The origins of Goth?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Francis
Overbomber

Siouxsie? Rocky Horror? Hammer Horror? Alice Cooper? Pistols? Were they they really just taking the p*ss?
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
numan
Road Kill

There is a special edition of UNCUT magazine devoted to goth culture and it was well said there about goth culture origins...I can't remember exactly but something like ..." bauhaus offered esthetic of goth culture, Siouxie delivered visuality and Sisters were the voice of goth music"..
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The Velvets and the Stooges?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

It all started with Bela Lugosi, I'm sure.

Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Really, it started from a throw away remark from Tony Wilson in regard to Joy Division. He mentioned that they were gothic rock or something similar. There were people who looking backwards would've fitted into catagories defined later. UK Decay etc would've claimed I supposed to be gothic but generally at the time that would've been termed post-punk. Generally it was a term re-used by lazy journos (not including Mr Wilson) from the NME etc...
The Chancer Corporation
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I think Weebs has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Although the first "cyber goth" is without a doubt this bloke...

Right down to his big red glowstick.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
jande
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Maisey wrote:I think Weebs has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Although the first "cyber goth" is without a doubt this bloke...

Right down to his big red glowstick.
Fnarr fnarr, guffaw guffaw

sorry couldn't resist :lol:
Say!
In the dark? Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?
BaroqueHyena
Road Kill

Aazhyd wrote:It all started with Bela Lugosi, I'm sure.

Or Theda Bara:
sam1

This man, may of had something to do with it....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_ ... he_Savages
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I thought the first Goth band were "Doctors of Madness"
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Silver_Owl
The Don

What about Lovecraft?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

It's not the origin of sh*t fiction mate :wink:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

Well it really depends on what kind of Goth. There is the original Visigoths who were germanic tribes but I don't think they wore fishnets and capes, then there is gothic architecture, then we can go with gothic literature which began (some would argue) with Horace Walpole's The Castle of Ortranto, Lovecraft, althought a gothic literature god was predated by centuries of Gothic Literature Like Walpole, Shelley and Bronte among others. Lovecraft took his cues from Poe and M.R, James mostly. Early gothic lit consists of the medieval gothic like Baring Gould which was late medieval rather. Gothic Culture, presently carries that trend of the subliminal and takes cues from the different styles of goth. mind you not all gothic themes are about ghosts and blackness and such. there are many different variations of Goth and some that don't seem goth yet can be influenced by goth itself. Music goths are part of that whole history in some ways but stand alone by means of music. It tends to focus on that dark subliminal edge and actually does imbue itself within our fears of things that go bump in the night or even madness itself. Were the origin of Goth Music can be traced back to having roots as far as Gregorian chants, German opera and orchestra, and perhaps even Johnny Cash. Most likely there will be roots in blues as much blues deals itself within the emotions and psychological realizations of the black peoples and there past struggles with slavery and all. We, not being black or slaves can only imagine that sublimity by what we read and view but when you listen to deep southern american blues that , gothic, dark, subliminalism is completely present. I only add blues because it is the rrot of Rock n Roll but if you hear you'lll feel the pains and fears of those who experience their lyrics. I could go on but this is a nutshell...can I get an Amen?
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
Pista
Cureboi

I always thought they were that bunch that dondered into Rome one day (after getting a bit curious (or p!ssed off at being used for menial stuff), took a look around & then fcuked off again.
Wasn't that the Goths?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

Pretty Much, germanic Tribes that were enemies of the Roman Empire and others as well. They stretched for a long time but I'm no historian just remember University History too much....
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Gothic was reintroduced into popular consciousness by Vasari who decried Northern European architecture. It was a term of insult much to :von: 's amusement I suspect. ;D
The Chancer Corporation
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

10-E Rabid wrote:Pretty Much, germanic Tribes that were enemies of the Roman Empire and others as well. They stretched for a long time but I'm no historian just remember University History too much....
They were not really attacking Rome, in fact they were driven that way by those small men with the pretty curved blades, long thin shiny moustachos and tiny horses ;D

So if you were squeezed between a comfy city with walls and a whole horde of yelling savages riding at you with curved swords, I might be tempted to knock at the door of said city and get the feck in there ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Sita

It's just a term that has been randomly thrown at completely different things in time and space that have no connection at all.

And as abridged said, when the ole' spaghetti :lol: used it (erroneously) to describe northern European art, it was meant as an insult in the sense of "uncivilized".

I heard that it's still a derogatory term on the Canary Islands for the Spanish. Because the Goths, the real people, basically founded Spain.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

The answer lies where it always does...in LEEDS
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I think you'll find it started here
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

cats_n_cheese
Road Kill

weebleswobble wrote:Image
Lol, right down to the leather and horns ;-)
Btw, is it just me or does Nick Cave with droopy 'tache look like one of those guys in the Asterix comics?!
Cheese :-D