wednesday 16th

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2010 Sisters dates and the 2011 30th Anniversary tour
Vision
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
Yuitsu wrote:
markfiend wrote:I think coffindodger was at a different gig from me...
Under a bridge, maybe..
:lol: you read my mind ;D
Great minds think alike!
NickW
Amphetamine Filth

weebleswobble wrote:YAWN

Can't understand the negativity of those that attended and especially those that didn't. :lol:

I had a bloody good time. :wink:
I too had a bloody good time and would have been better had I got to both nights

pleasant surprise that no one has complained yet 'that there was too much smoke' - minds you theres plenty of time and trolss yet to do so
Just one of the pesky kids
Vision
Amphetamine Filth

NickW wrote:

Can't understand the negativity of those that attended and especially those that didn't. :lol:

I too had a bloody good time and would have been better had I got to both nights

pleasant surprise that no one has complained yet 'that there was too much smoke' - minds you theres plenty of time and trolss yet to do so

This troll seems to have vanished. Maybe the river swelled and he drowned.
Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will p*ss on your computer.
Balam
Road Kill

I thought the whole night was great, from the meet up in the Dry Dock to the end i had a fantastic time, some people just like to moan!
Coming soon!! When my head works
tower
Road Kill

Balam wrote:I thought the whole night was great, from the meet up in the Dry Dock to the end i had a fantastic time, some people just like to moan!
2nd that!
theparadox2010
Amphetamine Filth

Myself and Mrs Paradox had a great time, and, as Roger Waters once said about his floyd, if the people don't like it, they won't come again..... Oh, both nights were sold out, but the 16th had a bigger guest list...
we're better than the birthday party, but not as good as motorhead, that makes us pretty damn good!!!!
sam1
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

gotta agree with this one
If you don't like it, don't go, nobody's forcing you to go

to pluck a line from The Rollins Band -Shine-
The Ones Who Don't Do Anything Are Always The Ones Who Try To Put You Down

no doubt I'll receive a bit of backlash :lol:
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

theparadox2010 wrote:Oh, both nights were sold out, but the 16th had a bigger guest list...
Really?? :eek: Are you sure about that? I thought especially the 17th felt far from sold out, and on both nights ticket hawkers seemed desperate to get rid of their tickets at the stairs to the entrance.

But nobody's happier than me if you're right...
Last edited by euphoria on 21 Feb 2011, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Vision
Amphetamine Filth

sam1 wrote:

gotta agree with this one
If you don't like it, don't go, nobody's forcing you to go

to pluck a line from The Rollins Band -Shine-
The Ones Who Don't Do Anything Are Always The Ones Who Try To Put You Down

no doubt I'll receive a bit of backlash :lol:
Ooh I like that one. Will have to remember it. There was booze, cake, music, and in my case, a rather fetching half naked man running about for me to look at who later gave me hugs! What's not to like :D

Maybe there needed to be more half naked girls? :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will p*ss on your computer.
sam1

Vision wrote:
Maybe there needed to be more half naked girls? :lol:
there is never enough!!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

there were officially more people on thursday than on wednesday.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Sita

I had a feeling it was tighter packed.
结庐在人境,而无车马喧。问君何能尔?心远地自偏。
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Sita wrote:I had a feeling it was tighter packed.
Packed? God, where was I that night, really? :lol:

Seriously though: I have never been to a Sisters indoor concert with that much free space. I'm really astonished it was sold out. If it's sold out in AB Brussels like tonight or in Columbiahalle Berlin, then it's crammed and you can barely move during the concert.

QuiffBoy, do you know any numbers? Would be interesting! 1200 was the capacity I think?
theparadox2010
Amphetamine Filth

Nurse told me they were sold out, that does not mean everyone who had a ticket turned up though.
we're better than the birthday party, but not as good as motorhead, that makes us pretty damn good!!!!
lachert
Overbomber

euphoria wrote:
Sita wrote:I had a feeling it was tighter packed.
Packed? God, where was I that night, really? :lol:

Seriously though: I have never been to a Sisters indoor concert with that much free space.
same here. when we saw "the stage" when it was empty day before concert, our reaction was "oh my god, how small it is? :eek: it will be hell on earth when they let in those 1000 people. i've got astma. no chance to get under the stage etc." but at the gigs, you can go to the bar and back under the stage in 60 seconds :lol: it looks like 3/4 full.
long live rock'n'roll
Bahamas
Road Kill

Luckily, we are all in this together, as the Sisters of Mercy performed for two nights in Leeds. Upon admission, I am handed computer generated postcards signed by no other than AE himself and cupcakes are offered through slender ladies in fishnet stockings coupled with a leather clad three quarter outfits. The red lipstick has been applied as a final touch. Two pool tables to the right mark the fact that this will be small venue and I shake my head in disbelief, when I think what of what it could have been for this band. Past the pool tables, two gentlemen are pushing the latest sister’s merchandise that includes a vision thing T shirt and a sister’s beanie. I pass over my £15.00 for the beanie and mark my way quickly to the bar as I am already a sister’s scarf and I’m feeling very self conscious that I must now look like a Bay City rollers fan. Prices for beer are typical for such venues and I head quickly inside for comfort of the darkness. I catch the last song of warm up act. The singer a genetic clone of john Lyon to the point where I nearly run out and buy country life butter. To his right is a dancing woman dressed as a nurse, who dances in plastic clothing. She did trump the women on the door.

The sisters open with Lucretia and an older looking AE appears from the fog wearing combat pants a black leather jacket and a florescent v neck shirt. Two large TVs to front of stage are playing full metal jacket and Private Pyle also disappears behind the haze. The first shortcoming in the gig struck one immediately, namely the fact that the bar was outside of where the band was actually playing. Hence certain people gravitated in that direction. The second was the numerous occasions that feedback came out of the speakers. On or around the seventh time I lost count or interest. To the left of stage were 14 posters all of the sisters during stages of a bygone era including one that referred to sell out dates at Wembley arena. By now Chris Catalyst looked like he had transformed into Raff Nadal and they cranked through Dr Jeep. More importantly the crowd was up for this tonight and there was a fantastic symmetry between the band and the crowd. At times the audience eclipsed the band. I managed to narrowly avoid a boot to the head as one of the towers collapsed during Alice. I did not think he was ever going to get up again, but like Lazarus he did, only to fall over on his face on the second night. Marian was played a little too quickly for me and was followed by a heartfelt rendition of happy birthday by the audience. A techno version of More was also played. No time to cry, Temple of Love and Vision Thing were included coupled with a Red Lorry yellow lorry cover.

The second night was opened by my favourite opening song by the sisters, kiss the carpet but feedback issues occurred during the last versus. For those of you who seek bootlegs of gigs the second night in sound quality was the better of the two nights. The audience was good but not as strong as the first night. I thought there were more people on the second night. It was good to see that AE made an adjustment to the second night to include this corrosion, rain from heaven and he was not just going through the motions. You can see the finishing line for the band now and times they were allowed to be self indulgent. What was clearly apparent from both nights is that virtually the entire audience had seen this band and this act before. These gigs did not hit the heights for me of Leamington last year but they did not hit the historic low of Astoria either. Without a record label, no new album and one poster in middle of Leeds for marketing, one has to ask how one of the most equipped bands to come out of the 80’s end up liked this. See you in Budapest and take care.
S.O.D.
Road Kill

There were some valid points by coffindancer1313,

The sound was definately not the best I have experienced at a gig.

The merch was crap.

The cakes were crap.

The gig was full.

But so what, We had a firkin great night and was gutted we could not make Thursday.

It was not the first time I had seen them, Its not the worst time I had seen them and I hope to fook Its not the last time I see em.

If you didnt like it dont go again, simples !!!!
I bet she still looks good in ribbons !!!
S.O.D.
Road Kill

Oh and the service was crap in the Drydock too, but the beer was good !!
I bet she still looks good in ribbons !!!
Sita

On another note - someone wrote earlier, "Andrew killed the vocals", and even though I'm not sure what that literally means it's nothing nice, obviously :wink:
But I quite liked the vocals during the gigs.
I only found time to listen to the recording of the 16th once so far, and like what I hear there, too. I am especially excited about the quieter songs. I love Eldritch's voice and on the quiet songs you can actually hear it. Sometimes he even sings :eek: :notworthy:
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Sita wrote:On another note - someone wrote earlier, "Andrew killed the vocals", and even though I'm not sure what that literally means it's nothing nice, obviously :wink:
But I quite liked the vocals during the gigs.
I only found time to listen to the recording of the 16th once so far, and like what I hear there, too. I am especially excited about the quieter songs. I love Eldritch's voice and on the quiet songs you can actually hear it. Sometimes he even sings :eek: :notworthy:
I agree, and interesting is that I think he sings Gift that shines the best. Hopefully Far parade is slow...and hopefully we ever get to hear it...
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I think Budapest has made some good points in his/her last paragraph. Very apt.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Back in time

Bahamas wrote:....See you in Budapest and take care.
See you.

Anyway, great description, thank you.
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

S.O.D. wrote:Oh and the service was crap in the Drydock too, but the beer was good !!
To be fair, they only had two staff on, they were obviously not expecting the invasion.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sam1

markfiend wrote:
S.O.D. wrote:Oh and the service was crap in the Drydock too, but the beer was good !!
To be fair, they only had two staff on, they were obviously not expecting the invasion.
Leeds or Leamington ???
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Leeds
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell