Hold on, I can't boot Photoshop yet cos there's an advert

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

The delightful news that Apple are planning to force adverts into its operating system (the ads would disable some OS functionality until the ad was viewed) is very good.

Very good for non-Apple users, that is, since Appleâ„¢ has patented this f**king stupid ideaâ„¢, which means that other OS manufacturers are unlikely to follow suit because they'd have to pay Apple a huge fee first.

thank goodness for linux ;D
christophe
Overbomber

:P I ken some folks who are gonna be pissed :P
Another Shade of You.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

christophe wrote::P I ken some folks who are gonna be pissed :P
They should(n't) have bought a Mac :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

I heard about this a few months back and was sure they wouldn't do it, should they... well what fuckin' option do I have?
I use Windows at work and it's soul destroying, Linux may as well be Swahili. They'll recant like they did with the iPhone 4 antenna arse up.

Options R:
stick with OS X 10.6.4 which is fuckin' A!
get cracks from ::Mac BB::
watch as Rome burns
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

To be honest, I think even Steve Jobs would realise that it would be commercial suicide to force this on desktops/laptops. I suspect that it will be rolled out to smaller portable devices such as ipads/iphones.
James Blast
Banned

I sure hope so Paul

concerned of Glasgow :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

that would image of brand for independent/ outside/against pop/mass culture peeps. i think that they're just testing reactions of users ( in The Net).
James Blast
Banned

Bartek wrote:that would image of brand for independent/ outside/against pop/mass culture peeps. i think that they're just testing reactions of users ( in The Net).
lemme guess, we're supposed to rearrange those words into something coherent? :lol:
~ Peter Steele
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

nae, i just forgot about one word :oops:

that would destroy image of brand for independent/ outside/against pop/mass culture peeps. i think that they're just testing reactions of users ( in The Net).
James Blast
Banned

I don't think they're outsiders/wide eyed big bottomed anarchists any more
~ Peter Steele
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

not they but the image of their products, brand, as i read it, "we are against big companies" ( read: Windows). but of course after oiPhone oiPad it's gone.
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Bartek wrote:nae, i just forgot about one word :oops:

that would destroy image of brand for independent/ outside/against pop/mass culture peeps. i think that they're just testing reactions of users ( in The Net).
Don't get me wrong, I used to love Macs, cause I worked with them for years and I loved them. But THAT image went down the drain a decade ago ago. It's mass culture in its best form.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:not they but the image of their products, brand, as i read it, "we are against big companies" ( read: Windows). but of course after oiPhone oiPad it's gone.
Yeah! Curse them for being successful! They should build computers with Fugazi and trade their OS for vegetable scraps!
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:
Bartek wrote:not they but the image of their products, brand, as i read it, "we are against big companies" ( read: Windows). but of course after oiPhone oiPad it's gone.
Yeah! Curse them for being successful! They should build computers with Fugazi and trade their OS for vegetable scraps!
Well, precisely. I might be inclined to buy an Apple product if the OS had the great smell of gently ripening compost.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Only if its adverts with that delightful little meerkat
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

sultan2075 wrote:
who says that i'm against commercial successful ?! i love them for that. it is great marketing success. now they can even sell toilet paper with bitten apple logo and get 3 billion dollars.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

that wont be for ipads or iphones as they run ios4 - the mobile version of the os - which gives app developers an ad framework called iAds so they can deliver targeted adverts in the app, rather than at an os level.

iAds actually look quite cool, and as far as i can tell they can be ignored as easily as the current ads that apear in free/lite versions of the bigger iphone & ipad apps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7WVt63S49s

the most likely use is for these kind of OS-level ads are to for providing free ad-enabled versions of big OS X upgrades - the kind that usually cost >£100 - not the snow- leopard cheapo 30 quid upgrade

the idea being that you can run a trial version of the OS indefinitely if you are prepared to sit through ads from time to time. otherwise you can pay for the damn thing like you're supposed to and they'll go away.

me? i'll pay as i happen to like their products, and when i want to watch a film, download a torrent (!), install some background system process that heps me do stuff, add a nice swirly transition when switching between desktops, write a word doc, whatever... i dont want to have to spend 3 hours 'tinkering' with repositories and dependencies in order to get the damn thing working. i want to be able to use my computer to do what i want. i dont want to have to fight with it.

and if i have to pay for the privilege of not having adverts, well, i'll make that call.

and as james so rightly points out, if you dont wanna pay for your apple software, well there is always mac-bb ;)

btw paul, how's your grub? i assume by the fact that you're online again you managed to fix your linux installation and can now use your computer again? ;)

*cough* :innocent:

:lol:

seriously through, companies patent all kinds of stuff, just because they have an idea. you should see some of the f**ked up stuff microsoft patent. most of it never sees the light of day.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

this is quite a good article describing the patent application, and what it could mean

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/22 ... ng_system/

conclusion:
When Apple offers a major upgrade to Mac OS X, it has typically charged $129. (The current version, 10.6.x — aka Snow Leopard — is an anomaly, being mostly an under-the-hood refinement rather than a major upgrade, and costing only $29). Perhaps when Mac OS X 10.7 appears, you'll have the option of receiving it free of charge if you consent to watching a few ads.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?