Mary Gentle

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

...is a writer I saw mentioned in a text that also referenced Pratchett and Gaiman - two of my favourite authors.

Does anyone know anything about her?
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I have "Grunts" at home from her hand, it is very witty and can indeed be of interest for Pratchett and Gaiman fans.

Never let anyone tell you Tom Holt is the new Pratchett tho :urff:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I've seen the wiki page, I'm more interested in first hand views. Thanks all the same Bartek :)

So "Grunts" is a decent place to start then?
Izzy HaveMercy

Maisey wrote:I've seen the wiki page, I'm more interested in first hand views. Thanks all the same Bartek :)

So "Grunts" is a decent place to start then?
It is the only one I have so, yes ;)

IZ.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I'm a big fan of her earlier work.

Golden Witchbreed and Ancient Light are excellent, intelligent, science fiction, and have been personal favourites of mine for years.

The 'White Crow' series (Rats and Gargoyles, The Architecture of Desire, and Left to His Own Devices.) is also very good and I'd recommend them highly.

However I haven't really enjoyed her later novels. I crawled through Ash: A Secret History and managed to finish it, but was underwhelmed by the story. I tried reading 1610: A Sundial in a Grave but gave up.

I suspect Neil Gaiman would have referenced the 'White Crow' series - there's a similarity in atmosphere that I can imagine Gaiman enjoying.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

"Grunts!" was all they had in Waterstones. I'm about half way through and it is making for an enjoyable read. Has the feel of Games Workshop circa mid 90s though.

Will investigate LazCorps recommendations though :)
Izzy HaveMercy

Maisey wrote:"Grunts!" was all they had in Waterstones. I'm about half way through and it is making for an enjoyable read. Has the feel of Games Workshop circa mid 90s though.

Will investigate LazCorps recommendations though :)
Spot on! :lol:

I also read this one in my Forgotten Realms (TM) roleplaying era, and it made me laff out loud. Our party in that time would have been perfect for the sequel! :lol:

IZ.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Orcball owes more than a little bit to Bloodbowl methinks :)
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Don't expect any of her books I recommended to bear any similarity to Grunts - they're completely different.
Izzy HaveMercy

Maisey wrote:Orcball owes more than a little bit to Bloodbowl methinks :)
True that... I remember that game... more specifically, the Orc Cheerleader Team! ;D

IZ.