Sisters Artwork - Themes /Origins

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

H. Blackrose wrote:
Big Si wrote: Nup, I still remember the interview I heard where he said he quit because he didn't want to go to Peking because of it's small size and he wouldn't be allowed to travel anywhere. :|
I remember that same interview, although I can't find it online, and the point was that foreign students in Peking (pre- the market reforms era) would be confined to a very small area of this huge city. Plus the winters are effin' freezing.
In fact, I also remember this imterview ... seems there are various different sources with different information ...
Randall Flagg wrote:Nah, I was hoping for more specifics than just "supposedly".

More than that, and given the extremely consistent and corporate approach to the band, the MR label, font, image and identity I still find the DD sleeve fascinating and was hoping someone out there might know more, especially given the high quality information ref Body Electric, Alice and others.

Flagg
Yes, I also find it fascinating ... always wondered whether it showed a furneral, a communion or just some ordinary mass ... would be interesting to know,
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

Randall Flagg wrote:Nah, I was hoping for more specifics than just "supposedly".

More than that, and given the extremely consistent and corporate approach to the band, the MR label, font, image and identity I still find the DD sleeve fascinating and was hoping someone out there might know more, especially given the high quality information ref Body Electric, Alice and others.

Flagg
I am intrigued too... If it was a picuture of a silent movie I am curious of the name of it...
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
susky
Road Kill

lachert wrote:poor that "1959 and all that" doesn't work anymore :( iirc there was a few information about sistres covers, as cooper's anaconda, national geographic's reptile house etc. :wink:

This is incredible. I've been staring at the coverart for the e.p. for nearly 20 years framed on my wall in my office. I had previously heard the story of the National Georgraphic source but never saw the original pics until viewing this thread. Incredible. Any idea of the specific issue/edition of National Geographic which housed the image that inspired the Reptile House e.p. coverart? Date/Issue #/etc? Very cool.
susky
Road Kill

lachert wrote:poor that "1959 and all that" doesn't work anymore :( iirc there was a few information about sistres covers, as cooper's anaconda, national geographic's reptile house etc. :wink:

Ahhh....might have found it. The pic in the link below kinda looks like the coverart. Aside from the obvious ink-stamp effect, I'm wondering if the image was reworked a bit for the sleeve?

From "The Mekong: River of Terror and Hope," December 1968, National Geographic magazine

http://photography.nationalgeographic.c ... image.html
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

cardoman wrote:

Flagg
I am intrigued too... If it was a picuture of a silent movie I am curious of the name of it...
I think it would be nice if it were something to do with St Mary's Church Guilford and Dodgson in particular, but I'm not sure
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:!:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

None the wiser but that pic of St Mary's is obviously a bootleg cos it hasn't got the cross.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Kutan
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:None the wiser but that pic of St Mary's is obviously a bootleg cos it hasn't got the cross.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

stufarq wrote:None the wiser but that pic of St Mary's is obviously a bootleg cos it hasn't got the cross.
Nah, it's had it's cross replaced since Dodgson's day :P
Goths have feelings too