Serious for a change

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

*ahem* those that know me would say i couldn't either...
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

Belgium has a lot of short people too.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

???? i'm a true english small nutcase.
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

Well you could become Belgian easily enough. What have you got against the Belgians anyway? You can get good nuts there too.
Last edited by Clucking Belle on 02 Dec 2003, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

nothing but i'm not sure why you want me to be belgian... am very confused hon
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

Being Belgian isn't just a geographical thing. It's a state of mind, a positive lifestyle choice. As a famous (well, one of the ten) Belgian once said, I think, therefore I am Belgian. Everyone wants to be Belgian. Bin Laden only took up extreme terrorism as a reaction to failing the Belgian citizenship test on religious grounds (a simple process by which an oath is sworn to the Gods of the European Butter, Banana and Grain mountains- note Emily, no secondary school qualifications required).

So stuff the Midlands right up junction 18 of the M1, leave the Fens and its drowning spires (and UAE as well) to be flooded when old fridges and hair spray cans make the ice age cometh again, and come elope with me on a big white...sealink channel ferry....to Mechelen, a sunny little suburb of Brussels, where the air is clear (on days when the paint factory is shut) and the park* but an aerosol can's throw away.

Make sense now?

*industrial
khepri II
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Belle gin

might be more apt :roll:

Do I care? not a jot

Damn good film though. Chocolat
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Clucking Belle wrote:Being Belgian isn't just a geographical thing. It's a state of mind, a positive lifestyle choice. As a famous (well, one of the ten) Belgian once said, I think, therefore I am Belgian. Everyone wants to be Belgian. Bin Laden only took up extreme terrorism as a reaction to failing the Belgian citizenship test on religious grounds (a simple process by which an oath is sworn to the Gods of the European Butter, Banana and Grain mountains- note Emily, no secondary school qualifications required).

So stuff the Midlands right up junction 18 of the M1, leave the Fens and its drowning spires (and UAE as well) to be flooded when old fridges and hair spray cans make the ice age cometh again, and come elope with me on a big white...sealink channel ferry....to Mechelen, a sunny little suburb of Brussels, where the air is clear (on days when the paint factory is shut) and the park* but an aerosol can's throw away.

Make sense now?

*industrial
goodness me what an offer. i will confer with mr strange. Once i've finished sobbing when i get home he may well book my ticket....
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

I really do sympathise, Em. (can I call you 'Em'?)
the world has become obsessed with red tape and beurocracy.
it's absurd that you can't train to be a teacher till you have a crappy science GCSE. And Tony Blair cant understand why Britain has a teacher shortage!
Gazza for England manager
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i don't see why you can't call me em. we're all good friends here. and i don't think anyone has ever called me 'miss strange' at all...
Debaser
Overbomber

HHmmmnn...you do need to teach science at primary level Emily....

But that's by the by..

I had to go to an FE college to re-do Maths GCSE as when I took it in 1980 I didn't need one to pat ponies ...imagine my horror that after getting it then entering teacher training college they launched 'exit' tests on us! To specify you needed Maths Eng at O level (old money speak) then perhaps fail these final maths Eng and ICT tests in your last year was rather irksome (even saw me write to various bodies to state my disgust.)

Back to Science - yes I was supposed to have that one too but apparently my Food & Nutrition (ok ok cookery o level) was good enough.

I found my year at FE college retaking maths and doing an Access course the best way of re-educating myself (it was over %#(*&(*& years since I last studied)

Took me 5 years to qualify (4 years ITT plus the 1 year FE) but it was well worth it.

At least you didn't say 'And I only wanted to teach primary kids' I've given one or two people short shrift after hearing that one!! :D

Two weeks before Christmas does not find many teachers in the best frame of mind I'm afraid - send me a pm if you need any help.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Debaser
Overbomber

Black Shuck wrote:I really do sympathise, Em. (can I call you 'Em'?)
the world has become obsessed with red tape and beurocracy.
it's absurd that you can't train to be a teacher till you have a **** science GCSE. And Tony Blair cant understand why Britain has a teacher shortage!
Can you imagine the headlines ...... They are supposed to be educating our future and they haven't even got a basic standard of education themselves....

Doesn't the nation's future deserve educators who are of a certain standard?

EEEk now that sounds unsympathetic towards Emily's plight...FUK me I hate being a Libran

Britain has a teacher shortage because the job no longer is seen as a 'valuable' one. No child can ever be blamed it is ALWAYS the teacher's fault, the government thinks that by throwing 'golden handshakes' at recruits it's enough to persuade people to enter the profession (Nottinghamshire lost over 45% of new teachers (in their first 5 years) this year) main cause apparently work/life balance being crap, new initiatives being rushed through with little training or support. Cynics have said they took the 'golden handshake' and ran!

Emily, there's a new initiative to get Teaching Assistants to take a teaching qualification. TA's can do a one night a week college course and qualify to be a teacher in a year! Food for thought. There's also the GTTP (Graduate Teacher Training Programme) get a degree then you work in school to gain your QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) Oh and you also need to pass a very long test in acronym usage :roll: You would probably still need to have science though but you could do that part time...
Debaser
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:IF i do science gcse this year and get pass result in august i can ring them up and beg for a place. which makes me feel so like kicking them in the teeth.
I had to go through clearing too Emily, but I'm sure there will be a place for you. No need to beg.
Debaser
Overbomber

oooh look rogue comma usage - see having o'level English, a degree and QTS means nowt ;)

reminder to self...no comma needed if you're using 'but'
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

see? told you ness would know ;) :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debaser
Overbomber

Ness knows nowt I keep trying to tell you!

and hey, you missed an awesome experience at the Lowry last night
claws
Amphetamine Filth

Em. Don't you want to study science? I'm a math teacher so of course I think this is important! :)
We are coming down but we will never, never land
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

thanks everyone i needed your support yesterday.. i am doing the gtp app as well, it just hasn't been a good time lately and it was just the last straw, especially after the night before. much better today.
i dont mind doing science but its not supposed so be compulsory. i quite like it actually. its just the logistics... it'll work out.
thanks again.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

for those who remember this..
i've got a training course interview tomorrow.
i'm s****** myself.
i only found out on friday.
AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
everyone pray. if you havent already been instructed to.
sisxbeforedawn
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

don't let them get you down. You are better than them. I hate it when people are like that, they should encourage you not bring you down. Ba$tard$!!

I hope everything goes OK and you get to do what you obviously would love to do :D
I met a devil woman, she took my heart away
James Blast
Banned

Arra best Ems.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

dont worry. its not at the place that rejected me.
you've all done your bit by keeping me sane. strange though that might seem to some..
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

The very best of luck. I'm sure all our thoughts will be with you. Which means I'll be getting even less work done than usual.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

you can work till 2.30, then worry.
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Good luck!