Petition to stop Josephs Well being turned into a restaurant

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
originalgoth
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

This is the link to an online petition. It seems that the owners of Josephs Well want to get rid of it as a venue & turn it into a restaurant.

http://www.change.org/petitions/josephs ... restaurant

With it being part of the Leeds music scene & The Sisters playing there I thought this is very relevent on here.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Done.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

And where is petition to force you to give me your money? Or to change your place of living to Belarus?
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Bartek wrote:And where is petition to force you to give me your money? Or to change your place of living to Belarus?
You can make yer own on petitions.com ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
DeWinter

originalgoth wrote:This is the link to an online petition. It seems that the owners of Josephs Well want to get rid of it as a venue & turn it into a restaurant.

http://www.change.org/petitions/josephs ... restaurant

With it being part of the Leeds music scene & The Sisters playing there I thought this is very relevent on here.
Could be it's just not making any money as a music venue. A lot of the live music places where I used to live closed down for that reason. At least it's staying open and keeping the name!
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
taylor
Slight Overbomber

i prefer eat, sorry :lol:
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Very relevant and signed. I think it'll delay the inevitable at best though. :(
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I already signed this when Chris put it on twitter.

It would be a shame to lose what is pretty much the only small live music venue left anywhere near the centre of Leeds. It's not like it can be losing money as a live venue; they seemed to be raking it in over the bar when the Eureka Machines played there the other week.

Also, opening a new restaurant in Leeds right now strikes me as a particularly bad idea; restaurants seem to be closing on a daily basis. Not to mention the fact that the Well isn't exactly ideally placed for "passing trade".

The Duchess was allowed to go without much of a fight; bugger it if they'll get rid of the Well too. :evil:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Methedrone
Amphetamine Filth

originalgoth

It's a sad day when breweries & owners are only looking for the Quick Buck and don't support live venues.

Best of Luck to the management & staff in whatever they do next, hopefully they'll find a better situation to open a new venue where they will get the support of all involved.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bastard greedy scumf*cker building management companies.

I hope the whole f*cking complex burns to the floor the day after the Well people are turfed out.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Wiki Wizard

markfiend wrote:Bastard greedy scumf*cker building management companies.

I hope the whole f*cking complex burns to the floor the day after the Well people are turfed out.
:lol: :lol: ... those companies 'd even make a profit out of that, be sure ... :evil: ...

Still, completely agree ... sorry to hear the petition didn't help ... :( ... best to everyone involved ...
Methedrone
Amphetamine Filth

Seems like the music is to continue after a facelift, may not be too bad, unless they start hiking ticket prices to pay for it...

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-4351074#
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Methedrone wrote:Seems like the music is to continue after a facelift, may not be too bad, unless they start hiking ticket prices to pay for it...

Excellent news. They've done a great job with the Duck and Drake IMO. More power to them!
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Methedrone wrote:Seems like the music is to continue after a facelift, may not be too bad, unless they start hiking ticket prices to pay for it...

... ;D ... pleased to hear, thanks for the info ... :notworthy: ...

Also lovely to read that this is supported by Crash Records as well ...
Methedrone
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

markfiend wrote:Bastard greedy scumf*cker building management companies.

—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:I hope the whole f*cking complex burns to the floor the day after the Well people are turfed out.
That might just be in their advantage, in fact :|

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

:( ... if the world were full of idiots only, but no, there are assholes ... :( ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
markfiend wrote:I hope the whole f*cking complex burns to the floor the day after the Well people are turfed out.
That might just be in their advantage, in fact :|

IZ.
Yeah you might be right :|
—Bertrand Russell
blackandgold65
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I am sorry to hear that about the Well in Leeds....up & down the country it is the same sad story....we need another fecking gastro-pub like a hole in the head IMHO.

In Bristol near where I am, I am glad to say that new venues are springing up and old venues are being reclaimed again for the sake of music. Let's hope someone does the same with the Well at some point. As we go full circle and into another era of Thatcherite like/Conservative Britain, songs like Ghost Town by the Specials etc all seems so relevant again...well, we will revolt, as music is like family and very goddamn important thank you. So you can stick your gastro pubs where the sun don't shine. Over & out....
"I think insipid music is very dangerous. It's a narcotic for the nation as you very well know."