Duisburg deaths

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Did you hear about the tragedy in Duisburg yesterday? :(
I can't believe it, the first thing the organisers said on the news yesterday was that it was the partygoers' fault. They said that people climbed over fences to get on the premises, fell on top of each other and were trampeled on. But that's not what happened. People were trapped and got killed when they tried to get out.
As far as I know all dead were found at the foot of those stairs. Those amateur videos were taken before the panic, but especially the second gives a good idea about what was going to happen:
Stairs 1
Stairs 2

And the town counsil of Duisburg still yesterday insisted that the security concept was good :urff:

PS - and on this amateur video you can also see that people trampeled down fences to get off, not on the premises, and run uphill.
vid from inside tunnel
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Aye, caught it last night. :(

Total nightmare - one can only hope that lesson have indeed been learned.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Maybe overdoing your capacity by 500 percent just for profits had something to do with it :evil:

The organiser was 'shocked and stated that he will not organise another Love Parade ever again'.

Indeed, because he will be in jail very soon if there's any justice...
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Maybe overdoing your capacity by 500 percent just for profits had something to do with it :evil:

The organiser was 'shocked and stated that he will not organise another Love Parade ever again'.

Indeed, because he will be in jail very soon if there's any justice...
Yeah, and hopefully some more reasonable person will find a suitable
location for this pretty event ... I think it were a shame to let it go ...

That's like never a soccer match again after someone got stubbed
or after the breakdown of one or other (in fact) bleachers ...

Worst thing is, that over here in Germany some (for their very own publicity)
start shouting about morals and shame and religion and divine punishment ... :urff: :urff: :urff: ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

correct me if i'm wrong but i heard that it was free ( non-ticket) event.

Roskilde goes on after 2000 accident, so there is no point in stopping that.

we call "soccer" football her . :wink:
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I agree Being645, Mr. Schaller has no right to declare the Love Parade dead, it's not his property.
I too read what Eva Braun - erm, I mean Herman, wrote :urff:
Wonder if she ever was that far out there, or if she went mental because things went so wrong for her lately.

Bartek - Yes it's free for the participants! There is not really profit to be made in the party itself. So the people who now organise it took it away from Berlin and used it as a marketing and image vehicle. And I guess when you sell the drinks to 1.4 million people who are locked in one area and HAVE to buy from you, you can make a lot of profit.
In Berlin, of course you could bring your drinks, because there were no fences or anything. You could come and leave any time you want, bring your own drinks and food - it wasn't commercial. I guess that was the magic.

Sorry for ranting... :oops:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Sita wrote: Sorry for ranting... :oops:
If people start apologising on HL for ranting we're going to be here all day. :wink:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

"Night" you mean :von:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:"Night" you mean :von:

IZ.
As my dear departed Granny once observed of some of her fellow residents in the care home, "There's some of them as can't tell night from day." :wink: