Geekery Helpery - PC-based audio mixing

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I have managed to get myself roped into producing training videos for my employer (something to do with having a cute accent, what can I tell you :lol: ) so am looking for a relatively inexpensive audio processing/mixing app that will allow me to add things like reverb, volume modulation, that sort of nonsense. Anyone have any experience of this stuff, and maybe a recommendation?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Depending on what you call inexpensive, there are several choices you have. A Goldwave license for one year will set you back USD $19 and has on board effects like the one you're looking for. However, if you're looking for a multitrack app, give it a miss as this is 'just' stereo/dual mono.

A bit more pro than you might need, but at $40 still more than rather inexpensive compared to its 'big names' competitors like Protools, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, etc... is REAPER. Multichannel, multitrack, comes with plenty effects on its own to satisfy anyone's needs. Lightweight (installer <5MB, even runs on a USB key) and heavy on features, even comes with a video display to facilitate video postproduction.

There might be alternatives inbetween those two, but none that I know of...
paul
Overbomber

Ableton Live!
James Blast
Banned

change your underwear not your software, buy a Mac get GarageBand freebies

BTW, I have nae idea if GB would do whit yer efter, but I jist like tae twist the knife every now and then ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

James Blast wrote:change your underwear not your software, buy a Mac get GarageBand freebies

BTW, I have nae idea if GB would do whit yer efter, but I jist like tae twist the knife every now and then ;D
yeah, garageband would do all that :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
czuczu
Overbomber

A cute accent isn't enough - you need a cute earring for audio mixing.

coat etc.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Audacity does these things (I think), and is free.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Audacity does these things (I think), and is free.
I am using Audacity but the only things I can get it to do for me are ridiculously basic. I know geeks say it's good, and most likely I'm just too stupid to use it. Actually I tuned into this thread, hoping to hear of some programme even I can use ;D :innocent:
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

I'm still happy with adobe audition
darkparticle
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Yep Markfiend is right the 1.2 and beta versions of audacity can handle multi-effects on any length of track like echo and gverb(audacity effect name for reverb).

It's a little different to Ableton 7 Live, which I could send you in a folder :wink:. Audacity duplicates a copy and takes a few seconds to save. Ableton applies the effect directly so you can add the effect as you go along, as a soundboard would do. The downside of Ableton is it takes much more time to learn and has live input channels that make the interface complicated to view.
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard