say something controversial, but mean it

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
I never saw the advantage in legalisation of drugs. ;)

Prostitution maybe, but not drugs.

IZ.

People are going use/abuse drugs regardless, so it might as well happen in as clean, safe and educated way as possible.
It would also generate plenty of revenue for the government.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Erudite wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
I never saw the advantage in legalisation of drugs. ;)

Prostitution maybe, but not drugs.

IZ.

People are going use/abuse drugs regardless, so it might as well happen in as clean, safe and educated way as possible.
It would also generate plenty of revenue for the government.
People going to bash each other's head in anyway, so let's just legalize murder so we can control it better.

Drugs kill people, end of story. Killing eople is not a nice thing to do, so cut the carp.

Old-fashioned view? Childish maybe? Ah, might as well be, but people offing themselves with these substances make me shiver...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
People going to bash each other's head in anyway, so let's just legalize murder so we can control it better.

Drugs kill people, end of story. Killing eople is not a nice thing to do, so cut the carp.

Old-fashioned view? Childish maybe? Ah, might as well be, but people offing themselves with these substances make me shiver...

IZ.
We're going to have to disagree on this, mate.
Personally, I hate to see people killing themselves with cigarettes and polluting my airspace.
Fact is, in its pure form, heroin is less harmful to the body than alcohol, but admittedly a hell of a lot more addictive, so it would need some very careful control indeed.
I'm a product of the world I live in, not of the world as I'd like it to be.
I'm on record in a number of places as stating I'd like to improve education, health care, employment prospects and narrow the gap between rich and poor in order that people will be far less inclined to fuck themselves up.
In the meantime, I see no point in criminalising people and therefore feeding them back into a self-destructive cycle.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Erudite wrote: I'm on record in a number of places as stating I'd like to improve education, health care, employment prospects and narrow the gap between rich and poor in order that people will be far less inclined to fuck themselves up.
Well this statement doesn't rhyme with legalisation of drugs IMO :|

I smoked for 16 years now, am clean for more that two years. Now I need to get off the alcohol. But as long as my government keeps promoting this most fearsome of legal drugs, it makes it a lot harder to quit.

And you would put in all the other hard-drugs there as well? Nah.

It will close some gaps, indeed. The gaps we have to dig for all the poor people now legally taking harddrugs.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Well this statement doesn't rhyme with legalisation of drugs IMO :|

Believing something should be legalised doesn't necessarily mean you are personally in favour of it.
While I see no harm in certain drugs being used recreationally, when it comes to substances such as heroin, crack and crystal meth, which are primarily, but not exclusively, used to escape lives of poverty, boredom and poor social prospects, rather than further marginalise such people by locking them up, I'd prefer to improve their prospects by actually integrating them into a fairer society. Prohibition doesn't work and with demand higher than ever, the only part of the equation we can effect is demand.
I have thought about only legalising substances such as cannabis and MDMA, but then you still have a black market for other drugs and all that entails. Ultimately, it has to be an all or nothing option.
At least this way you could set an age limit of 21 and stringently enforce it.
Attitudes change over years, if not generations. The system at present is an unmitigated failure that needs to change.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

now seriously you believe that if in any legal act will be say "only for people above 21 years old" it will works ? take a look at the clubs, streets and see all this drunken teenagers.
i'm not sure that even if drugs will be legal i will erase the problem of black market of (ex. of black market of alcohol, cigarettes, medications).
if they will be of the legal market they will and in the light of human greed it will be look like that - there will be some of registered traders, makers but . a bit wider look at this problem leads me only to new clerks, civil servants and so and new incomes for country.
btw. i can't imagine how huge should be tax/charge to make it sensible to hospitalized all addicted and sick people.

on the other hand war on drugs is pointless. :?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The war on some drugs should be more accurately named.

Like the war on some terrorism.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote: Like the war on some terrorism.
As opposed to the crusade against whatever we're villifying this week.
Silver_Owl
The Don

To quote Bill Hicks....
I just cannot, you know, believe in a war against drugs when they've got anti-drug commercials on TV all day long, followed by, "This Bud's for you."
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hom_Corleone wrote:To quote Bill Hicks....
I just cannot, you know, believe in a war against drugs when they've got anti-drug commercials on TV all day long, followed by, "This Bud's for you."
Well, yeah.
It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, is what it is.
Anyway, we did the drugs thread a couple of weeks ago. Can we change the subject back to random and controversial?

Ta.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
czuczu
Overbomber

Well done Preston!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

czuczu wrote:Well done Preston!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Enjoy it. DVD out soon..?
Four strings good, six strings bad
czuczu
Overbomber

Neither Preston nor Spurs fan :lol: