your latest thaang

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
sam1
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

timsinister wrote:
sam1 wrote:I keep going back to LEXX-must be something about a dead assassin,a security guard ,a sex slave(part lizard!) and a space ship that eats planets ,that makes me sit and watch it
nobody I know seems to watch it (or has heard of it!!)

I watched a very blurry VHS copy of the feature-length pilot. Very clumsy but quite intriguing. Recommended?
totally recommended
:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx
Debaser
Overbomber

Andie wrote:
Debaser wrote: :x Saying that I do thing Kingdom is due another series :wink:
Sorry to be the one to tell you...but listening to an Interview with Mr S Fry, he said that Kingdom had been...um...shelved :(
Something similar was said on the other night's QI. I may have to start doing jigsaws again :lol:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Debaser
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:
Debaser wrote: Did enjoy Grandma's House, that Simon Anstell thing (who I don't particularly like)
nope, tried the first utter s**t
In your opinion and what do you know :P :lol: :lol:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Well here you have it...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Izzy HaveMercy

30 posts and counting! :notworthy:

IZ.
James Blast
Banned

IZ.

there really is no need for you to sign your posts, we've figured out avatars n' shit. Standard! ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy

James Blast wrote:IZ.

there really is no need for you to sign your posts, we've figured out avatars n' shit. Standard! ;D
Can't help it, it is something I do standard on all forums I frequent (all 3, that is).

I learned to undersign all my posts while I was in Uni (I wuz taught dat!), and that's something that stuck up until now.

A bit of good manners so to speak, maybe ;)

IZ.
splintered thing

sam1 wrote:
timsinister wrote:
sam1 wrote:I keep going back to LEXX-must be something about a dead assassin,a security guard ,a sex slave(part lizard!) and a space ship that eats planets ,that makes me sit and watch it
nobody I know seems to watch it (or has heard of it!!)

I watched a very blurry VHS copy of the feature-length pilot. Very clumsy but quite intriguing. Recommended?
totally recommended
:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx
Oh yes - and if you don't get Kai's song stuck in your head you are not trying hard enough! :lol:
Current revisit for us is the Goodies... some of which are not entirely Good, as it were.
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
boudicca
Sister Midnight

timsinister wrote:
boudicca wrote:Aye, I think so... don't worry, I'm well aware feminism is no longer fashionable. But then, neither's crimping your hair to buggery or listening to the Sisters, but that's never stopped me either :lol: :P
Not that I'm one to put the cat amongst the pigeons, but isn't feminism a bit 'overkill' these days? It's not as though you have to rail against men prejudicing against you for your gender...is it?

Seems to me we're all more than busy just trying to get on with it.
What can I say - I disagree wholeheartedly, but I'm conscious that this thread is really not the place to enter into a discussion on the topic of the post-feminist complacency/backlash that so many people (women included) appear to have bought into.

I would just say one thing though - for the overwhelming majority of feminists, feminism has absolutely f**k all to do with "railing against men" as you put it. It never did. But I really don't want to have a big debate - I'm not even going to be at home in the next few days, and I have a feeling I would be having to contribute a lot...
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
boudicca
Sister Midnight

And also, did you know that there is a special variant of Godwin's Law, whereby "As an online discussion concerning feminism grows longer, the probability of the use of the word "Feminazis" approaches 1." :P
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

something I read elsewhere on the innertubes wrote:Feminism is the remarkable proposition that women are human beings.
Personally, I think any woman who says "ooh, but I'm not a feminist" is effectively saying "ooh, but I'm a doormat". If you think gender equality has been achieved you haven't been paying attention.

Also, Kerry is a big fan of Bidisha too.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Wiki Wizard

boudicca wrote:
timsinister wrote:
boudicca wrote:Aye, I think so... don't worry, I'm well aware feminism is no longer fashionable. But then, neither's crimping your hair to buggery or listening to the Sisters, but that's never stopped me either :lol: :P
Not that I'm one to put the cat amongst the pigeons, but isn't feminism a bit 'overkill' these days? It's not as though you have to rail against men prejudicing against you for your gender...is it?

Seems to me we're all more than busy just trying to get on with it.
What can I say - I disagree wholeheartedly, but I'm conscious that this thread is really not the place to enter into a discussion on the topic of the post-feminist complacency/backlash that so many people (women included) appear to have bought into.

I would just say one thing though - for the overwhelming majority of feminists, feminism has absolutely f**k all to do with "railing against men" as you put it. It never did. ...
... :D ... I have slept with all the girls in Berlin ... :lol: , well no, I haven't, but I don't have to, fortunately, since I'm a girl ... ;D ...

@ boudicca ... as you say, it's a discussion too long for this thread ...
Last edited by Being645 on 21 Sep 2010, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Maybe for some other day - I couldn't possibly have a reasoned discussion now as I'm feeling terribly pre-menstrual :lol:

@Mark - Right on as always 8)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

as a wise man once said: sisters are doing it to themselves

the world's gone gaga
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:lol: ... in fact.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
something I read elsewhere on the innertubes wrote:Feminism is the remarkable proposition that women are human beings.
Personally, I think any woman who says "ooh, but I'm not a feminist" is effectively saying "ooh, but I'm a doormat". If you think gender equality has been achieved you haven't been paying attention.
that's a bit of a fleeting generalisation imho.

particularly when you consider that some women say that they are not feminists simply because they want to dissociate themselves from the hysterical attention seekers who have more or less monopolised the title 'feminist', replaced gender equality ideals with bitter misandry, corrupted the very essence of the feminist philosophy which your quote so elegantly captures, and alienated a sizeable chunk of the population whose rights they claim to advocate.

that does not make them any less of a human being.

not convinced?

in that case i'm one happy, proud doormat ;D

and no, this is probably not the place for a thorough discussion of feminism. i just felt the need to clarify where i stand because it was i who started it, albeit inadvertently. it's all Charlie Brooker's fault! :twisted: :lol:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I did light the fuse, I did apply it to the blue touch paper, I did not retire to a safe distance... :oops:

I'm certainly happy to be enlightened though, assuming boudicca can do that without ripping my head off.

NB:
That's not because she's a feminist woman, she just really likes hurting me. :wink:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

could all the woman please stop posting and get back in the f*cking kitchen?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

do you really want food poisoning? :lol:
sam1

weebleswobble wrote:could all the woman please stop posting and get back in the f*cking kitchen?
As long as they don't get in my way!! :)
culprit

:innocent: *blows feminism debate to one side*

I'm rediscovering Steven Spielbergs 'Taken' at moment, not half as bad as I thought it would be.
And found the box set of Firefly, so coming over all all scifi/cowboy/space piratey.
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
James Blast
Banned

Taken is well boss :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Francis
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:IT Crowd does.
That's a comedy show? :eek: I thought it was low budget reality programming! :lol:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
James Blast
Banned

but without the real life fun, yeah?
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

LouLou wrote:... the hysterical attention seekers who have more or less monopolised the title 'feminist', replaced gender equality ideals with bitter misandry, corrupted the very essence of the feminist philosophy which your quote so elegantly captures, and alienated a sizeable chunk of the population whose rights they claim to advocate. ...
Yeah the funny thing is, I've never met, or even heard of, anyone who is genuinely like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell