didn't realise how good that song was'

But when you actually sit down and concentrate on listening to them properly you realise there's actually not that much to it, and are continually slightly disappointed, but keep feeling that you ought to like them but just don't quite.

So for me, bands that fall into the category described by the original poster (like but don't love) are:

Dead Kennedys
The Clash
Massive Attack
Nick Drake
The Rolling Stones
Nirvana
Black Sabbath
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Nick Cave's recent works (anything after "Let Love In;" his earlier material is in the category of stuff I definitely love.)

Edit: I suppose since I brought it up, I should give examples of some bands that fall into the second category (don't like as much as I thought I would):

David Bowie
Led Zeppelin
Most reggae and ska
Soundgarden
Seasick Steve
John Lee Hooker and numerous other blues artists
Rob Zombie
boudicca
Sister Midnight

All About Eve and Echo and the Bunnymen spring to mind... I have listened to them pretty often over many years and really appreciate what they do, but I've never been addicted to their stuff in the way I have with a lot of other bands. And they certainly never transformed anything for me in the way that, say, the Banshees did.

I think it's probably because, although they write nicely-crafted songs and make a pleasant sound... well, the clue's in the words really - nice, pleasant :| Don't get me wrong, I do really like them... oh there I go again - like...
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Ainoaoikea
Road Kill

Before my 25th birthday (or so) pretty much everything I liked to listen fell into this category (including dodgy 3rd rate goth bands). After that pretty much all music I like to listen is just music I like to listen (even the Sisters are an on and off affair). Funnily, I consider my 25th birthday the day after which I could understand things (or rather, my lack of understanding)
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

and of course Black Sabbath for this
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Jeremiah wrote:Nick Cave's recent works (anything after "Let Love In;" his earlier material is in the category of stuff I definitely love.)
Yeah.
—Bertrand Russell
GC
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:Nick Cave's recent works (anything after "Let Love In;" his earlier material is in the category of stuff I definitely love.)
Yeah.
Also agree, with the exception of "No more shall we part"
Sita

Gollum's Cock wrote:This thread is about the groups you like, listen to regularly but you still don't taste them in your cornflakes..
Some of yours are on both of my lists too.

These are some of my favorite artists/bands whose albums I buy, go to their concerts, etc, but still I do not really obsess about them:
Bat For Lashes
Einstürzende Neubauten
Kylie Minogue
Slayer
Siouxsie and The Banshees - I don't know why, she so deserves to be idolized! But still...
Yello
moses

Some bands that didn't cut my mustard are :

Metallica etc.....
U2
Genesis (even with Gabriel)
Nick Cave
Radiohead
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Salvation
Skeletal Family
The Mi$$ion
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Red Lorry, Ghost Dance et al
Chameleons (great but could've been even better)
Bauhaus
New Model Army
Neubauten
Undertones after the first lp (slight heresy in my part of the world. They were great, but something, not sure exactly what was missing)
The Chancer Corporation
James Blast
Banned

I still don't understand the initial question, is The Soft Machine the answer?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele