Who played bass on 'Alice (1993)'?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Orca
Road Kill

Who played bass on 'Alice (1993)'? Was it Tony James, or had he left by the time that was recorded?

I was listening to it in the car today and ... MY LORD!!! It's good :eek: I'd kind of skipped past it previously, thinking the definitive 'Alice' was 1983 and nothing could top that original edit.

'Alice (1993)' really is that full-on pounding "industrial groove machine". There's something quite raw, yet polished about the production and that bass line is just hard. The sound system in my car is good, with a sub-woofer as standard ... not too much, just enough. Confined in a tin box, you really can hear the music.

You're now going to tell me it was synthesised, aren't you? It doesn't sound like Tony James, as he sounds on 'Vision Thing'.

Having done 'Temple of Love (1992)', then 'Alice (1993)' ... can you imagine what 'Body and Soul (199X)' would have sounded like? 'Afterhours (199X)'? :notworthy:
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

Tony James already left the band in 1993. As far as I know, the bass is synth on the whole single. And Adam played all the guitars. I've read it somewhere...
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Orca
Road Kill

Thanks for the reply. So Tony had left the band.

I have an early demo of 'Body Electric' where the bass sounds very similar. It is a fantastic sound re-captured on 'Alice (1993)'.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

The production on Alice '93 and Under The Gun was just so, so good - was so looking forward to a new album with those two examples as standard bearers. Fuuuuuck!!! :von:
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Machine Regime wrote:The production on Alice '93 and Under The Gun was just so, so good - was so looking forward to a new album with those two examples as standard bearers. Fuuuuuck!!! :von:
Yes, I remember that day as if it were yesterday! :roll:
"as we walk on the floodland"
aims
Overbomber

Machine Regime wrote:The production on Alice '93 and Under The Gun was just so, so good - was so looking forward to a new album with those two examples as standard bearers. Fuuuuuck!!! :von:
If that were the case, I'd happily have waited til '97. Summer could quite readily commits atrocious acts of violence to Under The Gun on any given day. In the brightest yellows and blues, of course.

These days I'd settle for a triple album of live recordings, The New Ones / The Reworkings / The Covers. I can dream.
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

I dare say the posh fella below

http://img716.imageshack.us/i/funny1t.jpg
DasPerltAber
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The bass on those tracks is pure synth ......And I am sorry..but the first half of utg is complete and utter sh*te......I really don't have a thing for the aspiring and subsequently failing love god thing going on in that video and song.....