The Election Thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
And FWIW, I think Maisey has a point: we can always hope that the Liberal side of the coalition are going to moderate any of the worse ideas the Tories have.

Must admit, I'm kind of clinging to that one myself. :|
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
abridged
Slight Overbomber

If I were a devious Tory Central Office type, I'd wait a couple of years, engineer something the Lib Dems can be blamed for, green taxes or the like, claims it's all their fault and call an election with the aim of gaining a majority, assuming the Labour Party haven't regained their popularity. Thankfully am not a Tory!
The Chancer Corporation
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Erudite wrote:
Maisey wrote:
Love how the slash fiction makes quite a point about Nick buggering Cameron and not the other way round.
As an old Etonian, he, Cameron, should be used to it! :innocent:
Have you seen his side profile?
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Well, they've cancelled I.D cards, and the third runway at Heathrow already. So that's more for civil liberties and the environment than Labour managed in 13 years.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:Well, they've cancelled I.D cards, and the third runway at Heathrow already. So that's more for civil liberties and the environment than Labour managed in 13 years.
And they'll share a car up to that by-election. I can breathe easier already :)
Four strings good, six strings bad
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:Well, they've cancelled I.D cards, and the third runway at Heathrow already. So that's more for civil liberties and the environment than Labour managed in 13 years.
Fair point. Every cloud...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

did anyone do the ConDemNation one yet?
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

oh my aching sides
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Did anyone see This Week, when they rolled the end credits over the footage of Cameregg in the Lurve Garden of No. 10... to the tune of Rolf Harris' Two Little Boys? :lol: Classic :notworthy:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
hellboy69

boudicca wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of...

"Pushing through the market sqaure / So many mothers sighing..."

y'all know the rest
:cry:
Meat Whiplash
Road Kill

there is no Eden, there never will be - we get what we deserve
It's all such a dreary fiction.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Maybe we should give them a chance. They haven't been in office five minutes and everyone's saying it's going to fall apart, respected journalists like Jon Snow are needling them to try and force cracks and the media focus is on their differences rather than their agreements. Sure they have differences but so do the individuals in any group. Even the members of a single party Cabinet have to compromise.

Instead of sneering, why don't we all just wait and see how they do? If they make a mess then by all means point the finger but so far I'd say it looks promising. Certainly more so than their predecessors.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

stufarq wrote:Maybe we should give them a chance. They haven't been in office five minutes and everyone's saying it's going to fall apart, respected journalists like Jon Snow are needling them to try and force cracks and the media focus is on their differences rather than their agreements.
Whereas of course they were so soft with Gordon Brown...

I'm glad to see that at least some of the media is turning on them a bit. The newspapers are largely biased towards the Tories (I think it was only the Mirror that explicitly backed Gordon in the last campaign, even the Grauniad jumped ship), and the BBC's election night coverage, with bloody David Dimbleby and Paxman, was a fcuking joke. I nearly lost my dinner the other day whilst watching BBC News 24 - the newsreader said "Just suspending my journalistic skepticism for one moment - this is really exciting isn't it?" Yes, just compromising my professional integrity for a second... eurgh! :evil:

Then, to brighten my day, I saw on the Scottish news that David Cameron had to slip in the side door when he went to visit the Scottish Parliament, because there was a mass of protesters chanting "TORIES OUT!" :lol:

Nope, I for one am already rubbing my hands in glee, in anticipation of this whole thing going t!ts up. I hope they limp along for a while though - mainly to show themselves up and so the other parties can get the money together to fight another election.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
Nope, I for one am already rubbing my hands in glee, in anticipation of this whole thing going t!ts up. I hope they limp along for a while though - mainly to show themselves up and so the other parties can get the money together to fight another election.
Then I think you're in for a disappointment.
Love it or loathe it, this is a shape of things to come until May 7th 2015.
While I by and largely detest everything the Tory party stands for, I don't think I could go back to voting Labour, at least not while it remains New Labour. :?

Help me, Jon Cruddas, you're my only hope!
DeWinter

boudicca wrote: Whereas of course they were so soft with Gordon Brown...

I'm glad to see that at least some of the media is turning on them a bit. The newspapers are largely biased towards the Tories (I think it was only the Mirror that explicitly backed Gordon in the last campaign, even the Grauniad jumped ship), and the BBC's election night coverage, with bloody David Dimbleby and Paxman, was a fcuking joke. I nearly lost my dinner the other day whilst watching BBC News 24 - the newsreader said "Just suspending my journalistic skepticism for one moment - this is really exciting isn't it?" Yes, just compromising my professional integrity for a second... eurgh! :evil:

Then, to brighten my day, I saw on the Scottish news that David Cameron had to slip in the side door when he went to visit the Scottish Parliament, because there was a mass of protesters chanting "TORIES OUT!" :lol:

The abuse he took as PM was undeserved, I think everyone agrees. But he deserves all the criticism in the world for his actions as Chancellor.
As for the BBC it's hardly pro-Tory. Bloody hard to find news on the government right now on their website because it's plastered with pictures of various Millibands.
And the Scottish Parliament, can mind its own business. I remember reading about Salmond's plan to make a minority Labour government "dance to a Scottish jig" for his support. Now he's wailing in the broadsheets because the Tories are in and they have "no mandate in Scotland". Boo-sodding-hoo. Like the SNP would have one to govern England?
If this goes tits-up, well, look at Greece. I'd rather not have riots in the street when the IMF imposes it's terms for the loan we'll need.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Oh no, I'd like a little riot. I was just musing earlier today over the fact that in 26 years as an active human, and having held Opinions for 14 of those, I have never so much as been on a demonstration. All mouth and no trousers, me.

Is it too much to ask for a chance to charge through a barricade shouting "WE ARE THE PEE-PEL!!!" ?
Pista
Cureboi

boudicca wrote:Oh no, I'd like a little riot. I was just musing earlier today over the fact that in 26 years as an active human, and having held Opinions for 14 of those, I have never so much as been on a demonstration. All mouth and no trousers, me.

Is it too much to ask for a chance to charge through a barricade shouting "WE ARE THE PEE-PEL!!!" ?
:eek:

You never struck me as the violent type.
You even sympathise with bus seats.
If this lot tried rioting they'd drink the molotov from the cocktails first.
Chucking empty bottles with flaming nappies in them isn't quite the same.
:D :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Oh no, I'd like a little riot.

Trust me, you wouldn't.
I still remember vividly the Miner's strike.
And more recently there was that poor bastard at the G20 protest.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I was only joking Don... I'm too much of a pansy for a White Riot.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:I was only joking Don... I'm too much of a pansy for a White Riot.
How about a sit in?
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

markfiend wrote:Any bets on how long the ConDem coalition can last? My fiver is on another general election before Christmas.
did you lose my address mr fiend? only that fiver never turned up...
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I did actually :lol:

PM me with a reminder and I'll stick a fiver in the post.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:I did actually :lol:

PM me with a reminder and I'll stick a fiver in the post.
Mind it doesn't get lost as a result of a strike ;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity