Sisters played Paris in 1984???

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

playboy wrote:
stufarq wrote:
playboy wrote:I can also inform that they were booked to play in Lund at the venue Mejeriet (where they are playing later this month) in 1986.
1986? Which "they" would that be or were they booked before they knew that they'd be breaking up?
Yes, they were booked before the break up. They decided not to continue autumn 1985. By that time time a few gigs were booked to take place in early 1986, it was only a few months away.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote: Was there not also a cancelled tour in the UK in Autumn 1983 which is not listed in the cancelled gigs list ? Several venues adevrtised gigs which were then cancelled, IIRC.
That must have been in november then. When did Benn Gunn left? Anyone know?
In October '83, according to this source ...
I think the cancelled gigs were in September or October '83, around the same time as the Haçienda gig listed in the gigographies. Nottingham Rock City definitely advertised a date, which never took place and I think that there were others too. Did the Haç gig definitely take place ?? Anyone else remember this ?
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote: Was there not also a cancelled tour in the UK in Autumn 1983 which is not listed in the cancelled gigs list ? Several venues adevrtised gigs which were then cancelled, IIRC.
That must have been in november then. When did Benn Gunn left? Anyone know?
In October '83, according to this source ...
He probably made his last concert 22 september then. Maybe the cancelled shows were right after this one? In late october they were in USA, without Benn, I guess.
playboy

markfiend wrote:The last gig in '83 was October 31 IIRC, but I think Ben had gone before that.
Yeah, I remember now. The first concert with only Andrew, Gary and Craig took place 26 october in Stockholm.
Being645
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote:
markfiend wrote:The last gig in '83 was October 31 IIRC, but I think Ben had gone before that.
Yeah, I remember now. The first concert with only Andrew, Gary and Craig took place 26 october in Stockholm.
... :lol: ... but isn't it debated whether that gig took place at all ... :eek: :lol: ...

http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 569#573569
playboy

Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote:
... :lol: ... but isn't it debated whether that gig took place at all ... :eek: :lol: ...

Yes, it is debated. But it took place. They played there wednesday 26th october 1983. There is a website about The Electric Garden, where there is a text (in swedish) about the gig, also a picture of the poster and advert in the newspaper.
Also, if listening to the recording you can hear some people talking swedish and also Andrew is letting the audience know that they only have one guitarist. He is also joking about the drummachine. Very funny indeed.
Being645
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote: Yeah, I remember now. The first concert with only Andrew, Gary and Craig took place 26 october in Stockholm.

Yes, it is debated. But it took place. They played there wednesday 26th october 1983. There is a website about The Electric Garden, where there is a text (in swedish) about the gig, also a picture of the poster and advert in the newspaper.
Also, if listening to the recording you can hear some people talking swedish and also Andrew is letting the audience know that they only have one guitarist. He is also joking about the drummachine. Very funny indeed.
It's a wonderful concert. I had really wondered if that had not taken place at the Electric Garden.
But the gig is not listed in The Sisters' own official gigography. Maybe that's been the reason for any debates ...

Anyway, now this question is cleared. ;D
playboy

Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote: ... :lol: ... but isn't it debated whether that gig took place at all ... :eek: :lol: ...

It's a wonderful concert. I had really wondered if that had not taken place at the Electric Garden.
But the gig is not listed in The Sisters' own official gigography. Maybe that's been the reason for any debates ...

Yes, I like that concert a lot. There are more concert not listed in their official gigography.
Being645
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote: It's a wonderful concert. I had really wondered if that had not taken place at the Electric Garden.

Yes, I like that concert a lot. There are more concert not listed in their official gigography.
Absolutely, some of them can be found in the Wiki and in the UltimateSistersGuide

But perhaps, you know even more such events ... :wink: ...
Dan
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:It's a wonderful concert. I had really wondered if that had not taken place at the Electric Garden.

Yes, a few years ago when people were doubting it... there was no evidence. Now we have the poster.
Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote:Yes, I like that concert a lot. There are more concert not listed in their official gigography.
Absolutely, some of them can be found in the Wiki and in the UltimateSistersGuide

A lot of years ago I remember a thread where I posted a list of gigs not on the gigography, and others did too. It might be still there.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Dan wrote:
Being645 wrote:It's a wonderful concert. I had really wondered if that had not taken place at the Electric Garden.

Yes, a few years ago when people were doubting it... there was no evidence. Now we have the poster.
Being645 wrote:
playboy wrote:Yes, I like that concert a lot. There are more concert not listed in their official gigography.

A lot of years ago I remember a thread where I posted a list of gigs not on the gigography, and others did too. It might be still there.
Could be worth a search ... :wink: ... though comparing is quite a job as well. :lol:

So, at least on my part, that's nothing for now - I'm concentrated on the Wiki's bootlegs sections ...

But still, that poster will be sent up there before the weekend, hhm ... no, why wait ... done now ...
Last edited by Being645 on 09 Nov 2011, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
playboy

Being645 wrote:
Dan wrote:

Being645 wrote: Absolutely, some of them can be found in the Wiki and in the UltimateSistersGuide

Could be worth a search ... :wink: ... though comparing is quite a job as well. :lol:

So, at least on my part, that's nothing for now - I'm concentrated on the Wiki's bootlegs sections ...

But still, that poster will be sent up there before the weekend, hhm ...
Good, keep up the work! If I find out more I will help you.
Hm... I am dreaming again about the book about Sisters.... would be great idea, after all...... in addition to the real story it could include the definitive giglist, included all cancelled all all forgotten....
For instance, one gig that no-one seems to know much about the very, very first. The one BEFORE 16th february.
The palce is known but not the date. It is therefore, for historic reasons, that their second gig is the "celebration date".
Their first ever gig took place in Leeds, the Riley Smith Hall inside the Leeds University.
Being645
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote: Good, keep up the work! If I find out more I will help you.
Hm... I am dreaming again about the book about Sisters.... would be great idea, after all...... in addition to the real story it could include the definitive giglist, included all cancelled all all forgotten....
For instance, one gig that no-one seems to know much about the very, very first. The one BEFORE 16th february.
The palce is known but not the date. It is therefore, for historic reasons, that their second gig is the "celebration date".
Their first ever gig took place in Leeds, the Riley Smith Hall inside the Leeds University.
One interesting chapter were as well the whole F-Club thing. There is so little know about it, and also about The Sisters' gigs there ... :wink: ...
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

I remember that they also were booked to play Lyon, West Side Club ( my hometown) in September 84, with the March Violets as support band.

My little finger tells me the cancellation of this french "mini tour" could be one of the reasons Von loves us so much...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

playboy wrote:For instance, one gig that no-one seems to know much about the very, very first. The one BEFORE 16th february.
There were apparently more than one other gig before 16/2/81 but not under the Sisters name
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
Dan wrote:

Being645 wrote: Absolutely, some of them can be found in the Wiki and in the UltimateSistersGuide

But still, that poster will be sent up there before the weekend, hhm ... no, why wait ... done now ...
4 April 81 - Isn't this just a misdated version of 4 May 81??

The setlists are a mess. They've both been combined on various bootlegs probably leading to the confusion. Gimme Gimme Gimme doesn't belong, it's been added on from a 1984 gig.
These are the recordings that exist for these two... I assume anything additional is a guess or a mistake.
4 May 81. Setlist. Damage Done/Watch/Teachers/Adrenochrome/Sister Ray
7 May 81. Setlist. 1969/Sister Ray

6 Sep 81 Leeds Queen's Hall - don't know if they did this gig, I was told it was a mistake in early gigographys and they never played it. Confusion possibly caused because Stafford & Leeds were both Futuramas.

29 Mar 82 Keighley Funhouse. Setlist included an encore of Silver Machine, joined onstage by members of March Violets (I was told by someone who was at the gig).

March/April 82 Colne, Franks & Oct/Nov 82 Colne, Franks (I know someone who was there, but he can't remember the exact dates)

Dec 82 London, The Venue (mentioned in a Spiral Scratch article)

10 Feb 83 Brixton - I always assumed this was a misdating of one of the other Brixtons

30 Oct 84 Riverside & St George's Hall are 2 different venues. Gig originally planned for Riverside Club, then moved to St. George's Hall

20 May 84. I was told it moved to 22nd May... then was cancelled. (I also have it listed as Exeter University, so maybe it moved venues as well as dates?)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dan is the Man who Can 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:Dan is the Man who Can 8)
*nods*
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
playboy

markfiend wrote:
playboy wrote:For instance, one gig that no-one seems to know much about the very, very first. The one BEFORE 16th february.
There were apparently more than one other gig before 16/2/81 but not under the Sisters name
This is interesting information. Would love to know about these. I only knew of one. Hope we can find out more.
Cheers!!!!
Dan
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Would these gigs have been not long before, say in Jan 81 for example, or quite a few months earlier. I'm thinking if it'd only been a short time before then the performance would have been similar to the two May'81 recordings, but if a long time before then they could have been very different.
And what about the lineup? If it was months earlier then maybe Eldritch on a real drumkit and Marx on vocals? That'd have been an interesting gig to witness!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Dan wrote: 4 April 81 - Isn't this just a misdated version of 4 May 81??
That sounds very reasonable, but according to the Wiki, it's been a support act with the Tompson Twins.
I did check one of their gigographies (songkick) ... and there is no such gig listed.
Anyway, songkick is not the completest of sources ...
Dan wrote: The setlists are a mess. They've both been combined on various bootlegs probably leading to the confusion. Gimme Gimme Gimme doesn't belong, it's been added on from a 1984 gig.
These are the recordings that exist for these two... I assume anything additional is a guess or a mistake.
4 May 81. Setlist. Damage Done/Watch/Teachers/Adrenochrome/Sister Ray
7 May 81. Setlist. 1969/Sister Ray
The setlists for the earliest gigs are the horror ... :lol: ...

You think, they didn't play Good Things there at all :eek: :eek: ...

For May 7, there is the LIFE-book given as source in the Wiki ...
Bootlegs could also give a hint:

In Red, Good Things PLUS 2, Brimstone & TreacleBrimstone & Treacle could support your theory,

but not so Carmina Burana ...

With Rough Diamonds and Monochrome, I'm not happy anyway ... :?

As to Gimme, Gimme, Gimme you're surely right. They played that song only in 1984 ... so, I've corrected this ...
Dan wrote: 6 Sep 81 Leeds Queen's Hall - don't know if they did this gig, I was told it was a mistake in early gigographys and they never played it. Confusion possibly caused because Stafford & Leeds were both Futuramas.

29 Mar 82 Keighley Funhouse. Setlist included an encore of Silver Machine, joined onstage by members of March Violets (I was told by someone who was at the gig).

March/April 82 Colne, Franks & Oct/Nov 82 Colne, Franks (I know someone who was there, but he can't remember the exact dates)

Dec 82 London, The Venue (mentioned in a Spiral Scratch article)

10 Feb 83 Brixton - I always assumed this was a misdating of one of the other Brixtons

30 Oct 84 Riverside & St George's Hall are 2 different venues. Gig originally planned for Riverside Club, then moved to St. George's Hall

20 May 84. I was told it moved to 22nd May... then was cancelled. (I also have it listed as Exeter University, so maybe it moved venues as well as dates?)
Great infos ... ;D :notworthy: ...

I shall implement what can be and await further details where can be obtained ... ;D ... :notworthy:
taylor
Slight Overbomber

:D
Being645
Above the Chemist

:lol: ... Wow, these are really treasures, taylor ... ;D :notworthy:

Even an announcement for an F-Club gig ...

and some info for the damned Aratta in Moers ... ... * faint ... :lol: ...

you know I will download (immediately, no in fact I have already), modify and integrate them all (next week) ... :twisted: :lol: ...
Dan
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:That sounds very reasonable, but according to the Wiki, it's been a support act with the Tompson Twins.
But the wiki also lists a setlist when no such recording exists, supporting the idea that it's from a misdated bootleg.
Combine that with the common knowledge that their first gig was supporting the Thompson Twins + the long-held but incorrect knowledge that the two May'81 tapes were of the 1st and 2nd gig.
Being645 wrote:The setlists for the earliest gigs are the horror ... Laughing ...

You think, they didn't play Good Things there at all
They played it on 16 Feb 81 so undoubtedly they played it at many of their 1981 gigs, but it's not on the two May'81 tapes - neither of which are the complete gigs - so it's hightly likely they played it at those gigs. But... if you're going to speculate and add Good Things into the setlist just because it's likely they might have played it you might as well continue and post guessed/assumed setlists for every gig that isn't available as a recording!
Being645 wrote:With Rough Diamonds...
The Hull Dingwalls recordings are Glasgow Nightmoves 1.4.83. A recording of Hull doesn't exist. The recording purporting to be Hull is Glasgow Nightmoves, and usually with the last song missing.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Dan wrote:
Being645 wrote:That sounds very reasonable, but according to the Wiki, it's been a support act with the Tompson Twins.
But the wiki also lists a setlist when no such recording exists, supporting the idea that it's from a misdated bootleg.
Combine that with the common knowledge that their first gig was supporting the Thompson Twins + the long-held but incorrect knowledge that the two May'81 tapes were of the 1st and 2nd gig.
Being645 wrote:The setlists for the earliest gigs are the horror ... Laughing ...

You think, they didn't play Good Things there at all
They played it on 16 Feb 81 so undoubtedly they played it at many of their 1981 gigs, but it's not on the two May'81 tapes - neither of which are the complete gigs - so it's hightly likely they played it at those gigs. But... if you're going to speculate and add Good Things into the setlist just because it's likely they might have played it you might as well continue and post guessed/assumed setlists for every gig that isn't available as a recording!
Being645 wrote:With Rough Diamonds...
The Hull Dingwalls recordings are Glasgow Nightmoves 1.4.83. A recording of Hull doesn't exist. The recording purporting to be Hull is Glasgow Nightmoves, and usually with the last song missing.
Hell ... that sounds all horrible to me. Some of these setlists were already there, and I had taken it for granted that they should be ok.
Those I have added are all compared with three different lists. And where those three lists differed, I have marked the as
not confirmed or something.

Also, I do not know about any past incorrect assumptions ... that makes me all twirl ... :lol: ...

and two days or so before the next gig, I'm not on the height of concentrating on numbers and stuff, anyway ... ;D :lol: ...

I shall bookmark this thread and return to it as soon as, eh ... possible ...