The Beastie Boys

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Where do I start? I've dance to Fight For Your Right and Intergalactic enough times. Which LP should I look at first?
Nationalise the f**king lot.
sultan2075
Overbomber

It depends on what you're looking for. The real early stuff, re-released on the Some Old Bullshit EP, is mostly straight hardcore punk. Licensed to Ill is their least 'mature' record (and I have every word memorized!). If you've any interest in the art of sampling, Paul's Boutique is a must-hear album. If your more interested in their material from the last 15 years or so, I'd suggest Check Your Head which is a very good album. It's hard to recommend just one.

That being said... I'd say start with Paul's Boutique, which is something of a transitional record for them. And, in terms of sampling, it's probably not the sort of record that could be made today.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Just suggestion but IMO start off with either Licensed To Ill or Hello Nasty.
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
czuczu
Overbomber

Paul's Boutique & Check Your Head are what you're looking for - brilliant albums :notworthy:
Silver_Owl
The Don

czuczu wrote:Paul's Boutique & Check Your Head are what you're looking for - brilliant albums :notworthy:
Ill Communication is my favourite. If you're after a punkier vibe this is the one to go for, mixed in with some innovative samples and mellow vibes.
Pauls Boutique is their defining album though.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:Ill Communication is my favourite.
:D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

because of Sabotage, if not anything else ;D
Silver_Owl
The Don

LouLou wrote:

Correct. :D

The video ain't bad either.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
culprit

I would go for licensed to ill and ill communication, pauls boutiqe didn't do it for me.

Like sultan said, it depends what you're after. I love the cutting-edge freshness of LTI, but also the retro style of IC.

Give them a spotify and see which era you like!
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
radiojamaica
Overbomber

So what have we learned today? All BB albums are top notch ;D :notworthy:

My favourite is Check Your Head, but Ill Communication or Paul's Boutique are easily as good!
in dub we trust
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

sultan2075 wrote: Licensed to Ill is their least 'mature' record (and I have every word memorized!).
Oh, yes 8)
avaritia
Road Kill

Hom_Corleone wrote:
LouLou wrote:

Correct. :D

The video ain't bad either.
I agree, that is a brilliant track.
I used to love dancing to it in clubs.
Mothra

This one is really comprehensive if you don't mind compilations. And dirt cheap in the Amazon New & Used section:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sounds-Science- ... 606&sr=8-5