Black Sabbath (plus Iommi & Hughes)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Picking up where this http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 911#546911 leaves off.

JB did you know that there's two additional Iommi/Hughes collaboration albums out there? Namely these two: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1996_DEP_Sessions & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fused_%28T ... i_album%29

I've not heard either, despite being a huge fan of Seventh Star (which has just been reissued with a bonus disc of a show with Ray Gillen on vocals) - I'll no doubt get round to picking them up one day, but after the triple disappointment of Dehumaizer, Forbidden & Cross Purposes (I'm not sure we got round to talking about that one yesterday), I concentrated more on the back catalogue again.

There's rumblings that the original 4 are going to reconvene next year, a lot of "never say nevers" being muttered and with Dio sadly departed Iommi & Butler seem a bit directionless at present. Ozzy's recent tour brought back some early Sabbath songs that haven't been aired since the 70s, so here's hoping that there might be a tour in the offing. I'm not so sure about a new album, the two songs they did at the time of the initial reunion weren't so great, and if I'm honest, I haven't really dug anything Iommi's written in the last 20 years ... has it really been that long :(
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I don't mind a bit of Sabbath now and then but to be frank I only really ever listen to the stuff from when Ozzy was still in the band (the first time round, natch :lol:)

Irrelevant to the topic really, but when have I ever let that stop me? ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

By sheer coincidence, I'm wearing a Sabbath T-shirt to work today :notworthy:
Four strings good, six strings bad
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Norman Hunter wrote:By sheer coincidence, I'm wearing a Sabbath T-shirt to work today :notworthy:
is it black?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

And was your lunch rather Iommy? :D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

@ weebles - naturally.

@ IZ - no dinner at work today, early finish for the weekend! :D
Four strings good, six strings bad
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

You lucky geezer! :D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

William Shatner sings ... Black Sabbath????

Beam Me Up
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:And was your lunch rather Iommy? :D

IZ.
Absolute class. :notworthy: :notworthy:

I doff my cap sir!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
James Blast
Banned

Thanks again Mothra your knowledge of ver' Sabbarf way outstrips mine. Not being controversial here but, my fave BS album is 'Born Again' I really find it heavy as fuck and I've allas dug Gillan's voice. Glen Hughes is another great singer and the stuff I've heard from his new band Black Country Communion is really excellent. Seventh Star is a much overlooked Sabs album. Greatest Sabs tune has to be 'Spiral Architect' offa 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' and once you get past the shocking cover on 'Sabotage' your in for a treat. 'Never Say Die's a bit flabby, it even has their very own "Hope you like our new direction - Jazz Odessey" in 'Breakout'. :lol:
From the Dio years 'Mob Rules' does it for me and the stuff I've heard from 'The Devil You Know' sounds pretty fab.
If you want a copy of the 'Born Again' sessions with tracks left off the album, let me know. It's excellent quality just not as polished as the actual album.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Mothra

James Blast wrote:Thanks again Mothra your knowledge of ver' Sabbarf way outstrips mine. Not being controversial here but, my fave BS album is 'Born Again' I really find it heavy as fuck and I've allas dug Gillan's voice. Glen Hughes is another great singer and the stuff I've heard from his new band Black Country Communion is really excellent. Seventh Star is a much overlooked Sabs album. Greatest Sabs tune has to be 'Spiral Architect' offa 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' and once you get past the shocking cover on 'Sabotage' your in for a treat. 'Never Say Die's a bit flabby, it even has their very own "Hope you like our new direction - Jazz Odessey" in 'Breakout'. :lol:
From the Dio years 'Mob Rules' does it for me and the stuff I've heard from 'The Devil You Know' sounds pretty fab.
If you want a copy of the 'Born Again' sessions with tracks left off the album, let me know. It's excellent quality just not as polished as the actual album.
Thanks JB but I also have them. Iommi is hard at work on an ultimate mix of Born Again, so you should be in for a treat sometime this year. Its been repeatedly delayed as the common consensus is that there is a great album buried behind a terrible mix & they are trying to get it right. Gillan's been pretty outspoken about how much he loved the album that he heard, but the one that got released is an embarrassment to him. I don't really get it if I'm honest, though Zero the Hero is one of THE Iommi riffs.

I picked up this: http://www.google.co.uk/url?source=imgr ... ZtW6SpNtLA yesterday for £2 in the charity shop near my folks place - a nice bit of nostalgia as it was the first thing I ever bought by them right back in my early teens. This is mint condition vinyl. I also got a Stranglers live album & a Thin Lizzy compilation I'd not seen before for the same price. I always find it sad when someone who obviously has/had good taste in music and has really cared for their records reaches a decision to just part company with their collection.

Izzy Love it :)
Mothra

Ok, so I may know my Sabbath, but I'm fecked if I know how you insert a picture into a post.

BTW, this is a fan run site http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/, but it beats anything official the band have ever come up with. Joe who runs it comes across a bit pompous at times, but he clearly knows & loves what he's doing, and is on good terms with Dio, Butler & Iommi's management, and Bill Ward personally.
James Blast
Banned

that'll do it

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele