The Sisters at Sonisphere - 8th-10th July 2011

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2010 Sisters dates and the 2011 30th Anniversary tour
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hi, Newfan, welcome!
Well the Sisters' recorded oeuvre is assessable, so it's easy! Enjoy :D
mh
Above the Chemist

Hullo there! :D

Let's see, there's 3 main LPs and they all sound quite different to each other. Reasonably cheap and easily available though, so why not get them all and see which you like best?

From there it starts at compilations, goes through otherwise unavailable singles tracks, and enters a bottomless pit of demos and live recordings. You can go as far as you want with that, including beyond the point of sanity (most of already have! :lol: )
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

NewFan wrote:Hello All,

I've just got back from Sonisphere and have experienced The Sisters of Mercy for the first time. I loved them, definitely one of my highlights of the weekend and the first band I looked up when I got back to download some tracks / footage and read up on them. I can't belive they've been going so long and I've been oblivious too them.

I thought the spectacle, sound and atmosphere was fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for posting the setlist above as this gives me a starting point, but where would you experts point a new fan wanting to get into The Sisters of Mercy.

Thanks,
Ryan
welcome aboard :D

given that they changed/evolved their sound with each successive album, and your first exposure to them was last weekend, i'd start with their third (final) album, vision thing and work back through floodland and then to their first album, first & last & always... if you're still here at that point, check out the compilation of early pre-album singles, some girls wander by mistake

hopefully the change in sound will make sense when reviewed in reverse order :)

glad you enjoyed them :von:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mh wrote:Hullo there! :D

Let's see, there's 3 main LPs and they all sound quite different to each other. Reasonably cheap and easily available though, so why not get them all and see which you like best?

From there it starts at compilations, goes through otherwise unavailable singles tracks, and enters a bottomless pit of demos and live recordings. You can go as far as you want with that, including beyond the point of sanity (most of already have! :lol: )
aye, wot he said :lol:

:oops: :urff:
lex3000
Amphetamine Filth

Maisey wrote:I missed the whole of Something Fast due to a slight case of having Zeno's foot on my head :lol:
I believe this picture does Zeno justice, Maisey holding up his right foot and I'm holding up the left.

Groningen - Lokerese Feesten
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Mmmmm nipples......

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Depprocksfarfar wrote:Dominion/Mother Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVxX5su99Tw

Something Fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKSkHJdJRyY
Really nice guy and all but Ben's solo starting at 2:20 on Dominion totally and utterly murders it in my opinion. Never been a big fan of the song anyway but I feel like my ears have just been gang raped after that.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
_emma_
Overbomber

Well in my eyes it looked like this:
huge festival (far too big for my liking but that's me) and really really crowded, so if the band were nervous before or during the gig I think it's no wonder because it definitely was a challenge. But luckily it went great and m*****n was accomplished. 8)
Again like in Nova Rock, to get to the front meant standing for 6 or 7 hours in the very crazy and sometimes pretty violent audience full of crowdsurfers (hats off to the security who managed to deal with the situation in a really professional way without doing harm to anybody except themselves :notworthy:). So after I finally saw The Sisters I was so happy but so exhausted at the same time that I just needed to go back to my tent and finally get some rest and relax. But first, immediately after the gig I drank a big beer in about 20 or 30 seconds and it went straight into my head. As result, I was wearing a huge smile on my face and got to chat to a few random strangers on my way - I asked them whether they enjoyed the gig which has just ended, and all of them said yes, from what I remember they used words like "fabulous", "peculiar", "weird but cool", "amazing", "so colourful", and "just so different, so memorable". NewFan - are you one of the people I got to talk to? :lol:
Cross my heart with silver indeed. I'm so glad I went there. :D
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:Well in my eyes it looked like this:
huge festival (far too big for my liking but that's me) and really really crowded, so if the band were nervous before or during the gig I think it's no wonder because it definitely was a challenge. But luckily it went great and m*****n was accomplished. 8)
Again like in Nova Rock, to get to the front meant standing for 6 or 7 hours in the very crazy and sometimes pretty violent audience full of crowdsurfers (hats off to the security who managed to deal with the situation in a really professional way without doing harm to anybody except themselves :notworthy:). So after I finally saw The Sisters I was so happy but so exhausted at the same time that I just needed to go back to my tent and finally get some rest and relax. But first, immediately after the gig I drank a big beer in about 20 or 30 seconds and it went straight into my head. As result, I was wearing a huge smile on my face and got to chat to a few random strangers on my way - I asked them whether they enjoyed the gig which has just ended, and all of them said yes, from what I remember they used words like "fabulous", "peculiar", "weird but cool", "amazing", "so colourful", and "just so different, so memorable". NewFan - are you one of the people I got to talk to? :lol:
Cross my heart with silver indeed. I'm so glad I went there. :D
Nice. :D

6/7 hours waiting though!? :eek:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
doulfe
Amphetamine Filth

my housemate's view

It's a small world and it smells funny Image
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Purple Light wrote: Really nice guy and all but Ben's solo starting at 2:20 on Dominion totally and utterly murders it in my opinion. Never been a big fan of the song anyway but I feel like my ears have just been gang raped after that.
:eek: I think that's just the (non existent) mix (of a bootleg). I love it. Usually the only solos that I like are Roxy Music, but Ben's really got the Roxy Music quality, to me. Don't you think it just gives the song extra cool? No? Oh, well, then it's just me... :oops: :wink:
paul
Overbomber

Purple Light wrote: Really nice guy and all but Ben's solo starting at 2:20 on Dominion totally and utterly murders it in my opinion. Never been a big fan of the song anyway but I feel like my ears have just been gang raped after that.
Yep, complete lack of feeling for the song. He also used to do the with Something Fast, but fortunately he improved his solo last year.
Silver_Owl
The Don

NewFan wrote:Hello All,

I've just got back from Sonisphere and have experienced The Sisters of Mercy for the first time. I loved them, definitely one of my highlights of the weekend and the first band I looked up when I got back to download some tracks / footage and read up on them. I can't belive they've been going so long and I've been oblivious too them.

I thought the spectacle, sound and atmosphere was fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for posting the setlist above as this gives me a starting point, but where would you experts point a new fan wanting to get into The Sisters of Mercy.

Thanks,
Ryan
Welcome aboard Ryan.
Always good to have enthusiastic young blood here. :wink:

If you need any pointers there's plenty of people here who will help out. :D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

lex3000 wrote:
Maisey wrote:I missed the whole of Something Fast due to a slight case of having Zeno's foot on my head :lol:
I believe this picture does Zeno justice, Maisey holding up his right foot and I'm holding up the left.

:D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

streamline wrote:Mmmmm nipples......
hmmmm... yes, our Obviousman always BUT always strips at these kind of gigs! he has a reputation to uphold.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
NewFan
Road Kill

Thanks for the welcomes.

I've downloaded Vision Thing for a bargain price from Amazon and also a 5 Album Set for £15 quid, which according to most of the reviews on Amazon is "ok" for people "like me" but not too appreciated by the fanatics... I guess that'll be you guys :-)

I've also had a good read of the Wiki pages for "Sisters"... Blimey. Complicated.

Thanks again for the welcomes and the tips.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

NewFan wrote:I've also had a good read of the Wiki pages for "Sisters"... Blimey. Complicated.
yeah.

tell us about it.

:lol:

he's a complicated kinda guy ;)
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

MadameButterfly wrote:
hmmmm... yes, our Obviousman always BUT always strips at these kind of gigs! he has a reputation to uphold.

It's just for keeping my shirt to stick to my body too much after sweaty dancing you know.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Obviousman wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:

It's just for keeping my shirt to stick to my body too much after sweaty dancing you know.
aaahhhhh.....yes i DO know! :wink: :lol:
that ongoing eternity
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Oof!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

:lol: :kiss:

just meaning i've picked up or carried or tripped over all the t-shirts you dump on the smallest person standing near you! :innocent:
that ongoing eternity
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

NewFan wrote:Thanks for the welcomes.

I've downloaded Vision Thing for a bargain price from Amazon and also a 5 Album Set for £15 quid, which according to most of the reviews on Amazon is "ok" for people "like me" but not too appreciated by the fanatics... I guess that'll be you guys :-)

I've also had a good read of the Wiki pages for "Sisters"... Blimey. Complicated.

Thanks again for the welcomes and the tips.
Trust me. It's their best album. Modern Intelligent Rock. Tongue partly in cheek, partly in a decent human space.
guns & cars & accidents
_emma_
Overbomber

Is it just me to whom NewFan seems like an old fan in disguise taking the p*ss, or am I being totally paranoid? :lol: Probably I am. :urff:
NewFan
Road Kill

_emma_ wrote:Is it just me to whom NewFan seems like an old fan in disguise taking the p*ss, or am I being totally paranoid? :lol: Probably I am. :urff:
Err definately paranoid Emma... Doesn't mean they're not after you though. I only went to Sonisphere to see "The Big Four" on the Friday so the rest of the weekend was just a bit of a bonus as I hadn't heard of many of the bands that were on over the weekend: Motorhead, Slipknot and Paradise Lost were the only ones in fact. I thought I'd give Biffy Clyro three songs to excite me... they didn't so I headed for the Bohemia Stage to watch Paradise Lost on the grounds that I'd at least heard of them. In fact I've got a CD of theirs that I traded for something when I was in school, but I've never listened to it.

So after they'd finished I got talking to a girl from Ireland who'd spent the previous week following Morrissey (I like Morrissey/ The Smiths) and she said she was really looking forward to seeing The Sisters of Mercy. On that basis I stuck around and really enjoyed it, my highlight of the Saturday/ Sunday. I actually described them to my mate on Sunday morning as a heavy Joy Division... he wasn't impressed :lol:
_emma_
Overbomber

Fair enough and very cool. 8) It just strikes me that as a new person you managed to find a relevant thread in the correct section of this big forum so quickly, and to post a message which sounds as if you've been here before, or at least read this forum before, knowing that there are fanatics and experts etc. :wink: You know, as I see it a typical new person would rather post in General Chat or Sisters Chat, start new thread out of the blue and post something like "Hi, my name is Ryan and I'm new on the forum, I saw sisters of mercy at sonisphere festival and I really liked the gig, can anybody recommend me some sources because I would like to get to know more about the band?" You just seem too aware of things, you know, and that's why I'm getting paranoid. :wink: Do forgive me, welcome and hello.