encores, in general

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Marcus Shaw of the Rocking Vicar wrote:The more you think about it, the dafter the whole pantomime becomes. Pre-rock, the purpose of an encore was to rewarded a particularly exemplary performance by an orchestra or artist, by refusing to allow them to leave the building until they had graced and auditorium with one more tune. This probably culminated in a standing ovation and a shower of roses. But it was the exception. It existed to denote a rare pleasure and satisfaction felt by the audience. Quite when rock tours started to include a compulsory encore in every night’s set isn’t really clear, nor why. Perhaps it was an attempt to convince the punters they had attended a uniquely excellent show and to buy albums as a memento. Or at least to demonstrate value for money – sort of a 10% extra free with every band watched? Either way, it caught on like wildfire and has been adopted by almost every live rock or pop group since.

I can just about fathom the appeal to a band’s fans. A gig is their opportunity to demonstrate their undying appreciation for the act’s talent and charisma. Bellowing and cheering throughout the set is all very well, but to summon their idols back to the spotlights for further performance feels like the apex of approval.

Except, they’re not. The band is returning come what may. It’s on the set list, it’s built into the timings and it’s probably even in the contract. The entire crowd could sit on their hands in absolute silence for the awkward hiatus and those boys will still pile back, ciggies aloft, white towels around their shoulders.

As an unwavering supporter of Manic Street Preachers, I’ve enjoyed them in concert on many occasions and I have seen them do encores. But happily, the band adhere to the original spirit of the concept, only reappearing on the odd occasion when the gig has really levitated and something stupendous has transpired (or more stupendous than usual – as I say, I’m something of an admirer).

So what exactly does the encore offer the band performing this charade, religiously, night after night? Other than a hollow feeling of pretence and repetition, that is? I can only assume that management have convinced the performers the adoring hordes will ditch them like a needy lover if they don’t follow their set with four minutes of darkness followed by the two big hits - deserved or not.

And, to be fair, they may have a point. But how pathetic is that?
pathetic is my call
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dan
Overbomber

I remember a m*****n gig where when it came to the encore Hussey said words to the effect of "We could go off now and you could shout for an encore, but f**k that, let's just carry on and we can fit in an extra song" and then going straight into the next song.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I suppose the break before the encore does give the band a chance to top up on the nose-candy...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Isn't the hour long charade before the encore a bit pathetic also?
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:I suppose the break before the encore does give the band a chance to top up on the nose-candy...
... or have a cig, rather ... :wink: ...
Pista
Cureboi

Do you really think a band would come back on stage if their set was rewarded by total silence? How embarrassing would that be?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

At their prime, they were one of the best live bands on the planet.

It's been too long since I've seen 'em to say if that's still the case for them, though. Time takes a toll on all men, and both Rontrose and Dancing Eagle have left the band.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:Do you really think a band would come back on stage if their set was rewarded by total silence? How embarrassing would that be?
Never thought about that ... :eek: ... so deeply used to that sort of punishment that I stopped to acknowledge that with notice ... :lol: ...

But of course, usually it were only natural ... keep off, stay away, go elsewhere, find another occupation ... if you can ... :wink: ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Dan wrote:I remember a m*****n gig where when it came to the encore Hussey said words to the effect of "We could go off now and you could shout for an encore, but f**k that, let's just carry on and we can fit in an extra song" and then going straight into the next song.
This happened at the Sisters gig at the Nottingham Union Rowing Club in '83 too (the tour when Ed Kuepper's laughing Clowns were the support). The venue was so unsuited to live music that the band had to make their way through the crowd to get to and from the stage, hence the early encore.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Being645 wrote:
markfiend wrote:I suppose the break before the encore does give the band a chance to top up on the nose-candy...
... or have a cig, rather ... :wink: ...
Or just to retune everything a little?

FWIW, I think most bands would better do away with the main set and stick to just encores ;D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

mental
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Morale Vampire
Road Kill

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Dan wrote:I remember a m*****n gig where when it came to the encore Hussey said words to the effect of "We could go off now and you could shout for an encore, but f**k that, let's just carry on and we can fit in an extra song" and then going straight into the next song.
This happened at the Sisters gig at the Nottingham Union Rowing Club in '83 too (the tour when Ed Kuepper's laughing Clowns were the support). The venue was so unsuited to live music that the band had to make their way through the crowd to get to and from the stage, hence the early encore.
I remember that night, it was my 1st proper Sisters gig. People in the crowd swinging off bits of the ceiling, bassist getting quite vocal and almost pysical with the bouncer for reprimanding the young rascals. Good time.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

EATB the other night in York did a mini greatest hits set followed by the Ocean Rain album in full....perfect way to end a gig, except they ruined it and came back for two encores....why???
James Blast
Banned

"fourth album" game over :|
~ Peter Steele
DerekR
Doobie Brother

James Blast wrote:"fourth album" game over :|
Don't you like it? You should have said....
Andie
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:"fourth album" game over :|
What was their 4th album? I gave up after Porcupine as it was a bit ropey with only a couple of decent tunes and shabby production values :eek: :innocent: :wink:
James Blast
Banned

Ocean Rain

I quite like Porcupine but yeah, the cracks were starting to appear. :|
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

The only good thing about Porcupine is the 25th Anniversary Edition with the lovely bonus tracks :)
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
James Blast
Banned

Got the first 3, all 25th Anniv. editions, and every tune's a cracker. Personal stand-out track is Broke My Neck (Long Version). everyone on earth needs to hear this tune. :D
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Got the first 3, all 25th Anniv. editions, and every tune's a cracker.
Yeah...almost...still some of Porcupine is skipped over
James Blast wrote:Personal stand-out track is Broke My Neck (Long Version).
Indeed
James Blast wrote:everyone on earth needs to hear this tune. :D
:notworthy: :notworthy:
James Blast
Banned

Andie wrote:
James Blast wrote:Got the first 3, all 25th Anniv. editions, and every tune's a cracker.
Aye I guess, the title track is a real drag and Higher Hell is workmanlike at best, cracks appear? :|

stumbled upon this on Friday, worth a view for any EatB fans - http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/ ... hall_1983/
Last edited by James Blast on 02 Oct 2011, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
Andie wrote:
Aye I guess, the title track is a real drag and Higher Hell is workmanlike at best, cracks appear? :|
We're in agreement...WTF is happening??
James Blast
Banned

sorry, just edited my above post, clicky the linky it's well worth it

as for agreement, I allas thought we were apart from one time you took the hump at me, we've met, had a few beers, loadsa guid chat, similar backgrounds and age. I'm still on yer team man :D
~ Peter Steele