Screw Shareholder Value - Go Figure

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
khepri II
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:
Chairman Bux wrote:It must be wonderful to have a handful of Germans think you have the Midas touch?

None of which changes the wee fact that the "SSV" recording is a piece of self-indulgent ****.

Techno without drums? What a silly idea.

"Gift" on the other hand is a work of undisputed genius. ;)
tangerinedream on a bad day ;)
Depending on which version you mean. I'd have to go more with PIL. I like PIL and Suicide, so I like SSV. Sorry if this offends :kiss:
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

The only thing Gift had going for it was that it was slightly more lively than First and Last, but still poor compared to the 82/ 83 material. As for:
mh wrote:history has proven it to be a landmark release ... for the whole electronic/industrial/darkwave thing
Seems like another good reason to leave it well alone.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
force
Road Kill

Chairman Bux wrote: Techno without drums? What a silly idea.
From thesistersofmercy.com:
"If you really must have a copy, be advised that some US independent distributor (previous candidates need not apply) might soon be distributing a much better version of the SSV album, with drums. It's still not the Sisters, and it's still a very perverse techno record, but it's a whole lot better than East West's version. "

As far as I know, there has been no such release. With a drum track it might actually be quite good. Just listen to Gift and imagine how bad it would be without drums.
Dave R
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Just want to add my thoughts...I have heard the ssv thing, and thanks to some kind heartlanders, i am in the process of getting hold of it in complete form.

As for the good vs bad debate...think on this:-

My wife, Mrs Doktor has declareed to me this week that she "likes" the new sugarbabes record, this in itself is an act worthy of divorce....BUT....

In the absence of anything new from the bands she likes, she keeps hearing these records on the radio and thinks "thats not too bad..." then after a few more plays thinks "hmmm...thats really good". (If only her bands would release a record I would not have to put up with this - and beleive me, waiting 18 months for a new album must be SO hard!!!)

To sum up the entire thing, yes we all agree that the SSv project was a get out of jail card (cheers Lou Reed - you set the standard) but, and it is a big but here...

IN THE ABSCENCE OF REAL FOOD, CRUMBS FROM THE TABLE BECOMING APPETISING....

Hindsight, my dears is wonderful, we all look back and say "oh well he did this for a reason", but lets be balanced here...some years ago he promised us Summer...he promised an Album...."waiting for chris/adam/mike/my mom....."

If all we are gonna get is CRUMBS, we either digest them and survive, or ignore them and starve.

Me? I don't wanna starve.

Here endeth another sermon from The Doktor.

Adios.
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
Black Shuck
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

DerekR wrote:Ah c'mon folks, it's meant to be garbage and it IS garbage.
Johnny Boy wrote:Agree with DerekR. The Completists are taking over the asylum.
claws wrote:Lets not compare this **** to any other Von related music anymore. It's just not possible...
Chairman Bux wrote:It must be wonderful to have a handful of Germans think you have the Midas touch?

None of which changes the wee fact that the "SSV" recording is a piece of self-indulgent ****.
Think you're all missing the point.
no new sisters album since 1990 + loyal, patient fans = desperation for ANY new(ish) Sisters product.
Maybe it is a sack of cask, but I would love to hear it, just to hear ANY sort of new sisters material.
Who cares if Von made it as a p*ss take? It's still made BY ANDREW ELDRITCH, and so if an 'emporers new clothes' situation has arisen, surely it's understandable.

a bad album by a musical genuis can make for interesting, perhaps even perversely enjoyable, listening.
Gazza for England manager
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the problem was he didnt really make it. not really.

correct me if i'm wrong, but the story goes it was him and two other guys, and his involvement was purely to add a few vocal lines down (and probably suggest a few song titles)... and then to mix out the drums when he wanted to present it to wea. :?:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Quiff Boy wrote:the problem was he didnt really make it. not really.

correct me if i'm wrong, but the story goes it was him and two other guys, and his involvement was purely to add a few vocal lines down (and probably suggest a few song titles)... and then to mix out the drums when he wanted to present it to wea. :?:
or was that bullsh*t? just his way of distancing himself from it?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
James Blast
Banned

Heads Up Heartlanders!
Face it, Mr. E could turn round in a few years and say he had absolutely nothing to do with it bar paying for the studio. We all like different kinds of sounds but SSV has nothing that sonically connects it to The Sisters Of Mercy, and it blows Airedales. :P
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
allfear

doktor wolf wrote:ahem...

would anyone be so kind as to let me know, where some devious git has posted these mp3's so that i can avoid them...ahem....at all costs, as i do not want to download them.

Honest...

Thank you in advance.
I dont know wherer they are now, but I have somewherer the high quality versions that were Semi Officially posted to the net around 1997

members.xoom.net/ssv i think was the original URL

Matt
ryan

or a certain yahoo group mentioned only about a million times :innocent:
Dave R

Thanks for all the help on this one geezers....just trying to be a completist is a hazardous thing....

Cheers guys. You know who you are.

For the record, dangerous as it may be, i do know of a damn large global file transfer system that may be of use to people should they wish to make use....

Anybody ever use Wamgate! ???

PM for details.......... :innocent: :innocent:
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?