Sold down the Mekong

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Back from a fucking fabulous holiday in "the 'nam" - truly brilliant. Lovely people, a billion motor-scooters, incredible street food (7 of us went out for dinner, drank our own weight in Saigon-brand beer, ate more food than you can possibly imagine, and the bill came to $25 total including tip), amazing weather, stunning scenery, truly amazing coffee (hot, thick, sweet, with a kick like an angry mule). I'll be getting some photies together when I wake up (only downside is 24-hours travelling with a 12 hour time difference, so I don't know what day it is right now).

Suffice to say I would recommend it as a travel destination, but go soon before the central coast turns into another Benidorm - it's going that way.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Vision
Amphetamine Filth

Welcome back, did you bring us all a present? :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will p*ss on your computer.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Find a suitable venue for :von: to play?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
EvilBastard
Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:Find a suitable venue for :von: to play?
Bizarrely, yes - there's an auditorium at the War Remnants Museum in Saigon (which should appeal to his anti-imperialist sentiments) which would be perfect. Not only that, touring costs would be minimal - based on what I've seen being carried on the back of a scooter (including but not limited to wardrobes, fridges, and livestock) he could get the lighting rig, smoke machine, and the Doktor on 2 Vespas and a Honda Supercub circa 1973.
Hank Moody
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Damn. Misread the title and thought it was a thread about Dan Dare.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Petseri
Overbomber

Were you in Saigon the whole time or did you get farther north as well?
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Petseri wrote:Were you in Saigon the whole time or did you get farther north as well?
Started in Saigon, night bus to Nha Trang, train from there to Da Nang, bus to Hoi An and Hué, night train to Hanoi, bus to Halong Bay and back. I don't recommend the bus unless you're a committed masochist, and if you're going by train stump up the extra $10 for the "soft" sleeper.
Hank Moody
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Sounds like a great trip and experience! Welcome back.
"as we walk on the floodland"
Petseri
Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:
Petseri wrote:Were you in Saigon the whole time or did you get farther north as well?
Started in Saigon, night bus to Nha Trang, train from there to Da Nang, bus to Hoi An and Hué, night train to Hanoi, bus to Halong Bay and back. I don't recommend the bus unless you're a committed masochist, and if you're going by train stump up the extra $10 for the "soft" sleeper.
:notworthy: :notworthy: Very impressive. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Not that I can see myself doing it in the next couple of years, I would be interested in heading there as well. A close friend was in Nha Trang (not really a pleasure trip...) so going there (as well as the Central Highlands like Pleiku) would be my main points of interest. If we ever share a cab ride again, I may ask for recommendations. :notworthy:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Finally got around to uploading some photies to Picasa - take a shufti if you like
Hank Moody
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Beautiful pictures. How long did you stay?
结庐在人境,而无车马喧。问君何能尔?心远地自偏。