Andrew Eldritch: Why won't you release a new Sisters LP?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
James Blast
Banned

James Blast wrote:I urge everyone who's posted on here to listen to what David Ford has to say on this podcast, go on take some time out
http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/d ... no-success
anyone listen to taht... nah, fought not :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

I prefer a decent Sisters gig every year. I don't want any new album. That's the stage i'm in right now.

How many songs can we sing along with the Cure since 1992?

And the Cure don't come up that often to play for us in nice venues and halls.

Even if there would be a new Sisters album, i wouldn't be excited. I wouldn't play it.

It lacks:

1) audience.

2) smoke.

3) T-shirts and beer for sale.

f**k you, record-beggars!
guns & cars & accidents
James Blast
Banned

Get Bent!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
paul
Overbomber

dinky daisy wrote: f**k you, record-beggars!
:lol:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

@James Blastksy: I tried to listen this but it's too long. :kiss:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

I listened but I'm not in the mood for comments. Thanks anyway.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

I got a damaged attention span ;D
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Listening now that I'm home, just to prove you wrong ;D but it IS kinda long!
James Blast
Banned

I'd hate this to be where it ends, not because I don't like it (I do) but, if this is the last studio based thaang TSOM does, at least we'll all know how good they can snoud :|
Give it a Name Suzanne. the .avi file from The Sisters site, waaaay back when

snouds very good, doesn't it?

just think what a little bit of Elbow grease could do to those 'mystery' new tunes and the one's we've only heard live, eh?
Last edited by James Blast on 19 Aug 2011, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

Sita wrote:Listening now that I'm home, just to prove you wrong ;D but it IS kinda long!
no attention span, not my fault
get educated :|
~ Peter Steele
Caravaggio
Road Kill

So I've read this whole thread and I also want to put in my two cents:

I don't think Eldritch will record songs, that are writen by people who are no longer in the band for more than 5 years now. So forget about:
Come Together (Pearson)
Crash & Burn (Pearson)
Summer (Pearson)
Susanne (Varjak)
Will I Dream (Pearson/Varjak)

Sisterswiki doesn't know who wrote the music for Slept and Romeo Down, so actually they might be Eldritch's songs (but I'm not very optimistic). I would kill to listen to proper studio-recordings of them, but on the other hand they are almost 10 years old...
War on Drugs is a nice one and writen by Eldritch, but they didn't play it for a long time for whatever reason.

Ben and Chris are in the band since 2005/6. What new songs have they done since then?
Still (like a Vision Thing B-side, but not as good as YCBTO)
Top Nite Out (Let's go get a beer before the last encores)
Arms (a ridiculous Millenium-Flood II-rip off...well I don't like it)
Far Parade (haha...)

So besides this whole "music production in the 21st century"-argument that you debate on for several pages now, what makes you all so optimistic about the current line-up actually being able to produce a record with 'let's say' 10 decent songs on it. Songs that you can play to your friends and say: "Listen! This is my favorite band!"
Don't get me wrong - I love the Sisters. Especially from '81 to '87. But the Eldritch-Christo-Catalyst-band also exists for 6 years now. Just compare the creative output...

IMHO Eldritch doesn't produce an album, because he knows that he would damage the Sisters' legacy. Just listen to the stuff Chris Catalyst is doing with his other band and you know what I mean. Even Jim Steinman could not save them from embarrassing themselves.

So for me, it's OK to go to gigs every 1 or 2 years, listen to the old records and watch crappy Youtube-videos. Contemporary music (mostly) sucks anyway.
There have been better plans
But none that I could ever understand...
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

Caravaggio wrote: But the Eldritch-Christo-Catalyst-band also exists for 6 years now. Just compare the creative output...
The problem is that Von does not write good songs anymore. The best songs used to be Von songs. Now other people write the songs and, it seems, Von is even to lazy to write good lyrics for them.

I have said it before and I will say it again. The reason we will never get a new album is because Von can not be arsed.

So I say give us a good sounding live album with the new songs.
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

@Caravaggio

Top Nite Out is also from the pre-christo/catalyst era^^

I don't see no reason why they couldn't release something INCLUDING the stuff from Pearson & co. except legal/contract issues maybe.

I think the only reason is that Von might not be OK to release anything "independent" because he still kept certain expectations in terms of success. But on the other hand he can't make some kind of public impact without the help of the major labels. THat's probably the reason why he still sounds annoyed if he's talking about record companies. It's not working without them but it's also not working if you play along (from his point of view)..

I'm shure something will show up once he's too old to get up the stage (retirement provision)^^
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Carvaggio is totally right about the lack of material to record even if the other, more technical objections were overcome.
In the legendary HL interview, Gary Marx talks of the embarrassment of having to explain the lack of new songs even back in the seemingly prolific mid 80s !

Interesting, though, to compare :von: 's minimalistic approach to 'live' shows in the recent NZ radio interview - playing some rock'n'roll then f*cking back off up the motorway - with Peter Murphy's similarly back to basics approach for his critically acclaimed comeback album Ninth, as expressed in an interview with the LA Times : "The whole intention was to really reference that spark and crackle of people playing together in a room...You don't need to spend $3 years and $4 million on an album...It's full of swagger and immediacy".
Sita

You see similarity there? :eek:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote: In the legendary HL interview, Gary Marx talks of the embarrassment of having to explain the lack of new songs even back in the seemingly prolific mid 80s !
... :lol: ... oh yes, VON was facing difficulties at that time which are now somewhat outlived ... :twisted: :lol: ... ;D :lol: ...
Prescott

James Blast wrote:
James Blast wrote:I urge everyone who's posted on here to listen to what David Ford has to say on this podcast, go on take some time out
http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/d ... no-success
anyone listen to taht... nah, fought not :|
Yes I listened to the whole thing. I'm struggling to see how this interview and what was said in it changes the dynamics of the point of this thread? Many of the issues he raises have already been raised here and summarily dismissed as irrelevant.

I also finally got around to listening to that 13th floor interview. I think Andrew's cat happened to be more straight-forward. He was as evasive as ever wasn't he?

On the topic of YouTube: "You're fine with that?"

"Yeah."

God, he sounded so defeated, the way he said "Yeah."

I also noticed that he started to say, twice, that he didn't think there would be another birthday, yet each time trailed off and didn't say why.

:(

Please don't ever give up Andrew. The unreleased songs are brilliant, you and Adam and the songs deserve for them to see the light of day as some kind of recording.

And you're wrong. Plenty of us would love a soundboard, only slightly mixed-down Live Album, as long as it included all the unreleased songs. :D
"... because we're that kind of people."
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

Prescott wrote:
James Blast wrote:
James Blast wrote: And you're wrong. Plenty of us would love a soundboard, only slightly mixed-down Live Album, as long as it included all the unreleased songs. :D
That is my hope right now. I am not even sure I want a new studio album. But what I do want is the "new" songs with good sound.
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing
Sita

Prescott wrote: And you're wrong. Plenty of us would love a soundboard, only slightly mixed-down Live Album, as long as it included all the unreleased songs. :D
Agreed! :notworthy:
Personally I don't even care about the unreleased songs. Eldritch's voice is brilliant, I could listen to that for hours. It's weird, it shouldn't rightfully be so good, with him smoking and (presumably) giving a damn about everything. Whilst a full blood musician like Bryan Ferry got a voice that became quite croaky.
The Sisters are so good live right now - much better than when I saw them in '90 or so with Bruhn and this clown with the top hat - Andrew's voice, Ben's lead guitar, and Chris, it's a shame you can only re-listen to all this through the audience's chatter in a non-existing mix.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Sita wrote: The Sisters are so good live right now - much better than when I saw them in '90 or so with Bruhn and this clown with the top hat
I missed the early 90's. This was the first concert I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkCvXog3F2s

and that is, according to me, a pretty damn much better band than today, which only to some degree depends on that the guitars were more groovy than today - most of all, the front man was present! Just watch him - he is actually there, singing Burn with emotion and dedication! When did you see him like that the last time? Not with Ben&Chris anyway.

Yes they do sound good today, but sound is not everything, far from it.
Sita

Tbh I haven't, when I saw them it seemed like each of them was either sedated or very very bored, so I had a hard time not falling asleep too. I assumed it was just their style and had no intention of going to a Sisters gig again :lol: completely missed that phase from your vid.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

euphoria wrote:I missed the early 90's. This was the first concert I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkCvXog3F2s

and that is, according to me, a pretty damn much better band than today, which only to some degree depends on that the guitars were more groovy than today - most of all, the front man was present! Just watch him - he is actually there, singing Burn with emotion and dedication! When did you see him like that the last time? Not with Ben&Chris anyway.
Oh, I saw them ... last time in Helsinki ... or in Paris, in Berlin, in Vienna, in Leeds ... and they have not lost the least bit of their presence ...

In addition, I'm sure the weight of some (forgotten) cost which might have accumulated during some 15 years could be shaken off like dust in a quarter of a second ...

You are right though, euphoria ... 1997 was one of their best years ...
it's just incredible, they couldn't manage to get a contract and missed to make another record back then ...
and surely Eldritch does have a few more "new" songs from that time hidden in the entirely last corner of his sideboard ...
I really can't tell how sick I feel (and how sick I felt then and millions of times in the meantime) when I think of this ... this waste ... this saddening waste ...
but they had to do their Event Horizon Thing and let it all ... just pass, no matter of any further concern, obviously ... :( ... :innocent: ...

@ sita

... :lol: ...

I didn't see them in 1991/2 but you can even hear it from the recordings ...
though somewhat deeper into the gigs, they usually picked up ...
well, Eldritch first, who sang himself into some ecstatic condition and pulled all the rest up through ... :lol: ...

* ok, this might be good enough for a joke now, but in fact I've always assumed it wasn't all that funny ...
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote: You are right though, euphoria ... 1997 was one of their best years ...
it's just incredible, they couldn't manage to get a contract and missed to make another record back then ...
and surely Eldritch does have a few more "new" songs from that time hidden in the entirely last corner of his sideboard ...
I really can't tell how sick I feel (and how sick I felt then and millions of times in the meantime) when I think of this ... this waste ... this saddening waste ...
but they had to do their Event Horizon Thing and let it all ... just pass, no matter of any further concern, obviously ... :( ... :innocent: ...
I believe the great loss was getting rid of/losing (whichever it is, I still don't know) Mike Varjak. Sure, we got Crash&Burn, the best of the new songs after he had left, but with Varjak the setlists were amazing, and always different.

His last gig with the Sisters:
http://tours.tsom.org/1999ttpe/concerts/19991021.htm

So, they had 3 encores planned (when did we have that last time?) and gave a 4th! :notworthy:

Anyway, where were we? :lol: Yeah, I guess Eldritch slowly lost his motivation over the years, and now there's none left. It doesn't matter what possibilites there are, he doesn't want to anymore.
damagedone

Live dvd or whatever with some decent mixing would be pretty good(of coarse with most of the "new" songs),but i really doubt it.In a thread not too long ago someone posted a link to a site where there were a work in progress live dvd.I doubt it's official but as far as it sounds good is better than nothing.

I don't see how a new album would disappoint in terms of choice of songs.
Most of these "new'' ones are pretty ok,of coarse that fuckin' rights thing seems to be a bit of a problem.But even without some of them,it would still be better than nothing.Everything would be better than nothing :D

I was thinking that :von: hasn't mentioned anything about politic stuff or whatever related to politics the last decade of interviews.Not sure why i say it,just came to mind.
Keep Music Evil
Being645
Wiki Wizard

euphoria wrote:
Being645 wrote: You are right though, euphoria ... 1997 was one of their best years ...
I believe the great loss was getting rid of/losing (whichever it is, I still don't know) Mike Varjak. Sure, we got Crash&Burn, the best of the new songs after he had left, but with Varjak the setlists were amazing, and always different.

His last gig with the Sisters:
http://tours.tsom.org/1999ttpe/concerts/19991021.htm

So, they had 3 encores planned (when did we have that last time?) and gave a 4th! :notworthy:

Anyway, where were we? :lol: Yeah, I guess Eldritch slowly lost his motivation over the years, and now there's none left. It doesn't matter what possibilites there are, he doesn't want to anymore.
Oh yeah, where were weImage ... :lol: ...

Ah yes: he's lost all his motivation - with time ... :cry: :cry: :cry: ... - and now there's nothing left ... :cry: :cry: :cry: ...

and he never ever wants to make a record again ... :evil: :evil: :evil: ... no matter what ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ...

Hey now, please. We're in 2011 ... ;D ;D ;D ... i.e. in quite a different time and world,
one with Chris, and Ben, and Si, and a few more people doing their job very well, obviously ...
a world with some more gigs to come and, I guess, tour plans up until 2013 ... so, no time to cry or make a record, either ... :lol: :wink: ... although ...
Pista wrote: He recently talked about taking the band back to how it started (in the NZ phone call with his cat playing a star role).
He stated that they were the band that played shows & yet never released stuff.Well, I might be missing something, but Damage Done, Body Electric, Alice, Anaconda...etc. seemed to be "releases" or was I dreaming that bit?
That says it all, Steve! ... :lol: :notworthy: ...

@ damagedone ... yes, I have noticed that as well ... :innocent: ...