Slightly depressed.... (CBPOB)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

A bit worried about some health issues, had some tests done today but until further notice, I await that comment stating "you had 98 percent chance of it being something rather dull, and it IS"...

Chances are it is just that, but still... I ain't 18 no more...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
damagedone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I went to check my blood pressure and some stethoscope
examination on my breathing.Doctor said everything seemed fine,but I better quit smoking.I've never tried this before.The worst part is that I don't really want to stop smoking.If someone who did it could give me any advices,I'll be most grateful.
Keep Music Evil
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:A bit worried about some health issues, had some tests done today but until further notice, I await that comment stating "you had 98 percent chance of it being something rather dull, and it IS"...

IZ.
fingers crossed here big man, hope all is well. :kiss:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Izzy HaveMercy

To top it all off, broke my big toe today, two days before the holidays, by dropping a big feck-off SKAIVE on my foot! :evil:

IZ.
christophe
Overbomber

Sorry Iz
:lol:

(but fingers crossed for that other stuff :| )
Another Shade of You.
17.auflage

damagedone wrote:I went to check my blood pressure and some stethoscope
examination on my breathing.Doctor said everything seemed fine,but I better quit smoking.I've never tried this before.The worst part is that I don't really want to stop smoking.If someone who did it could give me any advices,I'll be most grateful.
I stoped smoking 9 month before. It is my very first try to quit it. Smoked over 25 years and more than 50 cigarettes a day. I stopped it from one day to the other.
A few advices? Sounds ridicoulos. But don´t smoke.

:urff:

ask your doctor. He knows about the problems during quiting and can help.
Try to find people who will help you. Maybe in a internet community or in real life. Think from day to day. don´t think you will lose something.
If you want to get more advices, pm me. Happy to help.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
James Blast
Banned

smoking fags is great, it's big and dead clever and the womenfolk just love a man who can't function without 12 fags and three cups of Joe ;D

I'm fighting them off :roll:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy

Seconded the whole line wit Siebzehn there ;)

I quit a million times, but the last time was two years ago and never had the urge to start again.

What did I do different now?

Well, I just quit and always said NO to a cigarette.

When the urge comes, eg. in the pub, be hard as stone and GO HOME. Drinking an ice-cold refreshing glass of (minted) water might sound a bit dull and hippy-esque, but it worked me as well, especially in the summertime.

After two years, I know what it's worth.

And don't lie to yerself, from the bottom of your heart you know that you don't like smoking. Your body will never agree with toxic fumes so besides the stupid short-term happy feel of the nicotine and maybe a satisfactory ritualistic set of handlings (try out wanking instead :lol:), your body revolts against it by any means (shivers, coughing, heart racing etc)...

Stop it, you don't need Nicorette or candy bars either.

Listen to your body, it started out clean and it still remembers. Give it what it deserves.

IZ.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

just multiple things going on at the same time. I need to get away for at least a couple of weeks sometimes soon
Izzy HaveMercy

Oh, and very important.

When you DO smoke a cigarette again after a while, don't consider it a failure. If you do you start again, so DON'T.

Just think "ah well, a small misstep, but hey! That's just one in a couple of days-weeks-months and a LOT less in the final run" and just KEEP ON QUITTING ;D

IZ.
christophe
Overbomber

don't start

coat
Another Shade of You.
James Blast
Banned

that's why you aren't big or clever ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
radiojamaica
Overbomber

I only smoke when there's alcohol involved... but then loads of both please :innocent:
in dub we trust
Holly_DelRey

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:A bit worried about some health issues, had some tests done today but until further notice, I await that comment stating "you had 98 percent chance of it being something rather dull, and it IS"...

IZ.

:| Hope it's nothing serious Iz. Take care of you.
Me dads got stage 3 cancer in two organs..getting surgery monday. He'll get through it tho.
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
Holly_DelRey

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: Listen to your body, it started out clean and it still remembers. Give it what it deserves.

IZ.
Very wise words 8)
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
Izzy HaveMercy

IZ.
It's nothing to worry about, just got confirmation :)

Some little ailment called IBS, which is just a way to say that they can'tfind something else ;D

Anyhoo, no cancers, no AIDS, no malaria, that's what I wanted to hear...

IZ.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

IBS. have been dealing with it for quite a while now. dietary and lifestyle changes will be good. chamomille and mint tea will be your friends and of course less stress. at the end it's good news:)
Izzy HaveMercy

sziamiau wrote:IBS. have been dealing with it for quite a while now. dietary and lifestyle changes will be good. chamomille and mint tea will be your friends and of course less stress. at the end it's good news:)
Yeap. More (light) walking, swimming and biking. Mint ain'ta prob at all for me, although I have to eat more After Eights now since I stopped smoking Kent Menthol 2 years ago ;)

After all, it is not really a disease, more of a minor inconvenience two or three times a year (in my case)

IZ.
christophe
Overbomber

glad to hear you turned out allright Iz :wink:
how is the toe? :p
Another Shade of You.
Izzy HaveMercy

christophe wrote:glad to hear you turned out allright Iz :wink:
how is the toe? :p
Broken ;D

Nine days and then the tape will come off...

Glad it ain't a plaster cast...

IZ.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

IZ.
It's nothing to worry about, just got confirmation :)

Some little ailment called IBS, which is just a way to say that they can'tfind something else ;D

Anyhoo, no cancers, no AIDS, no malaria, that's what I wanted to hear...

IZ.
That's good to hear, Iz!
in dub we trust
Holly_DelRey

Good to hear Iz. I have IBS too...lots of water and eat more food with fiber.
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
James Blast
Banned

IBS - Irritable Belgian Syndrome ;D
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

sorry, that should be 'Irrational Belgian Syndrome' ;D

Gawd! I feel such a fool now :lol:
~ Peter Steele
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

damagedone wrote:I went to check my blood pressure and some stethoscope
After 20 years of smoking 20-40 fags a day I've quit on the 14th of June this year, and I'm successful so far. It's been about the 4th time I tried, so I know that the worst bit will come when I start to feel "safe" (after about 3 months or so). On the other hand, having failed 3 times before has pushed my motivation to succeed onto a higher level.

Besides, I've had help this time, as I called the quit-smoking-helpline and they gave me a few precious pieces of advice:
1. Use the little helpers you can get: patches, nicotine chewing gum etc. Thus you can split the withdrawals into two steps: psychological first, and when that pain has subsided, the physical. This procedure increases your chances to succeed by 50%!
2. Find a hobby to keep your fingers occupied during the first few days/weeks/months.

Re 1) Using the patches and nicotine gums in cases of emergency (urge to smoke) has helped me a lot so far. And although I'm reducing the patches to zero within 3 months, I'll always keep the nicotine chewing gums for cases of emergency: better chew than smoke.
Re 2) I've done jewelry (sp?), especially necklaces, for a few weeks, which has turned out to have a meditation-like, very calming effect on me.

And they've told me something else very useful: In the third week (and later in the 3rd month, and again in the 3rd year) you'll have "fits" of craving for a fag. This is a well-known phenomenon and will pass after a few days. I've had this already after about 10 "easy" first days. 2 days of madly craving a fag. After 2 days the craving was gone completely. During these two hard days I've survived with my chewing gums, and afterwards was very, VERY proud of myself for having resisted.

However, don't hurry yourself: rather wait a few more weeks and prepare mentally for this huge step, than hurry yourself and fail. Try to find out why you smoke, in what situations and what you could do instead. In the best of cases during this process you also achieve a state of mind where you really want to quit smoking. And then you'll enjoy the regained feeling of freedom, of compete independence.

I wish you success and all the best!
You can't fix stupid.