Steve Jobs

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Well, sorry for his friends and family, but the chap hardly created AIDS vaccines, did he? He manufactured clever little gizmos without which the world would have kept turning quite well. And he wasn't above outsourcing work to the slave labour economies of the East, including one with conditions so go-awful the workers had to be pressured into signing anti-suicide pledges. Goodbye clever producer of pointless, money-wasting gadgets. :|
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
sultan2075
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:You're back! Fantastic. Hope all is well.
Thanks, man. All is...what it is.

You know, in spite of the serious political differences we've had in the past, I must say that I love your sig quote. :D
Thanks; it's from Chicago's own (late) Allan Bloom, in The Closing of the American Mind.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:Well, sorry for his friends and family, but the chap hardly created AIDS vaccines, did he? He manufactured clever little gizmos without which the world would have kept turning quite well. And he wasn't above outsourcing work to the slave labour economies of the East, including one with conditions so go-awful the workers had to be pressured into signing anti-suicide pledges. Goodbye clever producer of pointless, money-wasting gadgets. :|
Call me a b*stard but I agree. RIP and I feel for his family/friends too etc but this outpouring seems a little OTT.

Maybe the Facebook status of a friend saying "I've been in tears all day, I feel like I've lost an Uncle" made me a little less sympathetic.

:?
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

DeWinter wrote:Well, sorry for his friends and family, but the chap hardly created AIDS vaccines, did he? He manufactured clever little gizmos without which the world would have kept turning quite well. And he wasn't above outsourcing work to the slave labour economies of the East, including one with conditions so go-awful the workers had to be pressured into signing anti-suicide pledges. Goodbye clever producer of pointless, money-wasting gadgets. :|
I posted a similar sentiment on another forum & was flamed by a few posters trying to tell me that Jobs had basically changed the world as we know it!. :eek:

The guy was instrumental in bringing some clever bits of kit out (presumably some anonymous behind the scenes employes did the actual inventing?) but that's it, isn't it? As good as the Apple kit is, world leaders jerking his memory off & random punters across the globe treating it like the death of a family member!!? I saw some tv footage of candle lit shrines complete with crying adults outside Apple stores.......the world's gone mad.

Jobs (and Apple in general) were very good at developing new products & absolutely phenomenal at marketing them & even then you have to ignore the very barren decade pre 'i era' where they almost went out of business.

I'll happily RIP him, as I would anyone else but the reaction to his death seemed to be the latest Diana/Jade Goody cult of personality mourn fest.
Give me one good reason
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

WTF when did The Onion put up a paywall? :?:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

all i remember was his talk on *connecting the dots*

R.I.P mr. Jobs.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity