Kindle

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
robertzombie
Overbomber

The more I read and talk to people about the Amazon Kindle the more I want one, despite the obvious downside of no longer having a physical library.

What are your thoughts on them?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

pretty toy, but too expensive ... say 30 quid were ok, but surely not 100 and over only for the tool ...
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Excellent bit of kit, and reasonably priced. Although I'd wait a year or two for the technology to mature further.
sultan2075
Overbomber

I like to write inside my books. I could see it being good for reading novels, though.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

It have a notes facility and electronic highlight.
Went for the 3G version and as much as I love printed books I'm finding this a great device. :D
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
czuczu
Overbomber

I've stuck with printed books but girlfriend has one & loves it.
Pros - the screen is scarily stable and clear.

Cons - I can no longer judge her books by their cover, see how far in she is or even know what she's reading.
Debaser
Overbomber

I trust it lets you read the last page first ;)
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I think there is something rather lovely about the physicality of a book
Also you can see how far through you are by where your marker is which gives me a sense of achievement
And most of my books come from the charity shops or the Library
Also don't you have enough with staring at a computer screen either with work or play?
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

My friend says they're brilliant and I have no problem with that but I just prefer something physical, same as I prefer music in physical format to downloads. The packaging makes a difference and I like a good library.

And, as million voices says, we already spend enough time looking at computer screens. Reading should be one of the things we do to get away from them.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
robertzombie
Overbomber

The screen isn't actually like looking at a PC or TV screen though, it looks like paper :)
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:The screen isn't actually like looking at a PC or TV screen though, it looks like paper :)
Indeed, that's the beauty of it not being back lit.

Ultimately I think it comes down to choosing the right tool for the job.
When I'm out and about I love having all my music with me on an iPod.
In the house I prefer to play the physical CD or, even better, the vinyl.
A nicely bound book is a joy, but I don't want it rattling round my bag.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

robertzombie wrote:The screen isn't actually like looking at a PC or TV screen though, it looks like paper :)
I haven't actually seen one so I could be wrong but isn't it still a screen nonetheless, with all the attendant "don't spend too long" hazards?
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

stufarq wrote:
I haven't actually seen one so I could be wrong but isn't it still a screen nonetheless, with all the attendant "don't spend too long" hazards?
I've yet to suffer eye strain from it.
Well, no more than the usual that comes from a prolonged period of reading any media.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I must confess I haven't used one for a great length of time.
I just think if you have something that works so well why bother replacing it.
But I am something of a luddite, 10 years from now I'll be saying I always thought they were wonderful - Dishwasher mentality
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:
It uses E-ink technology, so pretty much the same as reading an actual book, having said that the background isn't quite white a sort of pale grey, so not quite as good. no pretty pictures though, well you can have grey scale ones ;)
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Not really familiar with E-ink but I'll take your word for it.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

I bought a Kindle about 6 months ago. One of my better buys. Don't worry about getting eye strain while reading one, i never do and i work shifts , and that's reading it sometimes after a bad days sleep. You can alter the font and the size of the text. It has a built in dictionary too, so if your not sure of a word click on it and get the definition. No more books clogging up the place. All the classics are free , and there are sites to download books free, hmmm... not that i do that may i say. The battery life is exellent as you only use the battery when clicking on turning a page,i am told, so you hardly have to charge your Kindle. I would say go on Robertzombie get one , you will not be disapointed.For £111 well worth buying.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
Dan
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:
It's not a CRT though, I assumed that CRT's had more hazards than the other more modern types of screen. Is that not correct?
hallucienate
Overbomber

I have one and love it. Great for travelling as you aren't weighed down by a pile of books.

The screen really is amazing.

PS, even if you have one there is nothing stopping you from still buying a nice book if it takes your fancy.
twp
Amphetamine Filth

Gary wrote:
stufarq wrote:
It uses E-ink technology, so pretty much the same as reading an actual book, having said that the background isn't quite white a sort of pale grey, so not quite as good. no pretty pictures though, well you can have grey scale ones ;)
all the better for being grey, you can read it in direct sunlight. Brilliant device, not going back to paper.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I have one that I was bought for my last birthday and although I was a little sceptical at first, it took me all of about half a second using the thing to be converted. There's no issue with eye-strain, I've even bought the Kindle edition of The Lord Of The Rings despite owning three dead-tree copies. :lol:

Get one. You won't regret it.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

If you don't like it you can use it for kindle...ie: burn it. But might be a good idea whether you choose to download all the books ya want or carry twenty or so boxes of books each time you move. I prefer the workout.
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"