HD player advice

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Can anyone recommend a decent HD video player for PC? I mean one that actually works. WMP, Media Player Classic , Nero Showtime and VLC all result in the dfreaded black screen crash and DVX pretends that it's going to play but then sticks and skips like a stuck record, especially in full screen mode. Is there anything out there that will just, you know, play and HD video?
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I thought that just happened to me. :urff:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

if you're getting the same thing with more than one player it sounds like either a codec issue (try downloading the latest versions) or a hardware problem (get a mac) :|

for me running a mac with quicktime using the perian & flip4macWMV plugins "just works" :D

maybe some of the AV guys on here can be of more help...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Quiff Boy wrote:if you're getting the same thing with more than one player it sounds like either a codec issue (try downloading the latest versions)
I seem to have tried every codec in existence at one time or another.
Quiff Boy wrote:or a hardware problem

I guess it could just be that my PC is old and knackered. I keep meaning to try running some on my laptop just to see.
Quiff Boy wrote:(get a mac) :|
See my sarcastic comments in the various other threads that have gone over the "Macs are better than anything in the world ever ever ever" fallacy.
Doktor Gott
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

What kind of Graphics card are you using??

that can make all the difference.. :?
I give you the finger but you want the whole hand...
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/gottdammerung/galleries
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Doktor Gott wrote:What kind of Graphics card are you using??

that can make all the difference.. :?
Ah, I didn't think of that. I don't think it's been replaced since I bought the machine in 1859 so it's probably too old.

I can't find anything listed specifically as a graphics card in the hardware manager. The only thing that looks close is, under Display Adaptors - Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. Is that it? And should I be embarrassed to admit that that's what I have?