84/85

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

I am sure this has been discussed to death but.....why are there such good recordings of 84/85 shows?

Also, why doesn't :von: sell discs of the shows akin to Metallica, Pearl Jam, etc?
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

I think the recording gear back than wasn't that bad at all - some tapes may sound worser than other because they are degenerated during generation copies or poor storage conditions.
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

DocSommer wrote:I think the recording gear back than wasn't that bad at all - some tapes may sound worser than other because they are degenerated during generation copies or poor storage conditions.
I get that but recently many of the boots don't hold a candle to those early tapes. Just wondering
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

A direct comparison is hardly possible because the band is playing a totally different sound today - some might even say it sounds less good/tight/audible/whatever compared to the 90s or 80s sound era.

If you use state of the art gear and a time machine to record a gig in the 80s I'm shure you will like the result.
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

DocSommer wrote:A direct comparison is hardly possible because the band is playing a totally different sound today - some might even say it sounds less good/tight/audible/whatever compared to the 90s or 80s sound era.

If you use state of the art gear and a time machine to record a gig in the 80s I'm shure you will like the result.
Good point doc, the livwe sound now does tend to erm suck?
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Well it definetly tends to sound different ;)

If you say they suck these days then I must say they sucked back then as well because they never delivered a technically perfect gig. If you expect a live sound close to album recordings ypu'll probably have to look for other artists.

I think a sisters gig can provide everything from pain to gain. I left gigs telling myself "wow, this sucked" as well as I've seen gigs I really liked so I'm definetly (Edit: NOT) that kind of fanboy who doesn't care what happen on stage because I got drunk before the show started (to avoid realizing it might be a s**t performance).
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

DocSommer wrote:Well it definetly tends to sound different ;)

If you say they suck these days then I must say they sucked back then as well because they never delivered a technically perfect gig. If you expect a live sound close to album recordings ypu'll probably have to look for other artists.

I think a sisters gig can provide everything from pain to gain. I left gigs telling myself "wow, this sucked" as well as I've seen gigs I really liked so I'm definetly that kind fanboy who doesn't care what happen on stage because I got drunk before the show started (to avoid realizing it might be a s**t performance).
I am talking about the sound in general. I actually like it when :von: or the band screws up, he always has a great comment :lol:
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Ok then, well I like the recent sound in general. I think a problem is that the sound is often quite too boomy for most room acoustic situations. This is always - more or less - a problem during concerts but I think the sisters are struggeling with that issue more than other acts. If you check out different positions during a show you'll notice many spots where you can't hear much more than humming bass sounds. If these "bad sounds" areas occupies maybe 30% of the venues audience capacity you will see many really disappointed visitors, especially during "sold out" conditions where people can't really move to different spots.

There's also a tendency noticeable that the feedback after "open air" events is better compared to club gigs. I think the answere is that you have usually less "room acoustics" issues in this situation plus more headroom for turning up the vocals.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

It was the era of Sisters soundboard recordings AFAIK.
"as we walk on the floodland"
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Ozpat wrote:It was the era of Sisters soundboard recordings AFAIK.
That makes sense, bring them back!
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

I still want to know why :von: isn't selling recording of the shows like Metallica etc?

We will never get a studio album, so.............................
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Because :von: is an ornery git who likes to p*ss off his fanbase? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

markfiend wrote:Because :von: is an ornery git who likes to p*ss off his fanbase? :lol:
I forgot about that :lol:
n'Emolicia
Amphetamine Filth

We love him anyway.
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

n'Emolicia wrote:We love him anyway.
Hmm my contempt is giving way to chronic indifference! :lol:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

BillyBadBreaks wrote:I still want to know why :von: isn't selling recording of the shows like Metallica etc?

... because they are all bootlegged, anyway? ... :roll: ...
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Being645 wrote:
BillyBadBreaks wrote:I still want to know why :von: isn't selling recording of the shows like Metallica etc?

what is a bootleg? :innocent:

I am just thinking quality wise
Being645
Wiki Wizard

an abstract painting, a snapshot, a draft ... :roll: ...

* which does not exclude quality per se
iesus
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:an abstract painting, a snapshot, a draft ... :roll: ...

* which does not exclude quality per se
yes, that exactly is
variations of paintings in the same theme
none can play a song exactly the same two times, like the paintings...
none can paint exactly the same painting twice...
every time we hear a live played song it is slightly different from all the others before ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

referring to the topics starting point it is really "interesting", how different recordings qualitywise can sound these days. even some of state of art equipement which people in here use sounds exremely steril and clean, as the equipement absorbes parts of the signal identifying it as noise or whatever. they sound digital. people use very small mics, which also affects the recording.

listening to even perfect recordings of gigs i have been to shows the difference between a recording and actually being there, which is a basic issue. the best recording sometimes does not feature what you expierience (and actiually hear) at a gig.

but i agree, many of the 85 recordings do sound fantastic, but this is due to the fact that some of them really were fantastic, and craigs bass was an audible monster
love is just a shot away
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Being645 wrote:

Aye! :|
"as we walk on the floodland"
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

listening to even perfect recordings of gigs i have been to shows the difference between a recording and actually being there, which is a basic issue. the best recording sometimes does not feature what you expierience (and actiually hear) at a gig.
I occasionally experienced this vice versa, means the recordings sounds way better than I would have expected it, especially after shows I didn't liked (soundwise). Cardoid mics tends to supress most of the room acoustic influences (compared to binaural mics or the human ear) - that's a pro in most cases but also a matter of taste of course. Other tapers prefer using binaural mics in general to gain a more "boomy" sound.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

DocSommer wrote:
I occasionally experienced this vice versa, means the recordings sounds way better than I would have expected it, especially after shows I didn't liked (soundwise). Cardoid mics tends to supress most of the room acoustic influences (compared to binaural mics or the human ear) - that's a pro in most cases but also a matter of taste of course. Other tapers prefer using binaural mics in general to gain a more "boomy" sound.
the types of mics used are a big point of course. and as you have noted, the relations between a gig and its recording(s) exist in all variations. its always funny to recognise (the recording of) a certain gig only by its special soundcharacteristics, like the sound of a snaredrum for example.
love is just a shot away
Cyberbio
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

A very common mic in those days was this one:

clicky

Aachen 85 was taped with that one... ;-)[/url]
2023: Athen, London, London, Amsterdam, Utrecht, Münster, Esch-Sur-Alzette, Hannover, Hamburg, Berlin, Leipzig, Köln, Wiesbaden, Würzburg, Stuttgart, Wien
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I believe the reason is this:

In the early days, The Sisters did not bring their own audio engineer to the venue. The band was mixed by the "in-house" mixer, who could be bought off easily (especially, it seems, in Amsterdam) for a few beers by a dude wanting to run a direct line into his tape recorder from the mixing desk stereo-output jack. I know for a fact that this is how the Melkweg show was recorded.

Nice to see you all again.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck