Who are the best Sisters substitute?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

kafka wrote:Bloody hell, people. Try to listen to something a little contemporary, eh? And a little... good?

How about The National, or, at a pinch, Editors?

Or, Disappears are doing the Suicide thing pretty well, right now...

G
Eh? If (when) tMt release a new album, that would make them very "current" I would think. More current than the Sisters, that's for sure. ;)
"... because we're that kind of people."
sultan2075
Overbomber

kafka wrote:Bloody hell, people. Try to listen to something a little contemporary, eh? And a little... good?

G
I've not heard the National. I checked out the Editors on the recommendation of someone on this board (perhaps you), and found the record to be underwhelming.

I do like the most recent Shriekback record quite a bit. Does that count as contemporary?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

The Nationals has nice songs and i do mean nice, fine tunes. Nothing really new but that's not bad since it's not pure ripping, it's more in convenction of classic songwirting with touch of folk. Editors ripping form 80's post punk scene but they're better that White Lies 'cause thet ripping from Editors with really bad lyrics.
On topic: i can't found good substitutions for TSOM, they were good at their time (what i cannot personaly witnessed/experienced), they still have very good lyrics (which it's not less important than music for me); now it's just nice light show with bit of chugga-chugga music. Closest with almost every meaning (without fog and light) is local band Lech Janerka- same fine songs and great, brilinat, wit and a bit sarcastic lyrics and leader also struggling with lack of creativity. At least he's not hiding it.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

There is also no substitute for Ministry, for Bohren, for Nadja, for Mulattica, for Louis Armstrong... stop looking for them people.

The only thing you can search for is similar bands, and that's called a 'genre'.

Search for Gothic, Wave and Stadium Rock in a search robot of choice.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

The National write excellent songs with (importantly for me) decent lyrics. The Merry Thoughts write drivel that (they think) aspires to the Sisters.

If you've not listened to Editors in a while, check out their latest, 'In this light and on this evening.' It's quite different from the older stuff, and you might like it. I think the hook from Papillon is great, for example-- "it kicks like a sleep twitch".

At any rate, I suppose my point is that to my mind the "best sisters substitute" is never going to be one of the daft derivative goth bands most people here seem to be citing, and you're really missing out if those are all you limit yourselves to--particularly since half the bands mentioned haven't released a thing in decades... and there's so much great new stuff out there that deserves a listen, particularly if you stretch out a little from the 'goth' genre.
[repeat x40]
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Half Man Half Biscuit! Still going strong! :notworthy:
The Chancer Corporation
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

kafka wrote:to my mind the "best sisters substitute" is never going to be one of the daft derivative goth bands most people here seem to be citing, and you're really missing out if those are all you limit yourselves to--particularly since half the bands mentioned haven't released a thing in decades... and there's so much great new stuff out there that deserves a listen, particularly if you stretch out a little from the 'goth' genre.
Totally agree :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

kafka wrote:The Merry Thoughts write drivel that (they think) aspires to the Sisters.
Now you've gone and done it! You're absolutely right, of course. Utter garbage.

kafka wrote: If you've not listened to Editors in a while, check out their latest, 'In this light and on this evening.' It's quite different from the older stuff, and you might like it. I think the hook from Papillon is great, for example-- "it kicks like a sleep twitch".

At any rate, I suppose my point is that to my mind the "best sisters substitute" is never going to be one of the daft derivative goth bands most people here seem to be citing, and you're really missing out if those are all you limit yourselves to--particularly since half the bands mentioned haven't released a thing in decades... and there's so much great new stuff out there that deserves a listen, particularly if you stretch out a little from the 'goth' genre.
Sounds about right to me. What makes the Sisters the Sisters is mostly the fact that Von writes good songs, when he's bothered. So one who likes them ought to seek out other artists who write good songs, irrespective of genre.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

Machine Regime wrote:Anybody got any recommendations? The girls' back catalogue is, for me, definitevely unbeatable - but I've been going a little stir crazy fantasizing about what the new material that'll never materialize will sound like.

For me the problem with the Sisters is not the lack of new product, but rather that they're so good just about everyone who CAN be f**ked to still create new songs seem a little naff in comparison. I am seeking professional help :wink:

Be that as it may, I'm open to whatever - what've you got?
Let me recommend... giving this a twirl, especially tracks 2 & 4...

http://someplaceburned.bandcamp.com/alb ... s-of-sound
Sita

If we can stretch to other genres, then -

Arvo Pärt. Don't be put off if you accidentally run into early experimental or 12tone pieces first. His later work is epic. My favourites are the short pieces Festina Lente, Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten, Fratres, De Profundis, and the album "Miserere".
He's an Estonian composer on the German avantgarde label ECM. They have some good stuff anyway (and some not so :urff: :lol:).
You really need to be in the mood though, at least if I'm not, I find it botheringly repetitive and esoteric. But when I'm in the mood, I find it quite soul shaking.
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

I find the National and the Editors to be the same old indie pop rock. They seem more akin to the Smiths.

I've found the most interesting pop music to be coming out of Asia...

Sa Dingding from China...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPIBXhrC1yo

Gummy from Korea...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9rzeWfB03w

A total guilty pleasure here... 2NE1 (one of the hottest groups on the planet right now) from Korea...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihi_kJJj_8A
Sita

Just how funny is that? Guilty too! Besides both Sa Dingding albums and a lot of other stuff, I own almost each Jay Chou album ;D

The rest of you guys who don't know what we are talking about, you absolutely must watch:
Jay Chou - Huo Yuan Jia (Fearless) ... was the theme for a Jet Li movie, and legend is that Jay Chou reveres Jet Li so much that he made the song as a gift.

(Youtube Germany blocked it, like everything, so with a German IP you need to view it via Hidemyass or something alike)
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Sita wrote:If we can stretch to other genres, then -

Arvo Pärt. Don't be put off if you accidentally run into early experimental or 12tone pieces first. His later work is epic. My favourites are the short pieces Festina Lente, Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten, Fratres, De Profundis, and the album "Miserere".
He's an Estonian composer on the German avantgarde label ECM. They have some good stuff anyway (and some not so :urff: :lol:).
You really need to be in the mood though, at least if I'm not, I find it botheringly repetitive and esoteric. But when I'm in the mood, I find it quite soul shaking.
Arvo is Göd! ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

G
Because only new stuff is good? I suppose you use one of those retarded mobile phones that doesn't have any buttons? f**k contemporary. Only oldskool is real.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

AdrenaChris wrote:

G
Because only new stuff is good? I suppose you use one of those retarded mobile phones that doesn't have any buttons? f**k contemporary. Only oldskool is real.
If it's good enough, it's new enough. Real class - Velvets, Sisters, Young Gods, Muse - is ageless.
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

:lol: Then again, Culture Club is old school.

Oh, you might want to put down the antenna on your mobile, mate, birds are starting to land in it. :innocent:
replicant
Road Kill

Newish band called O.Children are worth a listen. They haven't quite got the lyrical quality yet, but I think they have potential.
Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

Any band that actually releases albums and changes the setlist between tours haha.

But seriously:
Mogwai
The Raveonettes
Neurosis
Swans
The Fall
The Horrors
Jesu
Pale Sketcher
We fell to earth
The Future of the left
etc
etc
etc etc
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing
sultan2075
Overbomber

replicant wrote:Newish band called O.Children are worth a listen. They haven't quite got the lyrical quality yet, but I think they have potential.
Huh. I was listening to them on the way to work this morning. They do have the potential to be a good band. They need to be a bit more rock, though. Some should give 'em some Slayer records ;)

And yeah, what Mussolini said above me.
--
Memphis Rich
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Anyone heard the "Insight of Trinity" demo EP?
Words are just turds
In sewers of sound
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

G
Why don't you try something contemporary instead of the same 80s knock-off bands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbHzdG2bR1A

For example. Some people push music forward, others just repackage the old to the new generation.
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

Didn't read past page 2.

For straight Sisters clones you have the Merry Thoughts, For Sisters contemporaries you have Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, for older & better then the Sisters (better than the sisters? yes absoloutely, but that applies to ONLY this band and no others) you do of course have Joy Division. (You thought I was going to say Motorhead?) /already mentioned

As for bands currently making music I would have scratched my head and shrugged and suggested Interpol, but sadly their latest album is a piece of wank, so...

Edit: just read the last page. To me, the Editors are to Interpol as say, Fields of the Nephilim are to the Sisters. Make of that what you will.
centurionofprix

Obvious, but the Die Krupps remix wasn't mentioned so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh41RQj1z9k

Are there any other known remixes by Eldritch? (or other Sisters)
DeWinter

Elystan wrote: Edit: just read the last page. To me, the Editors are to Interpol as say, Fields of the Nephilim are to the Sisters. Make of that what you will.
I defy anyone to tell me Vision Thing is superior to Elyzium with a straight face..but then again FALAA slaps The Nephilim around the face with it's glans.
Swings and roondaboots.

I actually didn't mind The Merry Thoughts cover of Hazel O' Connor's "Will You?". If I didn't know better I'd have said it was Old Sarky Sourpuss Misanthropy himself dusting off the vocal chords on it. My beloved Neffs have a similar complete rip-off band called Garden of Delight who don't have an original bone in their body. I wonder if there's a Mish clone band?
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Drenchrom

DeWinter wrote:
Elystan wrote: Edit: just read the last page. To me, the Editors are to Interpol as say, Fields of the Nephilim are to the Sisters. Make of that what you will.
I defy anyone to tell me Vision Thing is superior to Elyzium with a straight face..but then again FALAA slaps The Nephilim around the face with it's glans.
Swings and roondaboots.

I actually didn't mind The Merry Thoughts cover of Hazel O' Connor's "Will You?". If I didn't know better I'd have said it was Old Sarky Sourpuss Misanthropy himself dusting off the vocal chords on it. My beloved Neffs have a similar complete rip-off band called Garden of Delight who don't have an original bone in their body. I wonder if there's a Mish clone band?
Yes they do, the main one was Funhouse from Sweden i think.