Who are the best Sisters substitute?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Back in time wrote:
Machine Regime wrote:
They know we all know Sisters circa 2006-2011 have been writing bollock-all together, and the current line-up is basically a bit of a standing joke not just with us 'hardcore sisnerds', but with the general gig/festival-going public, who are evidently still up for the retread thing to a point, but I imagine also actually have a lot on.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The sound that Ben and Chris make today is just as good as any that was made before. I also believe that they are much more involved than just playing as a hired hands.
I totally agree that as performers they Chris and Ben are class - but on what do you base your belief about the depth of their involvement - involvement in what?
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Machine Regime wrote:I totally agree that as performers they Chris and Ben are class - but on what do you base your belief about the depth of their involvement - involvement in what?
well, chris is also press & media relations and tour manager these days :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm not surprised to hear that. I met him briefly in Leeds and I had the impression he was this kind of active person who is good with people and organising things. Not from anything he said (I was just asking for an autograph) but just the overall vibe about him.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i think he's certainly the most organised, but also the most motivated and connected.

it also helps that he's based in leeds so can be in regular touch with andy and si, unlike ben who's in london.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
sultan2075
Overbomber

I'm inclined to the view that if (pretty big if!) there were to be another record, Chris would probably be the motivating force behind it.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:I'm inclined to the view that if (pretty big if!) there were to be another record, Chris would probably be the motivating force behind it.
Likewise.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Ball's in your court, Chris 8)
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Being645
Wiki Wizard

markfiend wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:I'm inclined to the view that if (pretty big if!) there were to be another record, Chris would probably be the motivating force behind it.
Likewise.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

... without sufficient motivation on the part of

...:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: ... :von: :!: :von: :!: :von: :!: :von: :!: :von: :!: ... :von: :!: :von: :!: :von: :!: :von: :!: ... :von: :!: :von: :!: :von: :!: ... :von: :!: :von: :!: ... :von: ... :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

... no driving force will be strong enough to make that happen ...

Come on Eldritch, you know you want it (too) ... ;D ;D ;D :lol: ... :twisted: ... :eek: :oops: ... well, presumably not ... :innocent: ...

* I don't mind, anyway. The Sisters' songs are nowadays as useful and real as ever ... apart from minor settings which are clearly being adjusted steadily ...
And one never knows what other people need from their life ... so, that gotta be their decision ... altough in this f**king world hardly anyone can afford to
have their decision about their life ... and even if, there's still no guarantee to get to where/what one wants or needs/to be ... one can only give it a try ... :|

... and maybe find pleasure, joy and recreation within ...
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

All his talk is a bit like masturbation - no substitute for the real thing !!!
vicus

just back on topic:

Tiamat - Skeleton Skeletron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqyjQ6-avK8
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Perhaps the audience were Sisters fans who were just waiting for the title track of Mourning Sun as a substitute for Some Kind Of Stranger in the same way as I used to enjoy the into to Elastica's Stutter as a hommage to Adrenochrome.
Does anyone know of other songs which have been "heavily influenced" (choosing words carefully for legal reasons) by a track by the Girls ?
no it were suicide commando and diary of dreams fans.

http://www.shadowplayfestival.be/nl

On this page above they are talking too about the sisters and ulterior.
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
susky
Road Kill

vicus wrote:just back on topic:

Ah ha! Still a shock to see/hear this even though it's over a decade old! That bald, bull fighter with the Andrew Eldritch drawl in the vid will, to me, always be Mr "Lucifer Hellslaughter" a name he went by in the late 80's / very early 90s when Tiamat were still playing underground doom/black metal. I remember hearing this in late 90's though. You can hear the Paradise Lost (Draconian Times) influence all over this Skeleton Skeletron thing. Of course, PL was heavily influenced by the Sisters so it's all full circle I suppose!
Being645
Wiki Wizard

vicus wrote:just back on topic:

Thank you for this.

There is no and never will be a substitute for The Sisters of Mercy.
Prescott

The Merry Thoughts. Whose lyrics, I'm afraid, are far from one dimensional. Also, it is true that their back catalog is out of print, yet Psychocult is very very available on iTunes.

tMt are easily the next best thing.

For something more current, I would have to say

miserylab
"... because we're that kind of people."
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

Then for added wit and poetry, the work of Mr. Nick Cave in all it's guises..[/quote]

Nice!!! (all its guises...and genuises)
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
sultan2075
Overbomber

Prescott wrote:The Merry Thoughts. Whose lyrics, I'm afraid, are far from one dimensional. Also, it is true that their back catalog is out of print, yet Psychocult is very very available on iTunes.

miserylab
"...far from one-dimensional"? Dude, how is this anything other than crap?
Some Wanker with Bad Taste wrote: Clad in pretence we face the face of future
And undercover frightened like a child
My order was revenge, now i'm worn out and torn
But you are my tower of power

Would you be my pale empress
My haven in the gale
Would you be my shelter strong
So, would you be my empress
So strong and yet so pale
Would you sing our, sing our
Sing our empire song

I sought some refuge, sought it in your shadow
But shadows are much taller than you are
And our country is a land of tumbling walls
I thought you were, i never saw you are

My haven in the gale
Sing our empire song
That's just laughably bad. You Could Be The One it ain't.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Prescott

sultan2075 wrote:
Prescott wrote:The Merry Thoughts. Whose lyrics, I'm afraid, are far from one dimensional. Also, it is true that their back catalog is out of print, yet Psychocult is very very available on iTunes.

miserylab
"...far from one-dimensional"? Dude, how is this anything other than crap?
Some Wanker with Bad Taste wrote: Clad in pretence we face the face of future
And undercover frightened like a child
My order was revenge, now i'm worn out and torn
But you are my tower of power

My haven in the gale
Sing our empire song

I sought some refuge, sought it in your shadow
But shadows are much taller than you are
And our country is a land of tumbling walls
I thought you were, i never saw you are

My haven in the gale
Sing our empire song
That's just laughably bad. You Could Be The One it ain't.
You know you picked the easiest song of their's to poke fun at, as it's easily the most straight forward. It's no worse or better lyrically than "Walk Away" another extremely straight forward song.

"We Love To" "Heat" "Low Violet" "I Say" "Glory Boys" - try picking those apart lazily.
sultan2075
Overbomber

It's not a case of straight-forward songs. It's a case of good ones.

They're really not very good; they're stylistic apes without the insight, wit, subtlety or originality of their betters.

edit: really, what is the difference between them and a hundred other bands on Cleopatra records in the 90's? Even Rosetta Stone--who were pretty derivative--were better than these guys, because they at least did more (or less?) than shameless imitation.
--
Prescott

sultan2075 wrote:It's not a case of straight-forward songs. It's a case of good ones.

They're really not very good; they're stylistic apes without the insight, wit, subtlety or originality of their betters.

edit: really, what is the difference between them and a hundred other bands on Cleopatra records in the 90's? Even Rosetta Stone--who were pretty derivative--were better than these guys, because they at least did more (or less?) than shameless imitation.
"And some might say I'm growing cold,
Or maybe I've been sold to a dream,
Some might trust you what you've told,
But anyway to me you're too, serene."

"This is the time of tension, between dying and birth,
While blood is sowing the sandy earth.
This is the time of tension, when you starve
While you eat - this is the time of the heat."
Spiggy's hat

James Blast wrote:
moses wrote:I don't think that in the main people are naming reasonable 'subs' just other bands they really like, I mean The Smiths? FFS!
Oh I don't know James......A vocalist living off past glories, playing poor versions of his old bands hits from the 80s, to an adoring crowd of hardcore followers......yea, no comparison. :lol:
Give me one good reason
Memphis Rich
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

If you don't pay too close attention to the lyrics The Merry Thoughts can be a pleasant supplement, rather than a substitute, for the Sisters. The 'lyric dropping' is fun anyway.
Words are just turds
In sewers of sound
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I thought Pale Empress was quite deep

I thought it was about the imminent collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire

But I suppose you can read into lyrics what you want
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Sita

I didn't even know bands like that existed. You all made me curious so I searched them on youtube. Good grief :lol: I'm not even judging the lyrics, but come on, the song starts with a First and Last and Always riff ripoff, then a pseudo Eldritch voice kicks in, and you see an insect and a zombie or something on a chain. It's hard to define quality, but I know crap when I see it.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Prescott wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:It's not a case of straight-forward songs. It's a case of good ones.

That's... pretty terrible, actually. Really.
Sita wrote:I didn't even know bands like that existed. You all made me curious so I searched them on youtube. Good grief :lol: I'm not even judging the lyrics, but come on, the song starts with a First and Last and Always riff ripoff, then a pseudo Eldritch voice kicks in, and you see an insect and a zombie or something on a chain. It's hard to define quality, but I know crap when I see it.
That just about nails it. It's derivative to the point of being horrifying; it's imitation without anything else being brought to the party. On the other hand, at least no one is trying to claim that they're actually the Sisters in disguise...
--
Prescott

sultan2075 wrote:
Prescott wrote:

That's... pretty terrible, actually. Really.
Sita wrote:I didn't even know bands like that existed. You all made me curious so I searched them on youtube. Good grief :lol: I'm not even judging the lyrics, but come on, the song starts with a First and Last and Always riff ripoff, then a pseudo Eldritch voice kicks in, and you see an insect and a zombie or something on a chain. It's hard to define quality, but I know crap when I see it.
That just about nails it. It's derivative to the point of being horrifying; it's imitation without anything else being brought to the party. On the other hand, at least no one is trying to claim that they're actually the Sisters in disguise...
The stupid video on YouTube was not made by the band!

You dismissed those lyrics out of hand without so much as the most basic critical analysis.

You have always had an agenda and your last comment proves it. Why are you going out of your way to dissuade people from checking out The Merry Thoughts? Got a bone to pick?