+++MEDIA ALERT - Upside Down, Creation Records Story+++

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

BBC4 tonight 9pm
Duration: 1 hour, 40 minutes

Millions of sales on both sides of the Atlantic, near bankruptcy, pills, thrills, spats, prats, successes, excesses, pick-me-ups and breakdowns - all spiralled together to create some of the most defining music of the 20th century.

This is the definitive and fully-authorised documentary of the highs and lows of the UK's most inspired and dissolute independent record label - Creation Records. Over 25 years after Creation's first records, it follows the story from the days of the Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Primal Scream and Teenage Fanclub to the Boo Radleys, the Super Furry Animals and of course Oasis, among many, many more.

The label's enigmatic founder Alan McGee talks candidly of the trail which led from humble beginnings in Glasgow, via drink and drug dependency to being wined and dined at No 10 Downing Street by Tony Blair.

follwed by:

Creation at the BBC
A trip through the BBC archives from programmes such as Whistle Test, the Oxford Road Show, Top of the Pops and Later with Jools Holland to find some rare and some familiar footage of the bands who were on one of the UK's most seminal and important record labels, Creation Records.

Founded in 1983 by Alan McGee, Dick Green and Jo Foster, Creation Records was started off as a cottage industry producing 7" singles from a bedroom and went on to sign the one of the biggest bands in the world - Oasis.

From East Kilbride the Reid brothers, Jim and William, bandmate Douglas Hart and drummer Bobby Gillespie exploded onto the scene as the Jesus and Mary Chain on Whistle Test in 1985, and from the same year a rare piece of footage from Peter Astor's band The Loft on the Oxford Road Show. The Loft morphed into his next project the Weather Prophets, who we see on the Whistle Test later that year.

My Bloody Valentine nearly bankrupted Creation but produced one of the label's flagship albums, Isn't Anything, while Slowdive were front runners in the 'shoegazing' scene. The 1990s heralded the halcyon days of Creation with the release of Primal Scream's zeitgeist album Screamadelica and arguably the most important band of the decade, Oasis, signing to the label in 1993. Thus followed a string of chart successes for Creation with Ride, the Boo Radleys, Super Furry Animals, Teenage Fanclub and, of course, Oasis.

The label disintegrated in 1999, but undoubtedly produced some of the most important records of the late 1980s and 1990s.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

Has this been on before? I think I've seen it or something very similar. It's well worth a watch - moreso if you've got a comfy chair to sit on :D
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
James Blast
Banned

No! Now get bent!!!! ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pista
Cureboi

I'll have to keep my peepers on isohunt to see if someone uploads it.
No Beeb4 in Dalek land :(
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Debaser
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:No! Now get bent!!!! ;D
As I mentioned, I shall be off to pat some very posh ponies today. And my bending days are well and truly over :lol:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else