The m*****n or Fields of the Nephilim

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the left...?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Sita wrote: @ Radiojamaica - McCoy started in a reggae band?! Seriously? :eek:
As did Tony Pettit, hence the rather original bass riffs on "Psychonaut", etc. ("Visionary Heads". Watch the performances of "Psychonaut" & "Sumerland" and tell me Mish or Sissies ever came close to that good live or otherwise. And I shall beard you mercilessly..)
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
radiojamaica
Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:
Sita wrote: @ Radiojamaica - McCoy started in a reggae band?! Seriously? :eek:
As did Tony Pettit, hence the rather original bass riffs on "Psychonaut", etc.
:notworthy: 8) :notworthy:
in dub we trust
Sita

DeWinter wrote:Watch the performances of "Psychonaut" & "Sumerland" and tell me Mish or Sissies ever came close to that good live or otherwise. And I shall beard you mercilessly..)
What the -?! Beard someone mercilessly? :lol: What is that, a Chinese torture? I need to know! So: hey DeWinter, Mish and Sissies came close to that good live or otherwise!!! ;D

No but seriously...
Nephilim always used to be awesome live. (Just using past tense cause I haven't seen them in ages).
Thanks for reminding me - just watched those performances on Youtube. Great stuff.

I won't say The Sisters ever were better live, cause I know they aren't and weren't, but I like them more, nonetheless. It's all about the artistic vision, you know... concept art and stuff... the actual performance needn't be so brilliant ;D

m*****n, nah, never watched, so I couldn't even tell.
Garbageman

m*****n for me every time over the Neph.
Loved Preacherman though as it brings back fond memories of myself being attacked by the Nephs version of the Eskimos.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the bonanzas or the watchmen?

i seem to recall the bonanzas were a bit more mental and a bit more feisty :lol:
James Blast
Banned

ask scotty he was a follower
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Garbageman

This was a little git who chinned me first which followed several of his mates joining in.......there is a nice twist to this as we had taken four carloads to the gig and all of a sudden things got a little messy!!!
I think they thought I was on my own.
Very brave!!!
originalgoth

I never got to see The Sisters until 2006 so sadly I never saw the original line up. I've only seen them 3 times on the SBTSB tour (Leeds, Manchester & Nottingham) but would have loved to have seen them even once as the original line up.

I first saw The Mish in '86 when I got invited to their fan club day (Magical Mystical Tour) at Rock City and that's what got me into the Goth scene.
Since that first time I've seen them in the original line up & the new line ups about 6 or 7 times over the years (the last time was the Lighting the Candles Tour).

I've always enjoyed Mish gigs, Wayne is friendly & talkative to the audience.

I first saw The Neph on the Nephilim tour & did 9 dates of that tour - all great gigs and fond memories and then saw them a further 3 or 4 times on other tours.

With regard rating the bands, that's a hard one because they're all excellent in their own way.
The Neph certainly put on a great live show, I love their music and image & I would say that they had more influence on my dress sense in those days, even down to the flour & baking soda.

The mish were still touring & writing new material as others have said on here so that is a plus in their favour.

The Sisters, from what I've seen on DVDs of concerts from all carnations have always put on a great show & Von has so much precence on stage that maybe Mr huss doesn't but Mr Huss has his own precence in his own way.

That's why I can't put them as 1, 2, 3.

fave albums by each would be The Nephilim
The Mish would probably be Children or Gods Own
The Sisters would definitely be FALAA with Floodland second.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
Memphis Rich
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Fields of the Nephilim second only to the Sisters
Words are just turds
In sewers of sound
James Blast
Banned

is this a "my dad's bigger than your dad" thaaang?

if so The Who and The Clash kick every band's butt! ;D

that is written in stone - FACT!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Garbageman

The Who certainly, The Clash.........
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Memphis Rich wrote:Fields of the Nephilim second only to the Sisters
nail/head interface ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
moses

James Blast wrote:is this a "my dad's bigger than your dad" thaaang?

if so The Who and The Clash kick every band's butt! ;D

that is written in stone - FACT!

Show me the stone.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I have never actually listened to the Neph, but I have heard bits and pieces by the Mish, so on that basis I would put the Neph first and the Mish second.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

The m*****n – one of only a couple of bands I’ve ever heckled. It was a long, long time ago and I’m not proud of it. I’m not sure I even had the decency to heckle anything wittier or more original than “You’re s**t!� or some similar Wildeism. In my defence, I was merely stating facts, although that didn’t make me feel any less guilty when I met That Guitarist several years after pathetically paying to go and shout at his band and found him to be one of the loveliest people you could hope to meet :oops:

I loved the first two Neph albums but seriously went off them with Elizium (dull, dull, dull … or so I thought at the time) but as I recently got a ticket to see them in October I’ve been brushing up on the stuff I’m not so familiar with. I hadn’t even heard Mourning Sun until a couple of weeks ago and, from what I’d heard about it, I wasn’t expecting to think much of it but I actually love it. Wonderful atmosphere on there. I’ve definitely developed more, um, proggy tendencies over the last few years so when I gave Elizium another try I listened to it with a very different attitude to that of my 19 year old self. Always nice when you listen to a record you previously hated after a good few years and find your opinion of it has changed (cf. DM’s Songs of Faith and Devotion). I now think it’s a great album. There’s more than a touch of Pink Floyd there (a band whose name I would have spat on 20 years ago but who I’ve since come to love) and I think it’s probably the most well-realised of the three original Neph albums. Maybe I should even track down Rubicon’s albums and give them another go (although, prog convert or not, I still remember them boring the arse off me like an arse has never been bored before when I saw them live in 1992… Too bored to even heckle at that one!)
James Blast
Banned

no, seriously don't bother with Rubicon, Last Rites on the other hand...
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

The Rubicon record is really great until the generic 90's rock vocals kick in. Or so I thought when I last listened to it, which had to be at least 15 years ago. Probably more.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

sultan2075 wrote:The Rubicon record is really great until the generic 90's rock vocals kick in. Or so I thought when I last listened to it, which had to be at least 15 years ago. Probably more.
thats about the last time i listened to it too, and i had the exact same feelings about the vox :lol:
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:The Rubicon record is really great until the generic 90's rock vocals kick in. Or so I thought when I last listened to it, which had to be at least 15 years ago. Probably more.
thats about the last time i listened to it too, and i had the exact same feelings about the vox :lol:
Indeed, same here :lol:
in dub we trust
Memphis Rich
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

To return to the original question, Neph. every time.
Words are just turds
In sewers of sound
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Well down here where the sun shines a lot,the nephs didn t stand the test of time. Zoon was such a dissappointment, mourning sun was great and i realy adore "she" but there s something missing lately. Last winter i sold all the boots on ebay as i felt there was no point in keeping them. Kept the vinyl, lps /7"/12" but just the regular stuff.

The mish on the other hand are still going as strong as they did since eerr 1988? that goes for the first 3 albums and their live stuff from that era. Especially those gigs from that ill fated 1987 us tour are absolutely fantastic.
Still collecting, still enjoying, still discovering.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Gotta be the Nephs for me. There's just more going on, even if a lot of it is mystical bollocks.

And, in all fairness, there's nowt wrong with that. Reality is all too prosaic at times.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G