Dear Heartland ...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Dear Heartland,

Throughout my working career I have come into contact with a number of PCs. I've never paid them much attention as my interests have always lain elsewhere. Until now.

On sunday a man delivered a new home PC. Reluctantly I decided to unpack and install it myself. Imagine my surprise when it was up and running in no time at all. The feeling of satisfaction plus the general feeling of dirtiness, after scrabbling around on the floor under a desk handling cables and fondling plugs was almost sensual.

Now I find myself draw to my PC at every opportunity. The urge to burn, mix and fade is too erotic to resist. It's shiney sleekness takes my breathe away. The urge to gently caress my mouse is overwhelming. This is having a detriemental effect on my home life.

My question is ...am I becoming a Geek?

Yours,
Worried from Peterborough

PS: Watch out for the 'JB Sisters Mixes' on ebay. Factory pressed, limited edition, fan club issue, number 1 out of 1, blah, blah, etc etc. On a bi-weekly basis. :innocent:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Join the club sunshine!!!!

Paddy :)
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Johnny Boy wrote:Dear Heartland,

Yours,

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I see you too have succombed. It's like the Invasion of the Body Snatchers. At one moment you are a normal human being going about your daily routine oblivious to those who have already been snatched. Then....suddenly you are trying to resist the calling, that thing that pulls you toward it....bitrate, cdex, nero, blank disks, Weeding....post counts etc.

Suddenly one day from out of nowhere, you're one of THEM.

As QB put it so succinctly, From Goth to Geek, in a matter of months.

:wink:

Well I think Andrew would be proud as he's King Geek himself. :von:
hallucienate
Overbomber

Dear John (I always wanted to start a letter with that)

I ordered a new MoBo (RAID, Serial ATA, Dual BIOS, Dual Channel DDR), a gig of RAM, AMD CPU as well as a new case and floppy drive for myself this morning. I ordered unassembled so it'd arrive here quicker, wanna come around and help me put it all together? We can drink Jolt cola and talk Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings.

I'll probably have to reinstall the OSes (Dual boot XP Pro and Linux Manrake 9.2). Should be loads of fun!
Loki

hallucienate wrote: I ordered a new MoBo (RAID, Serial ATA, Dual BIOS, Dual Channel DDR), a gig of RAM, AMD CPU as well as a new case and floppy drive for myself this morning.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
hallucienate wrote: I ordered unassembled so it'd arrive here quicker, wanna come around and help me put it all together?
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
hallucienate wrote:We can drink Jolt cola and talk Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings.
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
hallucienate wrote:I'll probably have to reinstall the OSes (Dual boot XP Pro and Linux Manrake 9.2).
:urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff:
hallucienate wrote:Should be loads of fun!
MONSTER GEEK! :notworthy: :wink:
hallucienate
Overbomber

Dear John

The hardware is here. You coming over?
Silver_Owl
The Don

hallucienate wrote:Dear John

The hardware is here. You coming over?
I'm sure Jeffrey Dahmer used a similar chat up line at some stage. :eek:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Loki

Dear Hal,

Love to but tonight I'm washing my hair. Numbers 86 and 117 to be precise.

Sincere apologises.
James Blast
Banned

On a Mac tip, at home I have a very lovely G4 Quicksilver 1 Gig Mhz, 768Mb RAM, 80 Gig HD, 17" AppleVision, external floppy and Zip, whilst at work I have a G5 1.8 Gig Mhz, 1.5 Gig RAM, 120 Gig HD, 23" Sony flat, plasma screen type, dead flat and thin thingies, 2 DVD burners, external floppy and Zip.
Can I join the club? I come complete with Flamin' Hot Monster Munch or Pickled Onion flave if the hot one's too racey :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Angelchild
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Johnny Boy wrote:Dear Heartland,

Throughout my working career I have come into contact with a number of PCs. I've never paid them much attention as my interests have always lain elsewhere. Until now.

On sunday a man delivered a new home PC. Reluctantly I decided to unpack and install it myself. Imagine my surprise when it was up and running in no time at all. The feeling of satisfaction plus the general feeling of dirtiness, after scrabbling around on the floor under a desk handling cables and fondling plugs was almost sensual.

Now I find myself draw to my PC at every opportunity. The urge to burn, mix and fade is too erotic to resist. It's shiney sleekness takes my breathe away. The urge to gently caress my mouse is overwhelming. This is having a detriemental effect on my home life.

Yours,

PS: Watch out for the 'JB Sisters Mixes' on ebay. Factory pressed, limited edition, fan club issue, number 1 out of 1, blah, blah, etc etc. On a bi-weekly basis. :innocent:
Dear Worried of Peterborough
Not not at all,this little dear here on my desk had the same affect on me when I first got it.From crappy Windows Me in a boring buff case with crappy specs to this all black & silver beast with 3 times better everything and nice XP.Yum :)
You only know your sad when you copy albums to the hardrive & it puts piccies of the covers in your documents folder and you get excited over that :roll:
Yours
Auntie Angel
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"
hallucienate
Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote: Flamin' Hot Monster Munch or Pickled Onion flave if the hot one's too racey :D
No Mac users. Form your own group. One with only one mouse button.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Meh. My Mac mouse has two buttons! Admittedly, they both do the same thing...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Meh. My Mac mouse has two buttons! Admittedly, they both do the same thing...
Heh, get a PC. My mouse has 5 buttons and a scrolly wheel. Or maybe it's a little to complicated for you? :twisted: :twisted:
24.24.2.489 Deceased
hallucienate
Overbomber

CellThree wrote:
markfiend wrote:Meh. My Mac mouse has two buttons! Admittedly, they both do the same thing...
Heh, get a PC. My mouse has 5 buttons and a scrolly wheel. Or maybe it's a little to complicated for you? :twisted: :twisted:
Agreed. Five is a good number of mouse buttons to have.
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

what the?! my mouse has 2- what do the others do then?
hallucienate
Overbomber

ryan_w_0000 wrote:what the?! my mouse has 2- what do the others do then?
Most mice you can assign functions to the extra buttons, such as copy, paste, open an explorer window, whatever you want really. but it depends on the software you get with the mice
Thea
Overbomber

my mouse only has 2 buttons too... i miss my scrolly wheely thingy :(
cocoamix
Amphetamine Filth

I use an eight button mouse on my Mac.

Button seven is programmed to toss out random insults.

You're a f**king idiot.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

@ cocoamix: :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

cocoamix wrote:I use an eight button mouse on my Mac.

Button seven is programmed to toss out random insults.

You're a **** idiot.
j

:eek: :eek:

Wow a mouse with Turret's Syndrome.

:notworthy: :notworthy:
cocoamix
Amphetamine Filth

Actually, it does have 8 buttons.

In addition, I CAN program it to generate random insults, simply by mapping a button to exectue a UNIX Shell script or an AppleScript that grabs a random line in a text file full of insults.

Also, it's spelled "Tourette's."

You f**king moron.

Yep, button 7 still works.
James Blast
Banned

<sniggers at last few posts> How long is it till we subside into 'may Dad's bigger than yours' territory?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

cocoamix, dear, you KILL me. LMAO!!! ;D :notworthy: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

hallucienate wrote:No Mac users. Form your own group. One with only one mouse button.
:eek: !@#$% you, Hal! My mouse has 2 functioning buttons *and* a fun scroll wheelie, so :P :P :P :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
mugabe
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

cocoamix wrote:Actually, it does have 8 buttons.

Also, it's spelled "Tourette's."
Well, judging from the look of it, "turret syndrome" is actually not too far off.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost