Sisters using ENGL amps?

Unknown songs and demos, who wrote what, who sang what, the usual biographies, discography gubbins, photos of Eldritch with no sunglasses, etc, etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda....
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

Are the Sisters still using ENGL amps? At what point did they go all Metal? Well Vision Thing I guess but apart from that.
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
paul
Overbomber

Engl makes rock amps, not particularly metal amps.
Rosalie
Amphetamine Filth

The Powerball is a metal amp though, generally. I guess they're pretty good for rock. I know Deep Purple use ENGLs so I guess they can do more than teh Br00talz, but generally ENGLs are a metal amp.

Most metal amps can play lower gain stuff too pretty well. In fact I think the Dual Rec does lower gain better as it doesn't turn into fizzy nu-metal used that way.

There's definitely a "Metal" tone on Vision Thing though, what amp was used?
Anne Widdecombe sucks.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i guess if they ( :von: ) can save some money and has amps for free or even with extra discount they don't give a quack, and don't forget that Mr shaggy is a metal/nu-meta/hard rock/hair metal guitarist.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

engl amps are connected to the current line up only. although vision thing did feature metal gear as well.

btw, the sisters sound these days is affected mostly by the people at the mixing desk, usually cutting the sharpness the metal gear provides ...
love is just a shot away
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

I'm a bit curious as to *why* the sponsor thing is on the Live News page - shouldn't they be making enough money off their giant tours?

To me it's pretty clear Andrew doesn't like it, as he has answered/mocked by "using Debian".

At least Chris has sounded in more than one interview like if he doesn't need "a crap job" anymore, but can play guitar for a living.

Aren't they paid enough by the old man? :wink:
paul
Overbomber

I don't think :von: gives them a monthly salary. I guess they get paid per show.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

paul wrote:I don't think :von: gives them a monthly salary. I guess they get paid per show.
Certainly, but that was not what I was thinking about. I'm just wondering why they are doing the sponsor thing when they, supposedly, don't need it and :von: doesn't even like it.

Are they some kind of contract musicians? I don't refer to the Sisters, but maybe to some artist agent or something similar. Like if they *have* to do the sponsor thing because they are not truly independent? :?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

I thought it was just common Rock Star Attitude ... :lol: ... had never come to the idea :von: might possibly not like it ...
paul
Overbomber

Yep, every musician gets horny if an endorser commits their name to a product. Not that interesting IMO...

They usually send you a free amp or in worst case you get a reduction in exchange for mentioning your name on their website or in their catalogue. In best case they let you be involved in the making of the product. In that case the product mostly carries the musician's name (like the Van Halen 5150 amp or the Marshall Lemmy signature amp).

You can't make a living out of an endorsement though...
jande
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

paul wrote:You can't make a living out of an endorsement though...
I don't know, George Foreman seems to have alright out of it :lol:
Say!
In the dark? Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?
paul
Overbomber

In boxing maybe, not in music :lol:
jande
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

not in boxing, healthy eating !!! :eek:

Ladies and Gentlemen in the kitchen corner it's.....

...George Foreman's Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine
http://www.georgeforeman.co.uk/history.html :lol:
Say!
In the dark? Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?
DasPerltAber
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Unless you, like mr. Van Halen, own the rights to the 5150 name and part of the circuitry used in those amps. In that case you get a percentage of the *manufacture* price of every one that is sold or an x amount if your patented design is licensed to a company. However..EVH is an exception though...as it's amps/strings/pu's/guitars/d-tuna/colour schemes/shoes that all contribute to him having a pretty nice monthly income based upon endorsements and patents alone.

For instance.. Adrian Vandenberg received a mere $10 per guitar that was shipped. It takes a lot of guitars making their way to the stores to be able to live off that. Unless you are EVH/George Lynch/Floyd Rose or the like and have a finger in a lot of different pies..it's definitely not gonna fly.

paul wrote:Yep, every musician gets horny if an endorser commits their name to a product. Not that interesting IMO...

They usually send you a free amp or in worst case you get a reduction in exchange for mentioning your name on their website or in their catalogue. In best case they let you be involved in the making of the product. In that case the product mostly carries the musician's name (like the Van Halen 5150 amp or the Marshall Lemmy signature amp).

You can't make a living out of an endorsement though...
Ian P. Christ
Amphetamine Filth

actually it's just ben who's using the engl amp.

he is also mentioned on the engl website:

http://www.engl-amps.com/notedusersmain.html

i guess he already used the amp before he even joined the sisters.

now, being in a big band, it's easier to get a sponsoring contract. not a that huge sisters/engl-connection after all...

chris is using a blackstar amp:

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk
XXX
Memphis Rich

I tried to 'em about Marx and ENGL's
Words are just turds
In sewers of sound
DasPerltAber

*drum roll*
Memphis Rich wrote:I tried to 'em about Marx and ENGL's
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

I was chatting with Chris the other day and I mentioned the discussion on here about amps etc, and he has put together the official explanation 8)
Mr Catalyst wrote:ENGL very kindly lent us some amps and cabs for the most recent US tour, so we reciprocated with a link on the Sisters site. They make very good, very loud amps, and they're surprisingly versatile. They're not just metal amps. Ben liked them so much that he bought one.

Blackstar are a small UK company who make brilliant amps which are perfect for the Sisters. They've really looked after us and we've looked after them a bit too. Probably not enough, now I think about it. They are fiercely independent and very cool (just like your beloved Sisters) and for that we love them. I liked them so much that I bought... three.
So there you go.

Cheers for the info Chris :D :notworthy: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
paul
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:They are fiercely independent and very cool (just like your beloved Sisters)

How patronizing :lol:
Last edited by paul on 24 Sep 2010, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:I was chatting with Chris the other day and I mentioned the discussion on here about amps etc, and he has put together the official explanation 8)
Thanks for that, now I feel much more comfortable with all this :lol:

Did he say anything else? :innocent:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

euphoria wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:I was chatting with Chris the other day and I mentioned the discussion on here about amps etc, and he has put together the official explanation 8)
Thanks for that, now I feel much more comfortable with all this :lol:

Did he say anything else? :innocent:
i couldn't possibly comment. :lol:
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Fair enough :wink:

I have a feeling if this guy ran The Sisters we would never have to wait for anything. Unlike now :P
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

euphoria wrote:Fair enough :wink:

I have a feeling if this guy ran The Sisters we would never have to wait for anything. Unlike now :P
i couldn't possibly comment. again. :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

now that we actually have an answer, i might stick this thread in FAQs :D