Ooh! Pointless nostalgia

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

Which is the bestest 80s movie?

Beverley Hills Cop
11%
the Goonies
No votes
Short Circuit
No votes
Ghostbusters
7%
Wierd Science
7%
Labyrinth
4%
the Breakfast Club
37%
Teen Wolf
No votes
Back to the Future
7%
Ferris Bueller's day off (hint: this is the best one)
26%

Total votes: 27
cocoamix
Amphetamine Filth

I find it hard to believe that a certain John Hughes movie that had the March Violets in it was not on the list.
James Blast
Banned

I'm just shocked that Caddy Shack the original '80s Goofball Comedy' wasn't on the list.
Sinny's list threw up some gooduns -
Weekend at Bernie's
The Lost Boys
Legend
Lethal Weapon
River's Edge

It's about time I saw River's Edge again.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

MrChris wrote:I voted for the Breakfast Club because I am sad. Oh, so did the rest of you. Heh.

I used to have a huge poster for that film in my student room. Unfortunately, it was in Italian. It read (something like) 'Sincontrarono una sola volta ma la loro vita cambio per siempre'. Which I read as 'they broke a single rule, but their lives were changed forever'. Does anyone here speak Italian?
i do. and thats about right
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Angelchild
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Red Sunsets wrote:I'm just shocked that Caddy Shack the original '80s Goofball Comedy' wasn't on the list.
Weekend at Bernie's
The Lost Boys
Legend
Lethal Weapon
River's Edge

Oh lord,been a long time since anyone mentioned River's Edge,a class film indeed. Keanu when he was a dot if I remember rightly and Uncle Dennis (Hopper) in it as well. Blimey BB :) Nostalgia indeed!
Ps Good call on Sinny's list too.
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"
James Blast
Banned

River's Edge featuring Dennis Hopper as Dennis Hopper! hehehehehe

aye it's a class movie I would love to see again Angel
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

Red Sunsets wrote:I'm just shocked that Caddy Shack the original '80s Goofball Comedy' wasn't on the list.
Weekend at Bernie's
The Lost Boys
Legend
Lethal Weapon
River's Edge

AAARGH! Will you people please stop complaining that certain films weren't included!
I had to pick TEN options, not THIRTY-FIVE. So I picked the ten films that I FELT were the most 80est of all 80s films.
IT'S REALLY VERY SIMPLE.
Gazza for England manager
James Blast
Banned

Calm Down! Calm Down La!
~ Peter Steele
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Nice new avatar Barman Blast. And to finish your sentiment...

*Heaven*

:)
BP
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Damn I love my new avatar...He's gonna be the death of me yet...*sigh*
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

cocoamix wrote:I find it hard to believe that a certain John Hughes movie that had the March Violets in it was not on the list.
i thought that too ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Black Shuck
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

Quiff Boy wrote:
cocoamix wrote:I find it hard to believe that a certain John Hughes movie that had the March Violets in it was not on the list.
i thought that too ;)
AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh
Don't make me get ALF to teach you all some respect!
Gazza for England manager
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i'm sure ALF was the prototype for the bear in the big blue house ;) :von: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:
MrChris wrote:I voted for the Breakfast Club because I am sad. Oh, so did the rest of you. Heh.

I used to have a huge poster for that film in my student room. Unfortunately, it was in Italian. It read (something like) 'Sincontrarono una sola volta ma la loro vita cambio per siempre'. Which I read as 'they broke a single rule, but their lives were changed forever'. Does anyone here speak Italian?

Wow, an online translation service that works! Can I get you to translate some dodgy Latin poetry for me? There's a lot of it about, you know. Anyone ever read catullus?
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

MrChris wrote:
Wow, an online translation service that works! Can I get you to translate some dodgy Latin poetry for me? There's a lot of it about, you know. Anyone ever read catullus?
Yes I have read Catallus. He was in love with Clodia, the sister of Clodius who was murdered on the Appian Way by Milo. It was rumored that Clodia and Clodius were lovers. :urff: She was very famous for wearing see through gowns in public. :eek: But to the point, his poems were about Clodia.

You ought to read Ovid. He was sent into exile for his poetry by Augustus.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

MrChris wrote:
emilystrange wrote:

no, but i feel i should now! had to do Ovid Metamorpheses instead.
send it over on msn i'll see what i can do.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Black Planet wrote:Damn I love my new avatar...He's gonna be the death of me yet...*sigh*
he's not blonde, but..... :eek:
moonchild

MrChris wrote: 'Sincontrarono una sola volta ma la loro vita cambio per siempre'. Which I read as 'they broke a single rule, but their lives were changed forever'. Does anyone here speak Italian?

Well i speak italian and i must say that i don't agree with that translation... sorry... what i read here is " They had meet just one time, but their lives changed forever"

Kisses
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i didnt say i was perfect at it. and i was very tired!
moonchild

emilystrange wrote:i didnt say i was perfect at it. and i was very tired!
But sweet.. i didn't mention nothing about it...i was talking about the translation in the internet.
And it's very nice that you know italian... it's a beautiful language and very sensual...

huge kisses
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Well, I don't know what to think now. Moonchild, I think your translation makes sense in terms of the film, and I'm sure you're right. For all these years, I've been labouring under an illusion. Well, what's new?
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Lynchfanatic
Fire Walking Owl

:eek: I cant belive this, no one voted for The Labyrinth :!: :?:
Come on people... I have this on dvd, and I'll watch it over and over. Its a classic. I love it. And ofcourse Goonies needs a vote, but if I have to choose only one, it would have to be Labyrinth. That is the best of those, but as in 80's classic, its hard to choose :wink:
myspace.com/lynchfanatic
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

My £0.02:

For me the "ultimate 80's movie" has to be The Hunger. A complete victory of style over substance :D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Big Si
School Bully

Lynchfanatic wrote::eek: I cant belive this, no one voted for The Labyrinth :!: :?:
Come on people... I have this on dvd, and I'll watch it over and over. Its a classic. I love it. And ofcourse Goonies needs a vote, but if I have to choose only one, it would have to be Labyrinth. That is the best of those, but as in 80's classic, its hard to choose :wink:
Aye it's a great movie, but The Breakfast Club is the 80's movie!
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis