23 awesome monuments from the former Yugoslavia

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/05/23-fas ... ugoslavia/
SPOMENIK BY JAN KEMPENAERS
During the 1960s and 70s, thousands of monuments commemorating the Second World War called ‘Spomeniks’ were built throughout the former Yugoslavia; striking monumental sculptures, with an angular geometry echoing the shapes of flowers, crystals, and macro-views of viruses or DNA.
In the 1980s the Spomeniks still attracted millions of visitors from the Eastern bloc; today they are largely neglected and unknown, their symbolism lost and unwanted.
Antwerp-based photographer Jan Kempenaers travelled the Balkans photographing these eerie objects, presented in the book Spomenik as a powerful typological series. The beauty and mystery of the isolated, crumbling Spomeniks informs Kempenaer’s enquiry into memory, found beauty, and whether former monuments can function as pure sculpture.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i say, those are bloody brilliant. am going to nick that link...
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Any Stargates?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Dark
Underneath the Rock

See it a lot, but it never gets old. :notworthy:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Wowsa. I'll give that an in-depth look later!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Seen 'em a few times as well, but I never get bored looking at them. Thx, James!
Debaser
Overbomber

James Blast wrote: largely neglected and unknown, their symbolism lost and unwanted.
because people are rubbish. Thanks for the link Mr B :D
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Awesome! Cheers for this.

Think the Star Trek people need to get their filming over here, ready-made locations!
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Er...anyone else looking at Podgaric (the first pik in the series) and thinking, "Coo look - they ripped off the gun turret from the Millenium Falcon"..? :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

nope
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Fantastic sculptures 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:nope
That's because you're looking at the pictures on a Mac, so what you see is a GIF of Steve jobs leaning some fanboi over his skateboard and buggering him repeatedly. Probably.

:lol:
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

you say that like it's a bad thing

tell ya what, get a PB and smear the keys with capsicum then click this - http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 794#560794 -, I ken ye like a 'difficult' life ;D
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

What's a PB?
Hank Moody
James Blast
Banned

it's like a computer but not
~ Peter Steele
Salome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Anybody happens to know an exact location for at least one of these monuments?
I just got an email with these photos a couple of days ago from a photographer I work with sating that he wants to shoot there.
So if anybody knows and could write it for me, that would be a huge help! :.D
Back in time
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Visiting some of these monuments as a kid I never imagined that once they will be seen as a work of arts. I must say that seeing them on these photographs they appear quite impressive.
Salome, they are scattered all over former Yugoslavia, but if one comes to Zagreb it can reach some of them easilly (Ilirska Bistrica, Sisak, Brezovica, Jasenovac, Petrova gora). Others are also reachable, but in other countries in the vicinity (Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro).
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

The one in Mitrovice is in Kosovo ... I've seen it once in about 1987 ... a funny feeling ...
Salome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Thanks guys! :.D