Media player advice r.e flac

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Hello all,I'm reasonably adept now at the whole megaupload thing with mp3's but I still struggle to make sense of the "convert flac to mp3" thread.
My pc got seriously virused up a couple of months ago,and when it came back from the shop having been fixed they had put vlc media player on it,as well as the standard windows media player.Now wmp gets a lot of stick,but I like it,and it's dead easy to use,but it won't play flac files.However vlc will,but it seems bloody awkward to use,at the moment,having downloaded the Leamington Spa gig,I have to go into my "my music" folder,find the file,then right click and select "play with vlc" Is there an easier way?
Also,I saw a mention when I was researching this last night of foobar2000,is it worth downloading,as it appears to support flac.and the screenshots look similiar to wmp?
Any advice would be appreciated,thank you.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

http://www.freerip.com/features.php

The basic version is free and rips anything from cd, but also converts to the types mentioned. Including FLAC.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Pista
Cureboi

I'd kick wmp into touch, unless you download a bunch of codecs to enable it to plat FLACs. It will play them but it's a pain in the arris.

VLC is good, but seems incapable of gapless playback & that is fecking irritating when listening to a show.

I'd opt for winamp tbh.
You can get add ons that enable it to play just about anything you chuck at it (even apple lossless).

Of course you could always just convert the files with Trader's Little Helper or flac frontend.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

I use Winamp for audio playback and TLH for conversion tasks (if needed)
originalgoth
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

ribbons69 wrote: However vlc will,but it seems bloody awkward to use,at the moment,having downloaded the Leamington Spa gig,I have to go into my "my music" folder,find the file,then right click and select "play with vlc" Is there an easier way?

Any advice would be appreciated,thank you.
When you do the above bit - Right click etc. go down to the "Choose Program" option, select VLC and then at the bottom of that small window there's a check box that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".
Click on the check box and click OK and you shouldn't have to keep doing it for FLACs in future.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

i mostly use vlc for playback and it seems to do the job just fine.

but when i want to convert FLAC files to mp3 i first convert them into wav with winamp, then convert the wav's to mp3 with itunes because i can't be arsed with those conversion gizmos (which, i suspect, would take a lot less time :lol:)
originalgoth

I find Switch audio file converter to be quite useful - converts from FLAC, wav, MP3 to lots of other formats and is so easy to use.
It's free to non commercial users.

Click on the "Download Switch......" on this link.
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

Mothra

I found this page really helpful. http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/08/14/ho ... g-windows/

Might not tell you anything that you don't already know, but I also struggled to follow other instructions. Ultimately, I find the whole FLAC conversation process a big enough pain in the arse that unless its something I really wanna hear, I don't tend to bother downloading them now.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

wow, i can't believe it's so difficult.

it's so easy to batch convert a pile of flacs into any other format (wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, whatever) using xact on a mac.

there must be a point & click equivalent app for pc :urff:

i'm not saying that in a mac v pc way, but there really must. it's becoming an increasingly common file format that i cant believe no one has made a decent, simple windows app that can do it :roll:

unless you're all just not trying hard enough with what's out there :innocent:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Linux it's even easier:

Code: Select all

for f in *.flac ; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -acodec mp3 -ab 192k  "$(basename $f .flac).mp3" ; done
:innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

there must be a point & click equivalent app for pc Wierded Out
Traders little Helper
originalgoth

While looking inthe Weeding section last night, I came across this weed..
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=20641

When you click on the sample track link it wants you to download VLC Media Player, so I did that - it's actually a nifty bit of kit.

Plays everything including FLAC. You can play around with the graphic equeliser.

It also plays video files & lets you play around with them as well, adjust sync, flip by 90 degrees (handy if you're laying down) and a few other nifty things as well.

Might be worth a look Ribbons

PS
The sample track (Train) sounds amazing - I just wish I had a CD burner so I could get back into the weeding section.

Pista
Cureboi

originalgoth wrote:While looking inthe Weeding section last night, I came across this weed..

When you click on the sample track link it wants you to download VLC Media Player, so I did that - it's actually a nifty bit of kit.

Plays everything including FLAC. You can play around with the graphic equeliser.

It also plays video files & lets you play around with them as well, adjust sync, flip by 90 degrees (handy if you're laying down) and a few other nifty things as well.

PS
The sample track (Train) sounds amazing - I just wish I had a CD burner so I could get back into the weeding section.
Only thing that lets it down is the lack of gapless playback support. Otherwise it's brilliant.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

originalgoth wrote:While looking inthe Weeding section last night, I came across this weed..

PS
As I mention above somewhere,my pc came back from a repair job with vlc attached,and it does play the flac quite well.I don't find it nearly as "user friendly" as wmp though,but that may well just be lack of familiarity with it.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
originalgoth

ribbons69 wrote: As I mention above somewhere,my pc came back from a repair job with vlc attached,and it does play the flac quite well.I don't find it nearly as "user friendly" as wmp though,but that may well just be lack of familiarity with it.
Sorry david,
I did see that in your post when you first posted it but forgot it as the time went by.

I only downloaded it so that I could hear the sample of the Royal Albert hall weed. I've only used it a couple of times since last night and like Pista said, it doesn't play seemlessly.

I haven't tried the video player part of it yet so will give that a go and see how it performs.

James Blast
Banned

VLC is actually a very powerful wee program, I'd dig further into their Help files or check some forums, it doesn't just decode, it encodes, and in many formats. xACT is my preferred weapon of choice but as the Boss said this is not the place for a Mac (full of WIN!) vs. peecee (full of FAIL!) discussion. ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

markfiend wrote:Linux it's even easier:

Code: Select all

for f in *.flac ; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -acodec mp3 -ab 192k  "$(basename $f .flac).mp3" ; done
:innocent:
:evil: ffmpeg has broken. :evil: Saying mp3 isn't a supported audio codec WTF?

Still, there are other ways to do it... VLC as my brother Blast says above, for one.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell