Glastonbury Festival

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

There's about as much evidence for a historical Arthur as there is for a historical Jesus :innocent:

(And more than for a historical Moses, current usernames on HL notwithstanding ;D)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:There's about as much evidence for a historical Arthur as there is for a historical Jesus :innocent:
I refuse point blank to listen to reason or logical argument on the Arthur question. I may have to hand back my copy of "The God Delusion" I betray it so much on this!
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
moses

Jesus?......but, but......I thought.......... What about Santa Claus?
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
moses

Do you think many people on this forum would go if The Sisters were playing?
Silver_Owl
The Don

moses wrote:Do you think many people on this forum would go if The Sisters were playing?
Yes. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
DeWinter

moses wrote:Do you think many people on this forum would go if The Sisters were playing?
If they had a new album to promote, yes. They aren't renowned for great live performances, so I'd need a reason to go!
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

coincidentally...

In defence of Glastonbury
http://louderthanwar.com/blogs/in-defen ... lastonbury
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
moses

I thank you :)
Pista
Cureboi

I'm sure The Wombles will raise the roof this year.

:innocent: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i loved every minute of every time i went.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
abridged
Slight Overbomber

There's mud. I don't do mud. And tents. I don't do tents either. ;D
The Chancer Corporation
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

I am going to Graspop on Saturday...that is if I can stand straight
moses

I'm off for 5 days of Rock & Roll and debauchery!!! :D
Silver_Owl
The Don

I was talking to a barmaid in the pub last night who was setting off this morning. She didn't like camping and didn't want to go. Her boyfriend had bought her the ticket (200 quid :!: ).
She summed it up by saying she'd packed her Hunter wellies and was looking forward to getting home. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

If you go to a festival, you are a cnut.

Only Joking

:lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Silver_Owl
The Don

weebleswobble wrote:If you go to a festival, you are a cnut.

Only Joking

'Nuff said. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I almost feel sorry for Bonio off of U2.

When they started out, he was the archetypal "angry young man", he had a message, he had a drive.

But now he's one of the richest men in the music business, he must look back at those days and think "what have I become?" So he comes out with all his right-on platitudes as an attempt to salve his conscience. Unfortunately, as a reaction to this, the press just portray him as a sanctimonious dick.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

My favorite is Bono. The magazine ranks him at #12, but I rank him #1. In 2003, about to play at a charity show for Iraqis, he realized he forgot his favorite hat. No problem. Bono spent $1,700 to fly the hat in a first-class seat from London via British Airways.
Wait. Isn’t this the same Bono who constantly visits a willing Bush White House to pressure us “wealthy� American taxpayers to forgive the gazillions in debt owed us by such murderous terror-host states such as Sudan?
The bloody wealthy Irish rock star wants to spend your tax money to help relief for terrorist states. But he ain’t spending his own money on it. Nope. His money is going to first-class international airfare for a hat.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: Of course, my previous post is in no way intended to imply that Bonio is not a sanctimonious dick. ;)
—Bertrand Russell
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
moses wrote:All different types go and have fun and it's not just about the bands on the main stages there's a whole heap of crazy s**t going on from the World Famous Burlesque Cabaret Spiegelten Pussy Parlour to some obscure bands in the smaller tents. The corporate crap is on display at such crap fetivals as V and Reading.
You should experience it before you knock it.
to be fair, when i was younger i hated the idea of festivals as there was nowhere to plug the crimpers in, and my winklepickers just sank into the mud :lol: ;)

these days i'm too old and curmudgeonly - i'm fairly sure i'd despise about 90% of the f*ckwits there, and from a music point of view the lineups are usually very disappointing - especially at glasto.

i went to V a few years ago (when soft cell got back together) and it was... well.... it was meh

soft cell were great in their little tent, but primal scream on the big stage were deeply disappointing, and i dont recall anyone else apart beta band, who gave me a headache.

i guess i'm just not a huge fan of festivals, or massive outdoor gigs generally.
Pretty much this.Haven't been to a festival as a punter since The Mish headlined Reading back in 88/89? Spent an hour or so on the thursday morning crimping and spiking my hair before the drive down,only for it to p*ss it down once we were there!
I'm now 43,my arthritis really doesn't like the cold or the damp,and the thought of spending time sleeping in a field fills me with nothing but dread.Good luck to everyone seing the girls at Sonisphere,I am getting a train to Glasgow instead and staying in a posh hotel 8)
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

I like going to festivals depending whose playing, but Glastonbury has been the pits for a few years now with such as Kyle, and Rob the nob Williams singing their garbage. With thousands of middle class types loving it, singing along. Says it all really.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
Mothra

I've been to 6 Glastonburys and countless other festivals with this year being my first summer since 1993 that I won't be pitching a tent in a field and spending the weekend in a drunken haze.

I simply couldn't muster the enthusiasm for it this year and having seen the Glastonbury line up and time schedules, am more than relieved that my token effort to score tickets for this year didn't result in "success". I was lucky enough to be at the last two before the superfence went up, it did need something to stop the sheer amount of people piling in for free, but it has definitely lost something since.

I'm in general agreement with the above that the pop acts performing for middle class twats is not what its supposed to be about (by the way I am middle class, I'm probably a twit, but the thought of joining in a mass singalong so as to create a BBC manufactured "Glastonbury Moment" horrifies me). The last time I was there, 2 years back, I took a very long stroll round the far edges of the site as I was pretty sure I'd never see any of it again - it was great taking in all the tiny stages, even though I never made it to the John Peel stage where the one band of interest to me that night (EATB) were playing - I just forgot they were on as I went strolling.

And don't even get me started on Reading. I'm hoping a year off will relight my enthusiasm for the little festivals (Beautiful Days, Truck, Bearded Theory), which I think increasingly capture what Glastonbury was once about
James Blast
Banned

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote:my idea of hell - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/gallery ... l-pictures
Agreed.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
czuczu
Overbomber

It gets worse - BBC news this morning have happily announced U2 playing Glastonbury will Make History!

Weirdly, they reckon he just needs to turn up for it to be an official historical event but they didn't see fit to mention this

:lol: :lol: :lol: