moving to Leeds

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
doulfe
Amphetamine Filth

as a postgrad student at Leeds Uni :P

Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet more heartlanders this way, there are not too many here in Romania :roll: (none actually). And, of course, Sisters gigs ;D Sibiu was nice, but I want more ;D

So. Looking forward to get there. Any advices? :lol:

P.S.: currently looking for a room to rent. Received some offers, trying to arrange some viewings for next week but I have to stay somewhere until I can decide which house to move into. Any suggestions of cheap(ish) hotels would be most appreciated ;D
It's a small world and it smells funny Image
Silver_Owl
The Don

Good for you. :D
No idea on hotels I'm afraid but plenty of people on here will be able to help.
Lovely part of the world. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The Travelodge on Vicar Lane is pretty cheap, but not very close to the Uni and/or student areas.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Swinnow
Overbomber

There's also the ETAP...

http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/hotel-6002- ... ndex.shtml

and Headingley Lodge at the Rugby/ Cricket stadium which is perfectly placed in the student ghetto of LS6

http://www.headingleylodge.co.uk
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

another good reason for a proper Heartland Leeds Contingent Meet Up ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:another good reason for a proper Heartland Leeds Contingent Meet Up ;D
:oops:

I can give heap plenty of info on Headingley, north Leeds and the like. Probably too much to post here. PM me anytime and I'll see what I can do.
Four strings good, six strings bad
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

doulfe wrote:as a postgrad student at Leeds Uni :P

Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet more heartlanders this way, there are not too many here in Romania :roll: (none actually). And, of course, Sisters gigs ;D Sibiu was nice, but I want more ;D

P.S.: currently looking for a room to rent. Received some offers, trying to arrange some viewings for next week but I have to stay somewhere until I can decide which house to move into. Any suggestions of cheap(ish) hotels would be most appreciated ;D
Good decision - its a wonderful city. I'm at the uni as well, going into the third year of an undergraduate course.

Stick in North Leeds if you can. That's the most lively student area. Aim your house hunting primarily in Hyde Park if you want to be "in the thick of it". Otherwise Headlingly is nice but a little further away from uni (but has plenty of shops and things of its own) and Woodhouse is usually a bit cheaper, but slightly rougher and less studenty.

As for cheap hotels... Looks like the travelodge will be your best yet - it's almost certainly the cheapest hotel nearest to the uni.

If you want any more detailed advice or just a natter please feel free to drop me a PM. :)
Nationalise the f**king lot.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Welcome!

I know of a couple of people with rooms to rent. Give us a shout!

8)
James Blast
Banned

Tomothy is Heartland's rent boy :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
doulfe
Amphetamine Filth

PMed some of you. Thank you very very much for all the help.
See you there ;D
It's a small world and it smells funny Image
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

James Blast wrote:Tomothy is Heartland's rent boy :lol:
Well, technically a pimp.

8)
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

see you here :wink:

timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

:lol: :notworthy: :lol:

That bloody boat. If it wasn't for the good jukebox selection, I'd be most unimpressed.

Bloody students.

Yes, I acknowledge the irony. :oops:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I stopped going there a while ago. The staff are fooking atrocious. Proper rude and totally useless. There's one woman that pretends they don't serve anything she can't be bother to make - including hot drinks and cocktails!

I prefer...

which also has a cracking jukebox - including Psychonaut and Nine While Nine!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

And it's less of an ice-box.

I remember the days (many moons ago, and (obviously) pre-smoking ban) that, when it was quiet, you could get away with skinning up in the Fenton. :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
abridged
Slight Overbomber

doulfe wrote:as a postgrad student at Leeds Uni :P

Avoid Batley, Huddersfield and Halifax. In any order. ;D
The Chancer Corporation
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

and apparently von can (still!) be spotted in the fenton from time to time.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Fine example of a proper Northern pub, the Fenton. Gets my vote also. 8)
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Apparently mentioned in the Mish bio as a "centre of morbid goings on".

Certainly one of my favourite pubs in Leeds. Captures the spirit nicely, it's distinctly rock n'roll without resorting to gimmicks and silliness, just quietly confident of its own coolness.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Maisey wrote:Apparently mentioned in the Mish bio as a "centre of morbid goings on".

Certainly one of my favourite pubs in Leeds. Captures the spirit nicely, it's distinctly rock n'roll without resorting to gimmicks and silliness, just quietly confident of its own coolness.
And the Lancashire Hotpots once played upstairs....what a night that was :notworthy:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Last time I was there it was a proper sh*thole

Edit: it was a wee while ago
:innocent:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:Last time I was there it was a proper sh*thole
I like dives though :wink:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

We used to drink in the Royal Park - far enough off the beaten track not to be full of poxy students but near enough to everything else. Dont' know if they still have it but there was a pool table in the basement along with a splendid jukebox which hadn't been updated since the 80s - I think we may have set a record for the number of plays of Jennifer Rush/Power of Love in a signle evening... :oops:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Basement is now a live venue. It's a really cool little hole in the ground, sadly let down by the fact that they can't use any form of smoke, which leaves it without the atmosphere that other subterranean venues (like the late Subculture) had.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

If all else fails pop over to the Rock Shack on Cardigan Road - don't know if Glyn still works there but he was a reliable source of tea, HRS strings (which are a bastard to get anywhere else), and not entirely averse to having some people sit around poking smot, listening to Zep, and getting out of the rain for a spell.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody