Cinema Paradiso

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silver_Owl
The Don

So, Mrs. H and myself went to the flicks last night.
I'd forgotten to buy tickets to Gong in Birmingham and we had babysitter booked so....

We went to see 25 Kilates, award winning Spanish thriller at The Sundance film festival.

Paid the money, got the tickets. Was pointed in the direction of the screen. No visiuals on the big screen, no arses on seats. Went back and asked if we had the right screen.

'Oh yes, we're about to start it now' we were told.

5 minutes later. A DVD blue screen comes on and the film starts in the middle of a scene with no sound. Off I went back to reception.

'Oh yes. The 'projectionist' is just sorting out the sound'.

5 minutes later they started it again. Glitches in the sound every minute or so. Drop out of sound for 2 seconds.

Another 5 minutes later, the projectionist and the manageress appear. The disc is f*cked. Sundance only send us one disc. Sorry, here's your cash back.

Home by 8.30. Great night out. :lol:

But my question is...Is it common practice for cinemas to show DVD's? I paid (before the refund) £15 to watch a DVD.

:?
Last edited by Silver_Owl on 21 Sep 2010, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

:lol: What a story... :?

AFAIK and recently have witnessed no DVD's in Dutch cinema's.
"as we walk on the floodland"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

A friend went to see It's a Wonderful Life at Cottage Road cinema last night and reported back that it was (probably) a DVD.

It was a freebie from some vodka company though, so he had no complaints.

(They're doing a different movie each night this week. I quite fancy Shawshank Redemption tomorrow if I can hear anything by then.)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Big Si
School Bully

Hom_Corleone wrote:So, Mrs. H and myself went to the flicks last night.
I'd forgotten to buy tickets to Gong in Birmingham and we had babysitter booked so....

We went to see 25 Kilates, award winning Spanish thriller at The Sundance film festival.

Paid the money, got the tickets. Was pointed in the direction of the screen. No visiuals on the big screen, no arses on seats. Went back and asked if we had the right screen.

'Oh yes, we're about to start it now' we were told.

5 minutes later. A DVD blue screen comes on and the film starts in the middle of a scene with no sound. Off I went back to reception.

'Oh yes. The 'projectionist' is just sorting out the sound'.

5 minutes later they started it again. Glitches in the sound every minute or so. Drop out of sound for 2 seconds.

Another 5 minutes later, the projectionist and the manageress appear. The disc is f*cked. Sundance only send us one disc. Sorry, here's your cash back.

Home by 8.30. Great night out. :lol:

But my question is...Is it common practice for cinemas to show DVD's? I paid (before the refund) £15 to watch a DVD.

:?
Is it a "Digital" Theatre? Then yes it'll be a DVD that's projected :|
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Silver_Owl
The Don

I don't know the answer to that Si.
Maybe I'm just an old romantix when it comes to cinema, I expected film reel. :?

I guess it's the way all cinemas are heading.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Big Si
School Bully

Hom_Corleone wrote:I don't know the answer to that Si.
Maybe I'm just an old romantix when it comes to cinema, I expected film reel. :?

I guess it's the way all cinemas are heading.
Another thing to blame George Lucas and his THX on ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
christophe
Overbomber

I think these days the 'smaller' movies are send out on dvd anyway. its just cheaper to manufacture (copy) and send out.
Another Shade of You.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Rubbish I say. Rubbish. :evil:

Campaign for real Cinema. Down with this sort of thing! ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Pista
Cureboi

Well, a dvd (preferably bluray) on a screen the size of a swimming pool sort of appeals to me.

Maybe the manufacturers should work in the whirring sounds of an old projector for that real cinema sound.
;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

I haven't done cinema since... early 80s when I got a VHS (I am being serious here).
Why put up with some other louts who chatter and munch, tiny seats and a movie you can't pause when 'nature calls'.
These days you have ersepiecels on their fuckin' mobiles too!

Get Bent! my hot dogs are better as well ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I usually go on my day off and see a first showing at 10 in the morning.
It is a private show usually......great stuff!!!
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Cats & Dogs 2: The Revenge Of Kitty Galore went smoothly @ Kirkstall Vue on Saturday morning, FWIW.
Four strings good, six strings bad
Silver_Owl
The Don

Norman Hunter wrote:Cats & Dogs 2: The Revenge Of Kitty Galore went smoothly @ Kirkstall Vue on Saturday morning, FWIW.
But was it on poxy DVD? :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Norman Hunter wrote:Cats & Dogs 2: The Revenge Of Kitty Galore went smoothly @ Kirkstall Vue on Saturday morning, FWIW.
This is Leedz we put real cats and dogs on sticks and imagine

:innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Silver_Owl
The Don

weebleswobble wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
This is Leedz we put real cats and dogs on sticks and imagine

:innocent:
:lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.