How many did tracks The Hussler tax?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
reverberater
Amphetamine Filth

Just got broadband installed and i've been having a field day lookin at the available tracks on various sites and i couldn't believe the sisters did 'Garden of delight'!

Well, i got it but i don't think it was a good copy coz his voice was awful on it.

I knew he ripped 1969 but i'd no idea how much the sisters had in their catalogue that i didn't know.

Was Serpant's Kiss in the Sisters never released "m*****n Impossible" lp? I thought i was pretty clued up at the time..................how wrong i was
Guided by the light and by the catholic monochrome
reverberater
Amphetamine Filth

;D Quiffster! You've even put the stars in on Husstlers group too! :lol: :lol: :lol:

U FECKIN RULE!!!! :lol:
James Blast
Banned

We all have to start somewhere, welcome to the Matrix, Reverberter 8)
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

So , yet another thing you're not clued up about then eh ! :lol:
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Fine thing a wide interweb.

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Serpents Kiss was never record for the tSoM. However, Craig and Wayne demo'd their material while still under the WEA contract. When it was clear that WEA wasn't interested in releasing it, the manager grabbed the tapes and released them through Chapter 22. Eldritch by that stage was well under way with his Sisterhood project. While Craig and Wayne got a good bit of publicity by using the name, Andrew got the publishing deal that was tied around the WEA contract. In the end it worked out worst for Andrew IMHO. Yes, he got the dosh and the name, but also a cr*p contract with WEA that took him a while to break open. Wayne and Craig signed a 7 album deal for approx. 1 million with Phonogram which they fulfillled while having a serious amount of fun in the meantime.
mh
Above the Chemist

Didn't the Sisters do an instrumental demo? There was Garden of Delight alright (two versions, with W***e and Von singing), and a version of Black Planet with W***e singing various lyrics that sound like they were made up on the spot, but subsequently ended up in a number of M*****n "songs".
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

There is an instrumental demo which probably originates from the Slaughterhouse studio sessions. It has no vocals as Wayne and Craig hadn't decided yet who would sing on it. WEA actually suggested a number of vocalist - among them Peter Burns. There is also a version of Black Planet which has Dance on Glass lyrics sung over it by Wayne. He had already recorded a version of that song for a '81 Liverpool release. A re-recorded version of that appeared on 'God's OWn Medicine'.
khepri II
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Karst wrote:Serpents Kiss was never record for the tSoM. However, Craig and Wayne demo'd their material while still under the WEA contract. When it was clear that WEA wasn't interested in releasing it, the manager grabbed the tapes and released them through Chapter 22. Eldritch by that stage was well under way with his Sisterhood project. While Craig and Wayne got a good bit of publicity by using the name, Andrew got the publishing deal that was tied around the WEA contract. In the end it worked out worst for Andrew IMHO. Yes, he got the dosh and the name, but also a cr*p contract with WEA that took him a while to break open. Wayne and Craig signed a 7 album deal for approx. 1 million with Phonogram which they fulfillled while having a serious amount of fun in the meantime.
.......was converting the last ever Sisterhood show last night. Halfway through, he says "by the way we're not called the Sisterhood any more. We're now called The m*****n"
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

There were actually three gigs in the UK that were billed as such.

27th of February - Electric Ballroom
1st of March - Leeds University
2nd of March - Birmingham Powerhouse

Eldritch got the Leeds gig cancelled.

:cool:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

what material were they touring with as the sisterhood? sisters/falaa stuff? or pre-mish demos/1st chapter stuff?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

While Craig and Wayne got a good bit of publicity by using the name, Andrew got the publishing deal that was tied around the WEA contract. In the end it worked out worst for Andrew IMHO. Yes, he got the dosh and the name, but also a cr*p contract with WEA that took him a while to break open. Wayne and Craig signed a 7 album deal for approx. 1 million with Phonogram which they fulfillled while having a serious amount of fun in the meantime.[/quote]

You know what? That had honestly never crossed my mind :eek: . And you know what else? I think you're right! :notworthy:

I always swallowed the party line that Eldo was the winner, and that the 2-5-0-0-0 was a huge one over on the Mish. You have changed the way I think about all of this today. :notworthy: Maybe that skinny pale guy :von: is not as clever as he would have us think. Ta, anyway.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

I have a boot of the Electric Ballroom gig - no Sisters material was played, but they did play the early Mish stuff like Garden Of Delight, Serpents Kiss, Sacriledge, Wasteland, And The Dance Goes On, Bridges Burning etc along with covers of Like A Hurricane, 1969 (I think) and Wishing Well.
The Scene won't save you...
Karst
Slight Overbomber

No tracks from any release of their previous employer, however, Shelter from the Storm does have a 'Marian" segment. And '1969' was obviously features in the Sisters setlists. Not that there wasn't any calls for 'Temple of Love'.

27-02-’86
Camden Electric Ballroom, London

Intro/Wasteland/And Dance Goes On/Garden of Delight/Like a Hurricane/Severina/ Serpents Kiss/Stay With Me/1969/Bridges Burning/Sacrilege/Wishing Well/Shelter from the Storm*
* feat. Ian Astbury & Billy Duffy
mh
Above the Chemist

While W***e and Craig may have come out better financially, Von has his credibility and is even - whisper it - more respected in the industry. Sales and spondoolix do not maketh the band.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Errr, respected in the industry before or after he staged a very lengthy strike from his record label? I agree that he has oodles more artistic credibility, but he had that anyway, regardless. I really don't know if he would win any polls of 'artists record company executives would most like to work with', though, and I suspect this may be contributing to his current problems...
Chris

mh
Above the Chemist

Aww, I don't mean among record companies. An example - have a look at Q's top 1001 songs special, they're in there among the "80s top 10".
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Heee, I see the bright light of reason shining into my dusty skull. Agreed, then. But I do still think that the WEA debacle did nothing to help that respect from fellow artists, and not releasing anything for a long time didn't help either. So perhaps he still would have been better off in the m*****n's Polydor shoes?
Chris

Karst
Slight Overbomber

Suppose it really depends on your point of view. Of course The Sisters of Mercy as a brand is very recognisable with a long standing reputation. The latter is obviously a little fraught. Not in the least due to the conflicting g*th tag. Wayne's perspective has always been different on that. He readily admits that that is part of his past and that his lyrical talents are somewhat limited. In the end Wayne wanted to be a popstar while Andrew wanted the credit he desrved. There probably is an argument that neither got what they were really after due to various reasons.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Aye, 'spect so.
Chris

Big Si
School Bully

Karst wrote:There is an instrumental demo which probably originates from the Slaughterhouse studio sessions. It has no vocals as Wayne and Craig hadn't decided yet who would sing on it. WEA actually suggested a number of vocalist - among them Peter Burns. There is also a version of Black Planet which has Dance on Glass lyrics sung over it by Wayne. He had already recorded a version of that song for a '81 Liverpool release. A re-recorded version of that appeared on 'God's OWn Medicine'.
For anyone that's interested, W***e's guitar riff on Wasteland is the same as Craig's Bass line on Marian! :innocent:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
pikkrong
Overbomber

Magazine "Side-Line" #30 January / February / March 2000

An interview with That Guitarist (after releasing The m*****n's compilation "Resurrection").

Question: "On the new version of "Wasteland", why the joke of "Marianne" (not my misprint - pikkrong)? (The re-vamped version of "Wasteland" contains bits form this Sisters of Mercy classic tune)"

Answer: "Why not? Who gives a s**t if Andrew is going to be pissed off, if he doesn't have any sense of humour left, that's his problem. It's meant to be funny, you know. I wrote the music for both "Marianne" (again - pikkrong ;D ) and "Wasteland" and they are quite similar songs when you listen to them. It's just a little joke. Okay, Andrew didn't like the idea of the Sisterhood either, but who gives a s**t!" (laughs)
do i drive
or am i driven
reverberater
Amphetamine Filth

Interesting reading guy's :notworthy:
Big Si
School Bully

Karst wrote:Serpents Kiss was never record for the tSoM. However, Craig and Wayne demo'd their material while still under the WEA contract. When it was clear that WEA wasn't interested in releasing it, the manager grabbed the tapes and released them through Chapter 22. Eldritch by that stage was well under way with his Sisterhood project. While Craig and Wayne got a good bit of publicity by using the name, Andrew got the publishing deal that was tied around the WEA contract. In the end it worked out worst for Andrew IMHO. Yes, he got the dosh and the name, but also a cr*p contract with WEA that took him a while to break open. Wayne and Craig signed a 7 album deal for approx. 1 million with Phonogram which they fulfillled while having a serious amount of fun in the meantime.
But what about the "Victims of Circumstance" tape that appeared in 1984? Was it only later copies that featured the instrumental of "Serpent's Kiss"? Andrew "Heartland Anthologies" Pinnel mentions it in his review! Does anyone have an original 1984 tape with it featured :?: :?
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Angelchild
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

And the end of "Into The Blue" being lifted from the end of "Walk Away"?
Very similar indeed!
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"