The Exorcist Directors Cut

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Over here in the US , for a limited run , certain cinemas are showing the directors cut of the best horror movie of all time , with remastered picture and sound , plus , additional scenes.
Cannot wait!!!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Your mother cooks socks in hell!

That's right isn't it? :innocent:

The first time I saw The Exorcist was at a midnight showing at the cinema at the top of Vicar Lane in Leeds (not there any more) circa 1990. Fabulous.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

Oh yeah, great flick. The prequel was good too. Which one? Er.... the good one. I forget the title of the good one and of the bad one.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

number 2 (tee hee) with R Burton was pish
3 Legion was quite good
I've seen the original Dominion prequel but not the one remade after the event when the studio panicked and wanted more action.

It was also not bad.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
sultan2075
Overbomber

Yeah, the original prequel is quite good. The actiony one... not so much.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
James Blast
Banned

markfiend wrote:Your mother cooks socks in hell!
Non! "Your mother sells whelks in hull!"
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

James Blast wrote:
markfiend wrote:Your mother cooks socks in hell!
Non! "Your mother sells whelks in hull!"
:lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

I thought it was Your Mother sells socks in Wells :?

Great film by the way. :notworthy:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

Blast! fear Exorcist, watched only 'calm' bits of it - good Catholic Boy and all that, it might be too close to the truth etc. :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
czuczu
Overbomber

I remember seeing it for Halloween in Mancland back in the 90s - all the students laughing at the Regan swearing bits but s**t themselves for the old-school hospital tests and scary x-ray machine :lol:
Garbageman

Saw it about 6yrs ago at the movies and it still scared the crap out of me.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
mh
Above the Chemist

Heh, I remember seeing a midnight showing of it down a local cinema maybe 15 years ago; 2 kids were sitting behind me and were playing the tough guy act up until a certain point in it, when they suddenly went very quiet... :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Garbageman

My 16 year old wants to watch it , however , I try to explain that she is not ready for it yet.
Her response is, "Dad , it is just a movie."
She does not know.....
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

<ignorant_mode:on> i've never seen that movie and i'm proud of it. <ignorant_mode:off>
robertzombie
Overbomber

Saw it when I was twelve and it didn't scare me. Studied it for my degree and it scared the bejesus out of me! :lol:
robertzombie
Overbomber

I'd imagine this is the reason for the theatrical re-run:

They're doing the same thing with Back To The Future :D
Petseri
Overbomber

How many of you grew up within spitting distance of where the events which inspired Blatty took place? :eek:

If this version of the film is what came out about 10 years ago, then there are some interesting clips included which flesh out the story a tad, but some of the special effects modifications were unnecessary. Still, worth seeing.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Petseri wrote:How many of you grew up within spitting distance of where the events which inspired Blatty took place? :eek:

If this version of the film is what came out about 10 years ago, then there are some interesting clips included which flesh out the story a tad, but some of the special effects modifications were unnecessary. Still, worth seeing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Mannheim for those interested ;-)

This post was brought to you by markfiend's mine of useless information. ©2010 by markfiend.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

Thanks to this thread I wasted at least an hour yesterday reading up on exorcism and related subjects on Ye Olde Wikipedia, including the article you've linked, Mark.
--
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

—Bertrand Russell
Petseri
Overbomber

Take a look at http://www.strangemag.com/exorcistpage1.html as well. I have not read the article in maybe a decade (but I recall that there was one lead which he did not take or question which he did not consider), but it does offer some other explanations. I do appreciate the fact that the author was willing to do some research and not just reword what had been making the rounds. I can say that I had heard of the Bunker Road address in the 1970s (by 1977 at least) already, not in the 1980s.

While I do not take this article as canon, Possessedseemed off somehow, even if Rev. Halloran seemed to like it. I do not mean the skewed camera angles during interviews in In the Grip of Evil which induced motion sickness either. I just do not recall how Allen came in possession (no pun intended, really) of the diary. I do not remember how he answered when I asked him, but if obviously was not a memorable explanation. I am sure that it is explained in the book. When I get the time (ha ha) I will take a look.
James Blast
Banned

'canon' eh, ewww get you! :lol:
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Petseri wrote:Take a look at http://www.strangemag.com/exorcistpage1.html as well. I have not read the article in maybe a decade (but I recall that there was one lead which he did not take or question which he did not consider), but it does offer some other explanations.
Aye, well, to be fair, with my sceptic hat on, I have to think that there almost has to be another explanation; demonic possession is not exactly a parsimonious assumption...
—Bertrand Russell
xxKyo13xx
Road Kill

I haven't seen the movie (and don't really plan to), but when I saw the picture of Linda Blair when her character was possessed it scared the heebie jeebies out of me. :eek: And every time I had a nightmare she was in it.
Garbageman

It seems to get more intense as you get older.