Best Sisters guitarists

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
DasPerltAber
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Pearson and Bruhn...playing twin guitar solos during Comfortably Numb......with Adrian Vandenberg as a special guest....playing a Peavey Vandy Custom/Quilt or Puzzle........ *sighs*
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Christo/Catalyst 2010. The best.
paul
Overbomber

centurionofprix wrote:Christo/Catalyst 2010. The best.
Check the other guitarsits first before you say something silly :lol: :wink:
centurionofprix

paul wrote:
centurionofprix wrote:Christo/Catalyst 2010. The best.
Check the other guitarsits first before you say something silly :lol: :wink:
Hahah. :lol: I think part of it depends on which songs you prefer, too, and what sound. The current lineup does a brilliant job on the ones I happen to like, although the dissatisfaction of the Logic people is understandable. Not entirely the guitarists fault though, and still better than the studio version...
unholyracket
Road Kill

Marx was the most important if not the best. Helped to influence the band more than any other guitarist. Without him there may have been no Sisters post the first few years... Hussey should have been great because musically he is spot on, if lyrically wayward.
damagedone

1.Pearson
2.Pearson
3.Pearson

He captured the soul and spirit of The Sisters,don't start me again on this one :D
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Marx - Hussey (

Marx - Gunn

My least favourite are definetely the Bruhn-Bricheno era , livewise that is of course, in the studio they were great.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

It's confusing just how cagey the Vision Thing guitarists / bassist are about how much they actually contributed to the album proper - are they worried Eldritch's lawers'll leap on 'em and tear their throats out, a la the rabbit from Holy Grail, if they inadvertently lay claim for a single lone note they didn't really... erm... pluck?

Also'd be nice if Pat M could also put it on the record exactly how much of her bass, was in our face, as it were... :)
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
crash_and_burn
Road Kill

I once saw Kirk Hammett wearing a Sisters shirt while playing live, so I am going with him.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

crash_and_burn wrote:I once saw Kirk Hammett wearing a Sisters shirt while playing live, so I am going with him.
I met James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet at Rock City in Nottingham the day after they played Donington Monsters of Rock in 1987.They were there as guests of a certain ex Sisters guitarist who's band were playing a fan club gig there that day...
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Petseri
Overbomber

Machine Regime wrote:It's confusing just how cagey the Vision Thing guitarists / bassist are about how much they actually contributed to the album proper - are they worried Eldritch's lawers'll leap on 'em and tear their throats out, a la the rabbit from Holy Grail, if they inadvertently lay claim for a single lone note they didn't really... erm... pluck?
Andreas had no problems talking about the studio sessions. Tim was a latecomer so he had little input. John Perry's work is not disputed.

Besides, Tony James claimed a lyric for which he is not credited. :lol:
Jeremiah

I'd have to go with Gary + Wayne - however, I think Ben & Chris play First And Last And Always better than anyone else that I have heard.
iesus
Overbomber

i agree with Jeremiah Ben and Chris play First and Last and Always better than anyone ever did...
also there are other songs that were better performed live by certain guitarist duos than others, therefor this question cannot be answered by saying simply this guitarists where better together than the others
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
DasPerltAber

Vibe wise.....Pearson and Marx.... I also just happen to like Bruhn as he actually had a Floyd on his guitar.......but to be honest......Pearson and Marx rule ..and I have to say Varjak was an excellent rhythm guitarist.
mh
Above the Chemist

Marx first, always and never any question. The fact that his input in forming the band and defining it's early sound is not being recognised more is disgraceful. Floorshow, Heartland, FALAA, Nine While Nine, SKOS: where would the Sisters be without them? Shame on the lot of you!

Eldritch in second place. His work on Reptile House, Temple of Love and Floodland is critical. The Marx/Eldritch pairing is the Sisters as they were originally meant to be.

Catalyst/Christo come next; they completely revitalised the band at a crucial time.

Hussey? He's a competent and technically proficient player who writes some nice twiddly bits from time to time, but what did he ever really do to make his mark in the band? A handful of tracks over a year and half. Must try harder.

Pearson? A competent rock guitarist but goddammit weren't the Sisters bloody grim during his tenure?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mh wrote:Marx first, always and never any question. The fact that his input in forming the band and defining it's early sound is not being recognised more is disgraceful. Floorshow, Heartland, FALAA, Nine While Nine, SKOS: where would the Sisters be without them? Shame on the lot of you!

Eldritch in second place. His work on Reptile House, Temple of Love and Floodland is critical. The Marx/Eldritch pairing is the Sisters as they were originally meant to be.

Catalyst/Christo come next; they completely revitalised the band at a crucial time.

Hussey? He's a competent and technically proficient player who writes some nice twiddly bits from time to time, but what did he ever really do to make his mark in the band? A handful of tracks over a year and half. Must try harder.

Pearson? A competent rock guitarist but goddammit weren't the Sisters bloody grim during his tenure?
aye. wot he said, on all counts ^

:notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yep. mh I would like to subscribe to your newsletter :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lachert
Overbomber

today the best sisters guitarist of course is:
mr Chris Catalyst! :twisted:
long live rock'n'roll
paul
Overbomber

lachert wrote:today the best sisters guitarist of course is:
mr Chris Catalyst! :twisted:
Yep, in the land of the blind is one-eye king :wink:
lachert
Overbomber

i mean today, Paul :wink:
long live rock'n'roll
James Blast
Banned

welcome to 'The Land of the Blind' and deaf ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Back in time

I do not care. Just play. Just sing. More.
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man.
throughthecables

Pearson / Marx

I'm not the biggest fan of the actual line-up....
I don't like Def Leppard
paul
Overbomber

lachert wrote:i mean today, Paul :wink:
I agree, Rafal.

It's like chosing between getting shot in the head or being decapiteded. Both lead to instant death, but if you'd ask me, I'd go for the shot :lol:
tristren
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:Marx first, always and never any question. The fact that his input in forming the band and defining it's early sound is not being recognised more is disgraceful. Floorshow, Heartland, FALAA, Nine While Nine, SKOS: where would the Sisters be without them? Shame on the lot of you!

Yes, I'd say that just about sums it up. Though I'd add that Varjak, Starling, and the Vision Things guys (inc. John Perry) were good as well. There's not been one that I actively disliked.

Tony