bury me deep + Greetings

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
susky
Road Kill

Hello there. My name is Scott. I live in Pennsylvania, US. I've been in quite a nostalgic tailspin lately with the old Sisters stuff and after stalking the heartland site for last few weeks, figured I'd say hi. As for me, I first heard the Sisters in 1992 as a teenager. I heard "Marian" at a party and that was that. I bought First and Last on vinyl in nyc that same summer. Couple weeks later the record physically melted in the backseat of my car on an ungoldy hot day! Luckily I had dubbed side A onto a blank tape beforehand. Week or so later, I headed out to Venus Records on St Marks in greenwich village nyc to buy the cd but they didn't have it. Guy behind the counter handed me Some Girls Wander CD instead. I got really really into the brooding, early to mid 80's Sisters stuff...Reptile House has been an absolute anthem ever since. I'm enjoying reading a lot of the old posts.

Also, quick question....I still have my old Sisters vinyl LP's and singles, etc but haven't had a working turntable in ages. I have all the albums on CD and the early e.p.'s on the Some Girls Wander cd but I'm wondering if any of those other 1984-1985 singles were ever pressed on cd? Stuff like Walk Away 12", No Time to Cry 12", Body and Soul 12". Is there anywhere to get those on cd or mp3? Would love to get stuff like "Bury Me Deep", "Afterhours" into the old CD player or ipod. I'm not looking for freebies, I'd gladly pay for the mp3's or CD but I don't see any of that stuff in itunes, etc. Maybe there was a comp cd released at some point with all that stuff? Any ideas? Thanks.

Cheers! Scott
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

They're all on the First And Last And Always CD remaster.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Dr Poo
Amphetamine Filth

You should check out the 2006 release of F&L&A. It contains most of the b-sides from that era with the exception of the Body and Soul.12".
susky
Road Kill

Hey, thanks for the info. Just found and downloaded mp3's of the No Time to Cry b-sides from amazon. "Bury Me Deep" on the stereo here at last. Haven't heard it in ages. Probably end up buying the darn remaster cd anyway. Any extras in the packaging? Photos, commentary, etc?
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hi Scott, welcome! I don't have it in front of me right now, but yes, the reissue has some nice liner notes by Eldritch. Photos, I'm not sure, maybe not.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Hi there, Scott ... and welcome here ... ;D ...

You can find plenty information (including photos and track lists) on FALAA issues here ... :wink: ...

http://www.ultimatesistersguide.org/doc ... .htm#FALAA
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Hello Scott,while you are spending money,you might want to pick up the remastered version of Floodland as well,worth it for Emma alone!
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Sita wrote:Hi Scott, welcome! I don't have it in front of me right now, but yes, the reissue has some nice liner notes by Eldritch. Photos, I'm not sure, maybe not.
The sleeve notes on all three remasters are by Michael Bonner. Eldritch is quoted a couple of times but he had no involvement with the releases and wasn't even consulted.
susky
Road Kill

Hey there Sita / stufarq / Being645 / ribbons69 / Dr Poo. Thanks for the great info.

The www.ultimatesistersguide.org site is blowing my mind at the moment! Thanks for that.

As for the Floodland reissue, I might just take the leap and buy that one too. Thanks for the tip. Not sure if I've ever heard the b-sides on the Floodland singles? I had all the First and Last singles on vinyl as well as the earlier ep's but I don't think I had any of the Floodland stuff. Can't remember. As for "Emma" on the Floodland reissue, is it a studio recording? My girlfriend surprised me with a Sisters book/cd thing for Christmas in 1993. She special ordered it from our rinky dink, hometown music shop back then. I have it here somewhere, can't recall the name but it was a book of lyrics/pictures and had one of those mini-cd's attached with "Emma" (and I think "Ghost Rider" too). Loved the live "Emma" version. Curious about the origins of the version on the Floodland reissue?

OK, thanks again for all the great info!
Kutan
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

"Emma" on the Floodland reissue is a studio recording from the Floodland era, first appearing on the b-side of the Dominion 12".

The "book/cd thing" was called "Life". I also had one of those, although in book/7" version.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

susky wrote: The www.ultimatesistersguide.org site is blowing my mind at the moment! Thanks for that.

OK, thanks again for all the great info!
The thanks for that should all go to Patti82 ... ;D ;D ;D ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... for that and for ... well, you might check the Sharing section ... :lol: ...
SteBacchus
Amphetamine Filth

Hi, welcome to heartland :)
I don't doubt and I don't take direction....
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

susky wrote:Hey, thanks for the info. Just found and downloaded mp3's of the No Time to Cry b-sides from amazon. "Bury Me Deep" on the stereo here at last. Haven't heard it in ages. Probably end up buying the darn remaster cd anyway. Any extras in the packaging? Photos, commentary, etc?
i know i'm not actually answering your question, but i'd like to point out that the booklet accompanying the remastered vision thing quotes our interview with andreas bruhn ;D :innocent:

sorry for the interruption :lol:

welcome to our happy home 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Welcome! 8)
"as we walk on the floodland"
Sita

stufarq wrote:The sleeve notes on all three remasters are by Michael Bonner. Eldritch is quoted a couple of times but he had no involvement with the releases and wasn't even consulted.
Oops, you're right of course. Don't know how, but I made myself believe that the Spiggy the Cat tale was on the re-release. :oops:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Sita wrote:
stufarq wrote:The sleeve notes on all three remasters are by Michael Bonner. Eldritch is quoted a couple of times but he had no involvement with the releases and wasn't even consulted.
Oops, you're right of course. Don't know how, but I made myself believe that the Spiggy the Cat tale was on the re-release. :oops:
That's SGWBM isn't it? Or is it Postcards? Both written by Eldritch as far as I recall.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

susky wrote:Hey there Sita / stufarq / Being645 / ribbons69 / Dr Poo. Thanks for the great info.

The www.ultimatesistersguide.org site is blowing my mind at the moment! Thanks for that.

As for the Floodland reissue, I might just take the leap and buy that one too. Thanks for the tip. Not sure if I've ever heard the b-sides on the Floodland singles?
No probs and yes, www.ultimatesistersguide.org is a great site. Run by our own Patti82.

As for the Floodland b-sides, as well as Emma, the remaster has Torch and Colours but is missing Untitled, Sandstorm and Ozzymandias but those are all just thinly disguised offcuts from Dominion. There's also the "full length" version of Never Land that's really just sewn together from leftovers. But Emma really is awesome.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
susky
Road Kill

Hey there SteBacchus / Quiff Boy / Ozpat. Thanks to everyone for the great info!

Haven't ordered the Floodland re-issue yet but I think it's imminent! Very excited to hear the Emma studio version and the other b-sides. Always loved the bootleg live versions of it. Speaking of bootlegs, heading into the cobwebbed attic later today to search for any old Sisters ephemera that landed in storage after my latest move. Indeed, the book/cd was called "Life". Didn't realize it had been pressed on 7" also. Interesting. If memory serves me, my girlfriend and I cut that book up into pieces to decorate our apartment with pics of Andrew and co at the time! Or it might have been the Heartland zine that got the scissor treatment? Memory fails. Looking forward to digging that stuff up later on and revisiting.

In other news, I have yet to come up for air with the www.ultimatesistersguide.org site. Amazing.

Cheers!
Patti82

Glad you like it susky - hopefully I will come up with a simpler way to update it and keeping it up to date. Enjoy what is there at the moment :)
paul
Overbomber

Welcome Scott!
susky
Road Kill

Thanks for the tip on the "Emma" studio version a moment ago. Just bought the Floodland bonus tracks through itunes. On the stereo now. Never heard this studio version until now. Subdued and stirring compared to the quicker live versions I've heard over the years. Brilliant!! Thanks again for the info.
Kutan

While we are talking about studio versions of Emma: You should definitely check out the 1984 Peel Session because Emma is included there also and there it features Eldritch/Marx/Adams/Hussey. Used to be available in crappy sound on bootlegs in former times, but nowadays we have digital audio broadcast from the BBC...

and the Sharing section
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

There's another demo version of Emma as well I seem to recall.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Kutan

Yes, there is, but it's missing certain guitar tracks.

It's the one on Victims Of Circumstance, IIRC. It sounds great, but it's not "complete".
susky
Road Kill

Kutan wrote:You should definitely check out the 1984 Peel Session because Emma is included there also and there it features Eldritch/Marx/Adams/Hussey. Used to be available in crappy sound on bootlegs in former times, but nowadays we have digital audio broadcast from the BBC...

and the Sharing section
Thanks! Just found a download of something called "The Sisters of Mercy - The Peel Sessions". Got it on the stereo here now.

Incredible to hear Andre pull off those high-pitch screeches at the end of "1969" live!!

Has Sept 82 & July 84 sessions. Was this officially released or boot? Image from the blog I found it on: